Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2015, 17:01   #271

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Every now and then, like for the UN General Assembly or when POTUS is in town we see these like Coast Guard Special Forces guys.

They wear a green digital camo that looks like what the Army wears and they have the aluminum cabin boats but instead of orange they are painted gray.
Grey boats AND green camo uniforms? <gasp> Why, except for that lettering and strip on the side one might almost think it wasn't a USCG vessel!

Okay, okay.... Sorry, Olde Chief. Just taking the rib a bit. I'll stop now.

And I appreciate what the USCG does on the SAR side of things. These are the folk I'd like handy should we run into trouble when crossing a river bar. Major plus points for their skills.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uscg-cresting-a-pacific-roller.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	111544  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 17:34   #272

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I still think the mission of the CG changed when it fell under Homeland Security. It's mission may have evolved a bit.

BTW, my Son is in week 5 I think at Cape May, he was set back due to high fever, but is back in training now, keeping my fingers crossed he makes it, worries the snot out of me actually.

Would you believe the CG has the highest wash out rate of any Military service in Basic?

I think many of us mis-understand the CG and their mission, any Military service the lower ranks are just kids, try to remember what you were doing when you were 20, and consider most are rather adult and mature for their age, but are actually just kids trying to do a difficult and thankless job.
I know what I was doing when I was 20, luckily I never got caught. These CG kids are much more squared away that I was at their age.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Good luck to ur son.

I may rib my buds with short pants navy remarks but they have my full respect. And yes, the boardings on my boat by the CG have been by respectful, tough looking kids.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 25-10-2015, 04:12   #273
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
I still think the mission of the CG changed when it fell under Homeland Security. It's mission may have evolved a bit ...
By law, the Coast Guard has 11 missions:
Ports, waterways, and coastal security
Drug interdiction
Aids to navigation
Search and rescue
Living marine resources
Marine safety
Defense readiness
Migrant interdiction
Marine environmental protection
Ice operations
Other law enforcement
(listed in order of percentage of operating expenses)

USCG: About Us

https://www.oig.dhs.gov/assets/Mgmt/...-140_Sep14.pdf

http://transportation.house.gov/uplo...5_-_cg_ssm.pdf

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 06:27   #274

Boat: Four Winns V435

Is a Bahamas flagged pleasure vessel without any US citizens on board subject to USCG boarding in international waters?
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:03   #275

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

according to the list that one of the CF members has provided I would say yes, but the way things change, I would say yes, however the best you could do is check with USCG in Miami, and the Bahamian CG and compare responses. I haven't been in those waters lately so I would have to do more research, which you can do as well as I can. Have a good cruise.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:16   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
Is a Bahamas flagged pleasure vessel without any US citizens on board subject to USCG boarding in international waters?

I'd didn't participate in Op Bat being a gun pilot and I assume Apaches were considered to be just a little much, but our Sister unit did, so I have a little knowledge of it.
Op Bat was use of US aircraft and crews in assisting the Bahamians in their war on drugs, they way I believe it was done was that there was always a Bahamian official on board, so a US helicopter, with US crews was what would land and search you, but since there was a Bahamian official on board it was really a Bahamian operation.

So my guess would be that yes as USCG vessel could stop and board you, under the guise of assisting the Bahamians, maybe having one on board ?

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:23   #277
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadome View Post
Yes (as a64pilot notes), under OPBAT, the RBDF provides the authority, and the USCG provides the muscle to board ANY boat in Bahamian waters.

Operation Bahamas Turks and Caicos (OPBAT), consists of the U.S. Coast Guard, Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) Drug Enforcement Unit and Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
The OPBAT Operations Center is responsible for initiating and prosecuting law enforcement cases in the Bahamian area of responsibility (AOR). In addition, OPBAT assets regularly assist with prosecuting human smuggling and search and rescue cases throughout the AOR.

See ➥ http://www.uscg.mil/d7/opbat/Press.asp

Old 25-10-2015, 07:39   #278

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Hate to pop your bubble, but the H-65 that is on our CG Cutters do not carry boarding personnel, nor can it land in the water. However, if there is any question, and the boat is suspected of carry drugs (they are usually of the fast boat variety) the CG has ways of getting them to stop, for a boarding.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:42   #279
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back I guess 15 yrs ago when I was familiar with OpBat, it was US Army assets that were being used, which due to posse comatitus (sp) was interesting to me

Old 25-10-2015, 07:50   #280
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

OpBat that I was aware of used Army UH-60's, which of course can't land in the water more than once. I assume they were used to chase and stop go fast boats, take a pretty fast boat to outrun a UH-60. Again, I assume surface assets were used to actually search and or arrest
All I know was 1/3 Aviation (my unit) went to Kuwait and sat in the Desert, 2/3 went to the Bahamas and sat on the beach

Old 25-10-2015, 08:02   #281
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... which due to posse comatitus (sp) was interesting to me ...
KEY EXCEPTIONS TO THE POSSE COMITATUS ACT

• National Guard forces operating under the state authority of Title
32 (i.e., under state rather than federal service) are exempt from Posse Comitatus Act restrictions.

• Pursuant to the presidential power to quell domestic violence,
federal troops are expressly exempt from the prohibitions of Posse Comitatus Act, and this exemption applies equally to active-duty military and federalized National Guard troops.

Aerial photographic and visual search and surveillance by military personnel were found not to violate the Posse Comitatus Act.

Congress created a “drug exception” to the Posse Comitatus Act. Under recent legislation, the Congress authorized the Secretary of Defense to make available any military equipment and personnel necessary for operation of said equipment for law enforcement purposes. Thus, the Army can provide equipment, training, and expert military advice to civilian law enforcement agencies as part of the total effort in the “war on drugs”.

• The Coast Guard is exempt from Posse Comitatus Act during peacetime.

https://www.rand.org/content/dam/ran...R1251.AppD.pdf

Old 26-10-2015, 15:53   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I have it on good authority that you can See Putin sipping vodka on his front porch from Alaska
You must be a fan of Tina Fey. She is pretty funny!
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 16:01   #283

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
You must be a fan of Tina Fey. She is pretty funny!
I am yes, Tina is funny and Deven Green as Mrs Betty Bowers America's Best Christian which I love.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 16:15   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I am yes, Tina is funny and Deven Green as Mrs Betty Bowers America's Best Christian which I love.
Deven does some funny stuff but she is so one sided she is often a caricature of herself.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 17:11   #285

Boat: Custom 55

Hello friends,

Please excuse me if this gets a little long. There's a lot here.

First, I have been boarded at sea by the USCG somewhere around 30 times. All but one were in a commercial setting. I've never had a problem with them, but they do take their missions seriously. It seems like showing up on a fishing boat in Alaska armed is a bit unnecessary, but that's how they roll. We're a known quantity when they come on board, and they're still presenting a bit more force posture than is really needed in our context. But it's up to them.

To a man, they would all rather be doing SAR. Sending out a 378' cutter to the Bering Sea to check liferafts and epirbs is damn silly, and they all know it. We get that stuff inspected by USCG regularly, and the fisheries side of it is so heavily monitored anyway, that violations are nearly 100% of the time of a simple clerical nature. (In US waters).

The point is that their missions are many, and they just do their jobs.

Now, down in the druggy zones, their MO is different. I was boarded once in the Florida straits, and the interaction was pleasant enough, but we also had 5 guys on the boat for at least a couple of hours. They dug all over the place. From our questions, it seemed like this was pretty much standard procedure for them. (We were father and son-no criminal records here). The Colombian stamp in our passports was of particular interest to them. I think that the OP's visit to Cartagena was probably enough to get the extra attention. It got us some. To suggest that there was some probable cause for the extra scrutiny is pretty unreasonable.

Regarding having the weapon in the cockpit- I find that to be perfectly reasonable considering they were being followed by an unlit boat. Of course, you don't shoot first and identify who you're shooting at later, but there are quite a lot of very bad dudes in that part of the world, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with having the ability at hand to protect yourself.

Once in about 1990, we were sailing in this same area, and were followed closely for a couple of hours by a small rusty fishing boat, darkness was coming on. The only problem was that they weren't fishing, and had no gear on board. There were 6-7 guys on board, looking at us through binoculars. Fortunately we did have a couple of shotguns on board, which we produced and began casually cleaning in the cockpit. As soon as they saw this, they called us on the radio, asking where we were going, how many men on board, and 'why you got guns, mon?'. We told them we had 6 guys on the boat, and we just cleaned them weekly. We kept going down below, changing shirts, putting hats on, etc, so they might not know how many of us were actually there (we were 2).

Anyway, I am absolutely convinced that had we not demonstrated the ability to project lethal force, my odds of being here to tell the story today were somewhat poor. No, I don't know for sure they were up to no good, but when every fiber of your being says something's very wrong, it pays to listen.

And that, friends, is entirely different than waving a gun around. I believe from the OP's contribution that he did pretty much just what we did, and it's hard to find fault with it.

By the way, since we started transmitting AIS on the sailboat, they're not interested in us at all so far, and we just transited Panama-Yucatan channel last year. Not a peep from them.

I wish the 4th amendment applied to us with the USCG, but unfortunately is does not seem to. Americans, write your congressmen. Non-Americans, sorry that these guys can board you anywhere they want. I wish it were otherwise.

Good sailing to all.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc