Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: do you have, or are planning to have, a watermaker
Yes 73 84.88%
No 13 15.12%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 12:09   #76

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Watermaker - Are you Planning to Have One?

When industry started using cooling water">engine cooling water to desalinate water at less than atmospheric pressure many vessels and remote locals that produced their own power were freed from the burden of dependining

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2014, 13:26   #77

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

When industry started using engine cooling water to desalinate water at less than atmospheric pressure many vessels and remote locals that produced their own power were freed from the burden of depending on remote and often unreliable sources.

To my knowledge, this has not been scaled down in size or price to suit a small sailboat. Had I the facilities I would like to put one together but alas..

An RO system with the HP pump driven by the engine is at least less of an electricity hog.

At present, I filter and boil all the water and expect to continue to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2014, 16:03   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

on our 380 we mounted the pump and membrane under the starboard berth
the seawater inlet and strainer below the floor panel in front of the berth
freshwater inlet T-d under the basin and control panel in the small narrow compartment in front of the berth with the lift up lid where we also stored spare membranes. Produced water ran forward to a valve over the tanks for selecting tank 1 or tank 2 to fill. reasoning was to keep the weight aft and balance the battery/electronics weight in the port hull. It worked well for us. We had a desolator D60. You may need to check if any of the spectra components need to be below the waterline
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 20:51   #79
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequila View Post
Just bought a 'Spectra Cape Horn' for my Lagoon 380 and would love some advice on where to position everything - if anyone has the time!

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'd be more than happy to help you out with any installation, operation and servicing of your new Cape Horn Extreme 330.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 19:53   #80

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I suggest a class on statistics and sampling techniques if you really believe this.

I've been involved in sampling as part of a few research projects in the past and this pole while interesting is extremely biased.
And so have I. Obviously the poll is not a experimentially valid research design. Its a simple indicator to be taken with a grain of salt.

I note it has now moved to 85%. I really don't care. All I know is when I do start living aboard I will have a watermaker as 85% of the respondants here have indicated.

Do I really think this indicative of 85% of all sailboats. No.
Do I care. No.

Part of this trend is the increased affordability, availability and reliability of watermakers and electrical systems, etc.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 17:31   #81

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Sorry guys, but I've been out of communication range for the last week and though my name has been mentioned a couple of times I've not had a chance to add my two cents. Please feel free to PM me before buying anything from DIYWatermakers. The observation has been made that I have a Katadyn watermaker. This is correct. I attempted to have a DIYwatermakers AC30. The project was a total failure for numerous reasons, not the worst of which was that the membrane pressure vessels leaked. I will be writing a complete review of the experience shortly for the forum. The Katadyn system is functioning perfectly fine, I was just going for more capacity. One thing I did learn from the experience is that dispite information on the web to the contrary the Katadyn 160 uses a standard 2521A membrane. You do not have to buy a custom membrane for three times the price from Katadyn. This may not be true of other models, but it's probably worth checking out if you need a new Membrane for your Katadyn.

I came across a cruisers blog that said he was very happy with his DIY watermaker. The blog I saw was written a few years ago and may well have been true at the time it was written. I also saw a very nice display at the boat show">Annapolis boat show last fall. It looked very professional. It meant absolutely nothing.

Bill
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 15:59   #82

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

For those of you interested I have posted my product review for the DIYwatermakers.com AC series Waterpro AC 30.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker