Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 08:51   #16

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
ben2go,

It all depends on whom you want to impress. If it's yourself, and you're long term cruising, what I found was that I got really annoyed when what I bought new was faded and ugly within a year. From then on, I shopped only at thrift shops, and didn't worry about dye quality any more. When I started this, I was getting about 5-6 prs. of shorts for what I would have paid for one before, so I found it frugal. You still have to check the pockets for secure, or be prepared to sew a contrasting flap over the top, with velcro or a button closure. Mostly, cotton/polyester blends. Works fine for me. Plus, part of me exults in recycling simple stuff where I can. Just might change my middle name to "repurposing."

Ann
i'm in with Ann.

Recycling is already a way of life for many.
and since used clothing tends to be at a fraction of the price of retail, it really works well for those who prefer to live fugally as well.

and yes, i get a kick when i find something fantastic!

i do not go to the states much anymore, but when i do, i make a beeline for the second-hand shops. unlike where i currently live where women are more petite and the goods are past-tense-picked-over, small size clothing in the states can often be perfectly new!
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:54   #17

Wrangler has a model to fit most body builds. Nothing like cotton around water and boats. I was sold on Wranglers by a young Lady co-worker years ago. She explained that Wranglers fit her body shape and were comfortable. Every Friday for years was dress-down day in Silicon Valley and jeans were OK unless doing an in front of customer presentation.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 09:56   #18

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

For working and general knocking around on the boat I wear hospital scrubs, cool tough and cheap (well for me I use up ex-work ones!!) Most thrift stores have a wrack of them so cheap you can use and chuck for doing jobs like anti-fouling
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 10:28   #19

I have been trying to get linen shorts, and if I can find some trousers made from linen I would buy some. I really want to keep the sun off my skin...

Next best thing is cotton. I have been buying from Duluth for years and they have a heavy material for winter and a lighter design which is good for fall and spring but is too hot for summer.

For work clothes, I buy cheap, then cotton trousers from Walmart. They keep the dirt, bugs and sun off while being somewhat cool.

Denim is just too hot to wear in the heat. Don't wear them anymore, even in the winter. Second hand shops are not a bad idea especially if the store is in an area with money.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 10:39   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Cut the denims off. Cutoffs are great on the dock unless you need to make a fashion statement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 11:32   #21

Boat: 23 albury brothers

Check out ...Free Fly apparel on line...Great pants and shorts for on the water. Very comfortable..
gunny25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 11:40   #22

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Painters pants. White cotton canvas. Tough. Cool in the sun because of the reflectivity of the white color. Big pockets. Cheap.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 12:11   #23

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I wear Craghopper Classic Kiwi pants, plenty of pockets, hard wearing and lightweight and dry very quickly when they get wet, also have lifetime guarantee. Bit expensive if you buy in regular stores but are often available in 'deals' on Ebay or other online stores ore even Craghopper themselves. Full price is I think £60 a pair but I have bought them for as little as £18. I have about two dozen pairs, will last me out. Have the same number of their shirts as well. Just be aware their sizing for pants is very conservative, go smaller than you think your waist size is, probably by 2" inches, but with shirts go UP a size! I wear 32" waist and XL shirts and no I am not Popeye! They do thermal lined ones for winter wear as well (I have half a dozen of those as well)
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 12:31   #24

I am in the camp that says "no cotton" around seawater. At least, not 100% cotton. Cotton blends are usually OK, but I have come to prefer synthetics, which are lightweight, dry quickly, wick sweat away from the skin, and breathe just fine. Look at fishing websites. Look for fishing pants. They work great, and they don't have to be that expensive. No way will I ever pay $50 or $60 for a pair of outdoor, casual pants!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 13:46   #25

Pants? Pants? Ah yes, I recall now. You are referring to what we call "long shorts". They, along with the little sweaters we used wear on our feet, socks I believe they were called, haven't cluttered the lockers on our boat in 25 years. Now we dress up in cotton shorts. A sarong is everyday casual wear and flip flops are for formal occasions. Weddings and funerals are attended in attire that most people would wear to a luau.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 13:58   #26

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cringle View Post
Pants? Pants? Ah yes, I recall now. You are referring to what we call "long shorts". They, along with the little sweaters we used wear on our feet, socks I believe they were called, haven't cluttered the lockers on our boat in 25 years. Now we dress up in cotton shorts. A sarong is everyday casual wear and flip flops are for formal occasions. Weddings and funerals are attended in attire that most people would wear to a luau.
Wouldn't work up here in British waters, you'd likely freeze your B****cks off! (except in the one or two 28ºC days that constitute Summer in these parts)
I'm maybe being a bit harsh but we had snow two days ago and today it was a 'balmy' 12ºC. We have a Yorkshire saying that goes. "Ne'r cast a clout till May is out" which translated into the Queens English means "do not divest of your layers of clothing until the end of May", albeit that the Seasons in Yorkshire are about two weeks later than the South of England where I live, still means not till mid May, and it seems to work.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 14:00   #27

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

If I have to wear pants on the boat, or on land, I have become a big fan of Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. They are light, stretch, have additional pockets, two with zippers, and my first pair are still going strong 4 years later.

And in the tropics, cotton is not your friend, despite being very comfortable. It is hot, damp and when washed takes forever to dry.
Old 14-04-2021, 14:22   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon1150 View Post
If I have to wear pants on the boat, or on land, I have become a big fan of Eddie Bauer Guide Pro pants. They are light, stretch, have additional pockets, two with zippers, and my first pair are still going strong 4 years later.

And in the tropics, cotton is not your friend, despite being very comfortable. It is hot, damp and when washed takes forever to dry.
Dunno what cotton you have in the States but my chinos blow dry in no time after a passing shower.. don't wear them so tight..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 14:41   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

Consider trading in pants for a nice kilt. here's one that is cotton/poly ripstop. Lightweight, fast drying, durable and well... totally fetching.

https://www.damnnearkiltem.com/colle...techlite-rogue

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:04   #30

Heck out a company called Coolibar. Claim they fabrics are equipment of SPF 50 sun screen and breathable. Shirts, pants, even full.coverage swimwear.

Don't know any more about them than what their website says, but it sounds like what you're looking for. Googled UV Protective Clothing.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat