Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 18:58   #241

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

The boat approaching has been refered to as blacked out.

I wonder if it truly was, as in painted flat black or something. Could have been one of the many thousands of boats that disappear from view at night with no lights lit, if even installed.

Tailing behind, no lights, no radio contact, middle of night; in any waters would be reason enough to have a lethal weapon handy.
And further if boarding was imminent or there is a shoe on the toe rail then taking that weapon to hand is very reasonable.

Assuming that the people have been told to stay off, that's a critical momment. One more step and one could reasonably believe a crime is soon to follow. Would anyone accept that behavior at the front door of thier house?

Edit,..... that of course is referring to the other thread. Here when it turned out to be the coasties the bad bad gun was left lying where it was as I understand it.

I wonder how many times the mere presence of a defensive weopon has stopped a crime from being committed. There is a stat or at least estimations of this out there. It's just not readily available and hardly researched.
Old 21-10-2015, 19:06   #242
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: U.S. Coast Guard boarding experience (not typical i dont think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natraps116 View Post
Hi all, I am a big supporter of our brave men and women in the Coast Guard, but lets not forget. They are law enforcement officers first and foremost. As an American, you are ALWAYS open to a boarding party. Anywhere in the world.It is not optional.

But regardless, I would not trust any other dept. with rescuing my life other than them!

Been there.. tried that...
Give me the Europe any day... they come out.. not.. call Towboat US or whatever.
If I'm in the **** the USCG is the last folk I would call..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"I am not less life-loving than you are.
But I cannot sell my birthright, nor am I prepared to sell the birthright of the people to be free." Nelson Mandela.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 05:03   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

USCG Boarding Officer required knowledge (updated 2011)
USCG Boarding Officer 2011 Flashcards

USCG Boarding Policy
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/na...nforcement.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 06:00   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
He was just being polite, and you were quite the opposite. The CG had every right to board, while you had an "attitude." Makes one wonder if you were involved in illegal activity.
I am former military, former law enforcement and work in cyber security today...and *I* have a freaking problem with them having "every right to board" and would have an attitude as well, especially in the case shown here.

Sorry but there is something so inherently wrong, almost dare I say evil, in the government having almost unlimited authority to board a boat, anywhere, anytime. Makes my skin crawl and blood boil a little. Not what I thought I was fighting for in the sands of the middle east.
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 13:33   #245

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Let´s make sure we not miss the forest by focussing in one tree.

First of all, when people talk about "pirates" in that part of the world (specificaly waters East of the Miskitos cays) they refer to "illegal" lobster fishermen from Honduras and drug smugglers who work for FARC landing drugs form Colombia into Nicaragua . Their business is not about taking a cruiser´s property, it is about illegal lobster and drugs. Thos eguys are doing illegal stuff and they will not like cruisers having a look at them.

...and a highly illegal cargo the Honduran fishermen call "white lobster". ; )
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 23:49   #246

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
USCG Boarding Officer required knowledge (updated 2011)
USCG Boarding Officer 2011 Flashcards

USCG Boarding Policy
http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/na...nforcement.pdf
From the first paragraph in that Boarding Policy link:
"All Coast Guard officers and petty officers are Federal law enforcement
officers and they may board any United States vessel anywhere."

Just to mention, since CF is a forum with many international members.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 00:46   #247

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
...and a highly illegal cargo the Honduran fishermen call "white lobster". ; )
This whole thing seems to me to be about intimidation. Obviously the USCG feels it necessary to put the fear of god into the boats that they are surveiling, harassing, inspecting prior to any actual boarding operations. I guess I could come up with potentially 100's of reason why they would do this but none of them would in my opinion rationalize their behaviour. In fact I could come up with several scenarios would in fact jeopardize the safety of not only the boarded boat but the USCG boat as well.

I fortunately have never had the experience of being chased in the middle of the night by any government agency boat and hope to god that I never do. It seems to me that my first reaction to such an incident would be to make the offending vessel aware that I/we knew that she was there. We always sail with our digital radar scanning at night to ensure that we do not come across any unsuspecting vessels or shores or whatever and I am sure that there is no technology available that came overcome this device unless they can simply flood out the receivers???? Upon being shadowed for any length of time, I would contact this boat/vessel by way of VHF and demand to know what their intentions where. If I did not receive satisfactory information then the next step would be to advise the relevant authourities by way of Sat Phone, SSB, or if I really felt threatened by setting off the Epirb. All of this would of course force any legitimate government agency to reveal their presence.

Is the US Coast Guard so outgunned on the open water that they have to sneak around on unsuspecting yachties. I mean, I can't imagine any self respecting drug runner to not have the technology that would enable them to observe other vessels in open water around them before they are approached by any surface vessel and boarded. Seems to me that although I do not think that carrying assault weapons on board is appropriate, the tactics being employed here would only significantly increase the likelihood of someone using such a weapon to prevent a boarding of an innocent boat to protect oneself and family. So, the question is, why the hell are the USCG sneaking around in the middle of the night using these tactics??
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 02:52   #248

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
So, the question is, why the hell are the USCG sneaking around in the middle of the night using these tactics??
turning on the spotlight on the gun turret tended to clear the radar screen of any 40mph moving objects in the Malaca Strait, except for the 2 contacts that turned out to be Malayan Navy Cutter.

you broadcast your position to provide safety to those in the vicinity.

you hide your position when you want to catch the bad boys, fingers in the cookie jar.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 04:22   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
... So, the question is, why the hell are the USCG sneaking around in the middle of the night using these tactics??
The OPs boarding was very unusual. I've been boarded by the Coasties, and officials of other countries, several times both underway and not...in all cases the visits were brief and professional. Never more than 30 minutes, certainly nothing approaching the multi hour visit the OP received.

Even had a joint USA/Guatemalan drug interdiction team show up at my place ashore in Guatemala once. Full on MIB, but none the less a similar brief proffessional visit.

The OPs visit was very atypical. Question is, what prompted that behavior. Something relating to the OPs vessel or maybe other activity in the area?

Ive seen officials pay extended visits to vessels in my vicinity before. Once in the region where the OP was located (this is of course a hot zone for drug interdiction activity), in Providencia, a sailing vessel approached the island pre-dawn, motored around in manuevers that didnt seem to make sense (if you are just waiting for dawn...why motor all over the place). The Colombia officials are very attentive there and went out and paid them a visit, brought them into the harbor, and spent a long time aboard...complete with drug dogs. Turned out they had engine and steering problems (thus the odd manuevers). In the end they were back on their way the next day, the officials even helped them out a bit. Perfectly reasonable scenario for an extended visit.

Be interesting to know what motivated such an extended visit.
Old 23-10-2015, 04:54   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The boat approaching has been refered to as blacked out.

I wonder if it truly was, as in painted flat black or something. Could have been one of the many thousands of boats that disappear from view at night with no lights lit, if even installed.

Im assumimg just lights out...no color paint shows up well in the dark.

Ive been trailed a few times by blacked out vessels, once in USA waters, couple of times internationally. Larger vessels in all cases so I assumed military/law enforcement (a small vessel would concern me more). Once confirmed when a Coastie cutter was trailing blacked out and then went fully lit when close by....a well lit cutter with all its aramament is a pretty intimidatimg sight night...good night not to be a bad guy (or mistaken for one). I assumed they had satified themselves we were harmless before going bright, because they never boarded.
Old 23-10-2015, 05:15   #251
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

What many seem to miss here is the abject waste of time and energy and resources that was expended in this instance, quick data check on the vessel before boarding, quick radio discussion, quick boarding - on your way and everyone is happy
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:24   #252
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Interesting sidebar:

How The Coast Guard Earned Its Stripe ➥ How The Coast Guard Earned Its Stripe | Yachts International

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 05:27   #253

Boat: Morgan, Out Island 36, Ketch

Having the ear of the USCG, I have never heard of the USCG doing night boarding without good reason (usually it would be to assist another agency i.e., DEA, ICE, or Customs), outside the territorial or commercial limits. If you are transiting to a specific port or another country inside the 12 mile limit you may be paid a visit DURING DAY LIGHT hours.

Also, if you haven't noticed, all the CG Cutters are WHITE unless they are involved in Ice Patrols and they are Red, CG Aircraft also follow the same color plan . Buoy Tenders are Black and only used for heavy Harbor Maintenance. The Safe Boats are usually Red and Black, with an Aluminum Cabin area. DEA-ICE are the only agencies that use Black equipment, that I know of.

AS for uniforms are usually blue or of a blue pattern if the wearer is not using a survival suit.

Hope this will help everyone to know who they are dealing with, when dealing with the USCG.
Olde Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2015, 12:10   #254

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Been there.. tried that...
Give me the Europe any day... they come out.. not.. call Towboat US or whatever.
If I'm in the **** the USCG is the last folk I would call..

Boatman,
Can't you get over the fact that a rag tag group of individualists who disdained Kingship and taxation without representation defeated the greatest military power in the world? You lost, Boatie but that has nothing to do with the outstanding job the CG does in search and rescue. This is not what we're talking about but rather the CG practice of stopping recreational vessels at sea with no reasonable cause. Do you have a comment about the topic at hand? Good luck, good sailing . . . no God save the queen comment here . . . how about God save America from our King . . . hope you had a little laugh!
Old 23-10-2015, 12:22   #255
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I believe we're meant to get that Queen quite soon......

Tags
cal, enc