Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 16:38   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3
U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Hi all, I am a big supporter of our brave men and women in the Coast Guard, but lets not forget. They are law enforcement officers first and foremost. As an American, you are ALWAYS open to a boarding party. Anywhere in the world.It is not optional.

But regardless, I would not trust any other dept. with rescuing my life other than them!

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:01   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

BTW, its not uncommon to see Coastie Cutters in the waters you are sailing now (W Carib). Ive never been boarded by them there, but know those who have.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 17:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

They board anyway. They had their boots on my rail whilst asking "is it ok to board" I said: " I'd rather you not" The chief or whatever said he would note they were boarding under "protest" the squids had a good look around whilst the chief insulted me and asked how much weed I had smoked on the boat. I was under sail in the Port Everglades turning basin and he told me if I gybed and the boom hit him; it would be assault.

not what I'd call professional.
Old 16-10-2015, 17:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Another time a cutter shadowed us for about 5 miles between key west and Fr Jefferson. It was blowing about 25 knots and we were making around 8 knots down wind. They launched a RIB with about 8 guys. By the time they got to us they were all soaked. They couldn't approach as everytime they dropped off plane they would nose dive and ship tons of water. They obviously could not make 8 knots if not planning and overtaking us. We shouted back and forth a bit and I guess they just gave up on the idea of boarding us. Surely, there must be some real criminals to chase?
Old 16-10-2015, 18:13   #5

... is it normal 'to allow them' to board the boat with their heavy boots on? Could you ask them to board without shows or 'proper shoes'?

Thanks,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:19   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
... is it normal 'to allow them' to board the boat with their heavy boots on? Could you ask them to board without shows or 'proper shoes'?

Thanks,

Carsten
Sure, you can ask them...

Compliance is a different matter, and while I don't like being boarded (not that it has happened in decades), they have the legal right to do so, whether you like it or not. Being obstructive does not change the outcome of the adventure, but it surely can change how it develops... and not in your favour. I reckon that my decks will survive their boots; I bet yours willl too.

Jim
Old 16-10-2015, 18:21   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think it is a great idea to film the whole encounter.
Keeps everyone professional and friendly.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:21   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post

Thanks,

Carsten
Good luck with that, its really just a rhetorical question...they will board anyway...boots and all.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Another time a cutter shadowed us for about 5 miles between key west and Fr Jefferson. It was blowing about 25 knots and we were making around 8 knots down wind. They launched a RIB with about 8 guys. By the time they got to us they were all soaked. They couldn't approach as everytime they dropped off plane they would nose dive and ship tons of water. They obviously could not make 8 knots if not planning and overtaking us. We shouted back and forth a bit and I guess they just gave up on the idea of boarding us. Surely, there must be some real criminals to chase?
I'd be curious what kind of sea state you had where a Coast Guard Coxun couldn't pace you in a sailboat doing 8 knots down wind with a RIB.

Was it a true RIB like a Hurricane, or one of those heavy Safe Boats with the foam sponsons? A true RIB should have been just fine in those conditions, a Safe boat, might have been bogged down if there was an inexperienced operator and too much weight on board.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:34   #10

... thanks - I thought it might be a rhetorical question. I once was boarded from German customs on an old racing yacht. When they wanted to search the boat I asked them to take off their boots because of the varnished floorboards and they did without arguing or giving me a hard time.

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:51   #11

Boat: Celestial 48

US Coast Guard boardings always piss me off as they fly in the face of the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution. You have more protection from unwarranted search running a meth lab in an condemned house that you do while innocently sailing about in your boat/home.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 18:52   #12

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I goofed recently. I misread the registration letter requirements of our boat and thought our AMSA rego was adequate. The local water copper pulled along side and asked me where our rego letters were and what followed was me being a stroppy bastard trying to convince him the AMSA number was all I needed.

We agreed to meet back at the club and by the time he came to join us I had dug out the rego papers and realised I was wrong.

I started by apologising. He insisted on boarding and having a look around. All I can say is that he was very very reasonable about it all and let me off with a verbal warning followed by a mild compliment on the state of our safety equipment.

The upshot of it all was I felt I really got better treatment than I deserved and I will be a damn side more careful about reading my paperwork in future.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-10-2015, 20:28   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
They board anyway. They had their boots on my rail whilst asking "is it ok to board" I said: " I'd rather you not"
He was just being polite, and you were quite the opposite. The CG had every right to board, while you had an "attitude." Makes one wonder if you were involved in illegal activity.
Old 16-10-2015, 20:50   #14

Seriously, this whole subject gets discussed regularly in endless threads without number, and has long since been beaten to death.

Do we really need to do this AGAIN?
Old 16-10-2015, 21:02   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

As a delivery skipper on the west coast for years, traveling from foreign countries, I was boarded several times and am pleased to tell you that I was always treated with respect and understanding. After a rather harrowing bar crossing into Noyo River, the CG boarded me at the dock and almost apologetically informed me that they were going to write me up for failing to close the overboard valve on the day head. They were entirely correct and said not to worry, they would just give me a warning.
We ended up meeting the crew later and standing them drinks in the local Fort Bragg bar. All were gentlemen and ladies and genuinely nice, young folks all away from home.
Never had to call them for help but sure that they would perform outstandingly well under stress.
These kids have a tough job and I'm sure take all kinds of crap from various turkeys all day long but remain professional. My hat is off to all of them. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, enc