Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: do you have, or are planning to have, a watermaker
Yes 73 84.88%
No 13 15.12%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2014, 21:39   #61

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Watermaker - Are you Planning to Have One?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Mark, You make some great points here that continue to remind us of the diversity in the cruising world. We can easily thrive on our water tankage for a month without strict rationing, but we do cruise in areas that make this time requirement rare. We do find ourselves in isolation for periods of time. I would not want people to think that we are hanging out at the marina tiki bars all the time, but you're right! We do not suffer from a lack of access to free or cheap water. This is the reason why there are those that need water makers and those that don't find them worthwhile. For us, being retired is a huge factor related to the way we manage time and access to water or other provisions.
Be that as it may the vast number of respondants to the poll 80% have indicated they are planning on having a watermaker which says it all..
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Be that as it may the vast number of respondants to the poll 80% have indicated they are planning on having a watermaker which says it all..
Well, not quite all, but a good 80%!
Old 09-03-2014, 08:03   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I suggest a class on statistics and sampling techniques if you really believe this.

I've been involved in sampling as part of a few research projects in the past and this pole while interesting is extremely biased.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06   #64
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I've been involved in sampling as part of a few research projects in the past and this pole while interesting is extremely biased.
So what. Thanks for your useful topic insight.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So what. Thanks for your useful topic insight.
To suggest the a small biased sample tells the whole story is far from knowing the whole story. To accept it as such is pattently false. I tend to disagre pattently false statements.

What it probably tells us is about a very specific and small subset of cruisers who were drawn to the way you posted the poll. Without studying how people were drawn in it tells us little. If you want more insight, I suggest redoing the poll but include catagories breaking it down by cruising types. Unfortunately a touchy subject as people read things into it also it's a much more difficult pole to conduct. Some items to factor in:
- Cruising area (what is the availability and cost of water)
- Marina vs anchoring time (what is the ease of refilling tanks)
- Duration of cruises (An occasional hassle is different than an ongoing one along with the cost both initial and ongoing maintenance)
- Monthly budget (is it cost prohibitive to purchase)

Given a little time, I'm sure I could come up with several more.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:04   #66
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
To suggest the a small biased sample tells the whole story is far from knowing the whole story. To accept it as such is pattently false. I tend to disagre pattently false statements.

Thanks again, because everyone was believing that the simple poll (as opposed to the pole you referred to) was the whole story.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:14   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Sure, the thread title attracts those with a prior interest in watermakers. We should all recognize that these forum polls lack the sophistication of statistical accuracy, but that is not their purpose; however it does allow people to share their thoughts.

It's probably not worthwhile for us to spend time debating the validity of the poll. I have shared those reasons why I am not in the market for a watermakers and we can all appreciate hearing from others who have them, want them or are undecided.
Old 09-03-2014, 16:16   #68

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Sure, the thread title attracts those with a prior interest in watermakers. We should all recognize that these forum polls lack the sophistication of statistical accuracy, but that is not their purpose; however it does allow people to share their thoughts.

It's probably not worthwhile for us to spend time debating the validity of the poll. I have shared those reasons why I am not in the market for a watermakers and we can all appreciate hearing from others who have them, want them or are undecided.
I agree totally and would add that because an individual starts a thread, does not inherently mean it has to go "their way". It's a great opportunity for all of us to add to the information at hand and make better personal choices when buying a product.
Parallel to that, we have great resources here in our membership, who gives us an inside to a product because they are commercially involved. I would hate to see them chased away by less than kind remarks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:47   #69
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: watermaker - are you planning to have one

Quote:
I figure this is basically a passivate poke at DIY Watermakers

So since I have no personal direct experience with them but you appear to have some issue, post it and don't play patty cake.
Maybe you missed Captain Bill's commets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Don't try DIY water makers. They have recently gone to carbon fiber pressure vessels and they don't work. I tried them and have gone through 4 without any of them holding water. One failed under boost pump pressure. The other three all failed withing 30 seconds of turning on the the high pressure pump. Two had mutiple weeping leaks coming through the sides of the vessels. The third had a couple of weeping leaks plus one that shot high pressure sea water mist 3 feet all throgh the sides of the vessels. They literally don't hold water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
That is correct. They leaked from the end caps some as well and I agree they weren't smooth enough, but I might have been able to work on that, but there's no fixing the leaks through the sides. Like I said one failed under boost pump pressure which is maybe 50 PSI. At some point I'll publish a full account of my experience as a product review, but at the moment things are not fully resolved.
I saw this thread late since I'm currently in Ensenada Mexico installing a 30GPH water maker on a cruiser's boat in exchange for Tacos...yes I do work for Tacos! To date, I have helped 5 DIY water maker clients rebuild and get their system back up and running after failures the Company was either unable or unwilling to resolve (I don't know which and Capt Bill is not one of them), as you can imagine these Cruisers are pretty upset.

Sure people can cruise without a water maker...I just know that there wouldn't be any "romantic activity" aboard our boat with sea water or Hudson garden sprayer showers.

By the way, the dock water here at Cruise Port Marina in Ensenada, MX is 2000ppm out of the hose and non-drinkable. So right now we are running the 30 GPH water maker in the fresh water mode by pulling in non-chlorinated dock water and filling the ships tank with 9ppm bottled quality water. Is a water maker a "must have"? No, but at times like this, it sure beats paying for a marina slip AND still having to coordinate the 5-Gal garafong delivery.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 18:26   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Sure people can cruise without a water maker...I just know that there wouldn't be any "romantic activity" aboard our boat with sea water ..............
Cleanliness is next to "Oh my God" ...liness! I understand this well and live by this code; however, the source of the fresh water varies with accessability considering your crusing location. !

As I am and have been S. Hudson Force since 1946 I'm always thrilled by the post of the Hudson Force owners.
Old 09-03-2014, 19:23   #71

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

By the way, the dock water here at Cruise Port Marina in Ensenada, MX is 2000ppm out of the hose and non-drinkable.
Interesting...The water I filled up with from Baja Naval (Ensenada) had an odd taste. We never became sick but our coffee tasted like crap.
Again...this is all good information that we can use to make an informed decision. I did purchase a used Spectra that needs a rebuild. You don't always have to spend $5K.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 03:57   #72
CLOD

Well regardless of how simple the poll is, the results have been staying pretty consistent of about 80% have 1 or plan to have one. Yet if one were to read poster comments in threads it would seem they aren't all that common.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:07   #73

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Hey Sailorboy thanks for the poll it was a great read and brought lots of ideas out everybody has there own thoughts but for me getting on a bit carrying "jerry jugs love saying that being and Ozzie we say jerry cans" really became an issue with worn out shoulders and buggered back I fitted a 50ltr/hr 12volt unit should have done it 20 years ago!!!!! I run it mostly from solar/wind I sail a steely and now wash down after a passage with fresh water fantastic no salt feel and has a major effect on my maintenance. I now have a washing machine so can enjoy fresh clothes and bed linen like I am back on land, I can have a fresh shower after every swim with a shower on the duck board Wow what a change this has made I say for any cruises make it a priority as it means you can cruise where you like and can shower ect when you like Great Poll Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:04   #74

Quote:
Thanks again, because everyone was believing that the simple poll (as opposed to the pole you referred to) was the whole story.
I suggest you re-read downunder's comment.

That is exactly what his comment says.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:02   #75

Just bought a 'Spectra Cape Horn' for my Lagoon 380 and would love some advice on where to position everything - if anyone has the time!
Tequila is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, watermaker