Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2015, 13:05   #256

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

God forbid

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 13:32   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You can't quote Jim's post and then rebut it by adding 'in the world'. If your going to do that, then by 'region', the America's is number one, on top, the most, the highest number of homicides anywhere. All he said is the USA is violent and I honestly can't see how anyone can rebutt that simple comment. It is. Doesn't mean there arn't lots of non violent areas.
What
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 14:11   #258

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
Having the ear of the USCG, I have never heard of the USCG doing night boarding without good reason (usually it would be to assist another agency i.e., DEA, ICE, or Customs), outside the territorial or commercial limits. If you are transiting to a specific port or another country inside the 12 mile limit you may be paid a visit DURING DAY LIGHT hours.

Also, if you haven't noticed, all the CG Cutters are WHITE unless they are involved in Ice Patrols and they are Red, CG Aircraft also follow the same color plan . Buoy Tenders are Black and only used for heavy Harbor Maintenance. The Safe Boats are usually Red and Black, with an Aluminum Cabin area. DEA-ICE are the only agencies that use Black equipment, that I know of.

AS for uniforms are usually blue or of a blue pattern if the wearer is not using a survival suit.

Hope this will help everyone to know who they are dealing with, when dealing with the USCG.
Ummmm.... Okay. Photo of USCGC Zephyr (WPC 8) pulling into Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and another of her docked. Yes, the photos are a few years old - the Zepher was later transferred to the US Navy in 2011. But still.....

Note that she's Haze Grey in colour. I wouldn't put my trust in all USCG patrol cutters being white - exigencies of service might demand a different colour paint job. They've done so before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USCGC Zephyr WPC 8.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	111484   Click image for larger version

Name:	USCGC Zephyr WPC 8 closeup.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	111485  

svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 16:33   #259
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

[QUOTE=amytom;1944750]God forbiD

Don't forget about Emperor Donald! I almost kinda want him to win to see how crazy it would actually be. My guess would be he quits after 6 months.
Old 23-10-2015, 16:41   #260

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

[QUOTE=Boatguy30;1944901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
God forbiD

Don't forget about Emperor Donald! I almost kinda want him to win to see how crazy it would actually be. My guess would be he quits after 6 months.

Yes, or he would dismantle the corporation and liquidate the assets to benefit the preferred stockholders.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 16:49   #261

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post

Yes, or he would dismantle the corporation and liquidate the assets to benefit the preferred stockholders.

S/V B'Shert
i'm sure Putin would give him a great deal on reaquiring Alaska ,)
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 17:05   #262

Boat: Catalina 30

Awwww man lets not go all political this far into the game.
Old 23-10-2015, 17:48   #263

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

[QUOTE=Boatguy30;1944901]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
God forbiD

He's no better. Just louder.

Too bad Boatman isn't a natural born US citizen, oh wait...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 18:58   #264

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsays View Post
i'm sure Putin would give him a great deal on reaquiring Alaska ,)
I have it on good authority that you can See Putin sipping vodka on his front porch from Alaska
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 21:31   #265

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

svmariane, thank you for the challenge. However if you had checked further and knew a bit how the CG works, you would understand a bit more about her coloring. First the USS Zephyr was built for the navy as a Coastal Patrol Craft, designated as a WPC 8, hense the gray coloring, then she was transferred to the CG, (Probablely for testing) where she got her STRIPES, and now she is back with Navy, minus her stripes as she did not meet our requirements. Good Sailing
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 03:29   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Interesting sidebar:

How The Coast Guard Earned Its Stripe ➥ How The Coast Guard Earned Its Stripe | Yachts International
Great designer!!!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 03:33   #267

Every now and then, like for the UN General Assembly or when POTUS is in town we see these like Coast Guard Special Forces guys.

They wear a green digital camo that looks like what the Army wears and they have the aluminum cabin boats but instead of orange they are painted gray.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	111504  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 06:32   #268

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

As I and others have alluded to before, the CG is a strange service, and I am not sure that anyone really knows or understands what goes on in HQ. You may not know that FEW of the boats, ships, or aircraft are built specifically for the CG. rather they are borrowed or given to the CG by the parent service as a place to park boats, and planes and get some use out of them rather than send them directly to salvage or storage. So while the equipment is used by the CG it will use or carry the basic color of the owning service with the addition of the CG Stripes and maybe US Coast Guard painted on the sides, and only when the CG can claim full ownership does it get a complete new paint job, according to the work it does.

I do not know how much you folks know about the US Coast Guard, but I can tell you this: it is the smallest of all the Military Services with less than 40,000 men and women, stationed around the world. In fact it is smaller (or was) than the New York City Police Force. Manning a variety of ships, aircraft, port facilities, and maintaining many of the navigational aids that we use now... and have used in the past... including the least liked job by ALL the boarding exercises.

So I hope you will understand that when you meet up with a Coastie he or she may be a little tired and grumpy, and give him or her a little leeway, and help them do their job. By the way, when I first went in the CG a 70 hr. week was the Norm.

Have a GOOD DAY ALL
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 14:32   #269

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Chief View Post
svmariane, thank you for the challenge. However if you had checked further and knew a bit how the CG works, you would understand a bit more about her coloring. First the USS Zephyr was built for the navy as a Coastal Patrol Craft, designated as a WPC 8, hense the gray coloring, then she was transferred to the CG, (Probablely for testing) where she got her STRIPES, and now she is back with Navy, minus her stripes as she did not meet our requirements. Good Sailing

Okay. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly, so please let me try again.

The background of Zepher is interesting and I HAD checked further prior to my post. The point I tried to make was this: USCG Cutters are not always painted White.

I wanted to clarify what you'd stated earlier because yes, there are times when by whatever requirements exist that the norm gets modified. I'd said exigencies of service: that which is required in a particular situation.

There were five of these Cyclone class boats that were transferred from the USN to the USCG in 2004 - and all five of them roamed the seas "Haze Grey and Underway" but with the USCG stripe. And no, not for testing, but to fulfill an operational shortage (see link below).

The others: USCGC(s) Tempest (WPC-2), Thunderbolt (WPC 12), Shamal (WPC 13), Tornado (WPC 14)

To be pedantic {Hey, why not? } I've proven that some cutters operated with Haze Grey colour not that many years ago (only four years as of this post) and thus there is no guarantee that it might not happen again - and that we won't see one tomorrow out there on the high seas.

That was all I meant!

James

Zepher, built for the USN, in service 1994 - 2004 as PC-8.
Transferred to USCG, in service 2004 - 2011 as WPC-8
Transferred back to USN 2011 (and still in service) as PC-8

Why did the USN transfer those ships to the USCG? To fill a gap in cutter availability due to increased ops with post 9/11 activities and deployments to the Persian Gulf, for two reasons.

Read more of that history here: USCGC Zephyr (WPC 8) {uscg.mil/history/cutters....}
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 15:40   #270
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I still think the mission of the CG changed when it fell under Homeland Security. It's mission may have evolved a bit.

BTW, my Son is in week 5 I think at Cape May, he was set back due to high fever, but is back in training now, keeping my fingers crossed he makes it, worries the snot out of me actually.

Would you believe the CG has the highest wash out rate of any Military service in Basic?

I think many of us mis-understand the CG and their mission, any Military service the lower ranks are just kids, try to remember what you were doing when you were 20, and consider most are rather adult and mature for their age, but are actually just kids trying to do a difficult and thankless job.
I know what I was doing when I was 20, luckily I never got caught. These CG kids are much more squared away that I was at their age.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc