Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 08:03   #61

Boat: Bavaria 36'
Re: Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

Jeans are hot in the hot, cold in the cold and never dry whilst wearing. Beside fashion says that few people over 30 can look good in them. Which is why I’ve not worn a pair for 50 years.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:11   #62

Boat: 1972 Hatteras 45C

Lots of medium to expensive recommendations here. Well I'm cheap and I spend most of my days on the water getting blood on the decks fishing the waters off Ensenada for Yellow Tail.
Not much cruising but lots of trolling in the sun getting wet.

I have many different styles of pants from Hi dollar Huk fishing pants, I don't wear when fishing due to the 90 dollar price tag, to $13.99 sweat pants, my favorites. Comfortable, cool and washable in my home washer or bucket washer on the boat.
As one poster mentioned Linen can be a go to fabric as well just not very durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanes-X-Temp-...s%2C203&sr=8-5
mike mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:17   #63

A couple-three decades ago, I discovered utility kilts.

I tend toward the 'bib-overhauls' kilt.
Q -- Why?
A -- The over-the-shoulders apparatus helps support my pockets of accumulations.

An added benefit:
* I am 'quite the hit' with inquisitive canines!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 08:43   #64

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

Some of the comments have been a hoot! 🤣
As a kid I lived in bell bottom denim (60’s-70’s) but midlife became a golf professional and denim was never allowed .... anywhere.
I have found though not inexpensive ExOfficio and Columbia offer quality and choice.
Like you I have had some issues with sun exposure and while all mine are skin cancer I suggest lightweight sun screen outerwear coverage and a hat at all times.
Good luck!
Old 23-04-2021, 09:38   #65

Boat: Catalina 42 MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You have pants?
Beat me to it.

At first, when I read the OP, I thought, “Pants… pants. What are pants?”
OrignalBudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 10:42   #66

Boat: Hunter 37C

Columbia PFG, RailRiders, Duluth, are all good for heat, wet and as sunscreen.
Old 23-04-2021, 11:45   #67

Boat: Looking

Thank you all. I am shopping around trying to find good prices. Since the lumber industry has went bat crap crazy with their pricing, I'll not be doing as much construction work on my property as planed. This will give me more time to look for those deals. Our 2nd hand thrift shops never have any good deals. Most of the stuff that ends up in them are pretty much at the very end of their life. Occasionally a good shirt can be found.
Old 23-04-2021, 13:13   #68

I live in New Zealand where the sun is harsh, sunburn can happen in minutes, and the the summer days are long and warm.

My warm weather sailing attire of choice is a pair of overalls with shorts underneath. Good protection from the sun, loose enough to keep the wearer cool, and they dry quickly if you happen to get splashed with wet stuff. They also have a good selection of pockets and access to your shorts pockets underneath.

I've even been known to wear a bright yellow belt with my overalls, with accessories such as a knife and PLB attached.

The link below is where I get my overalls from. I prefer long sleeves, just roll the sleeves up to have short sleeve day, and I like the blue colored ones best as I think they make me look more like a sailor and less like a dairy farmer.

https://store.nzfarmsource.co.nz/sto...-wear/overalls

You will notice a good selection of men's and women's overalls. If you can't order directly over the internet I'm sure you could find something similar in your part of the world.

Happy Shopping

All the best

Mike
Midas H28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 17:58   #69
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
What I do wish is if they made pants with built in or insertable knee pads. Even 1/4" foam would help a lot. I can no longer kneel on hard surfaces without pain and kneepads are always getting hooked on something or twisting or falling down so they aren't providing any padding where needed without constant rearranging.
There is a hack to add knee pads to any pair of pants/trousers. You'll need a sewing machine, someone who knows how to use it, a pair of cheap foam kneepads (the sort with a removable elastic strap) and some scrap robust fabric, like Sunbrella (available in a variety of contrasting colours).

Make a patch pocket to put the kneepads in by cutting the scrap fabric to size about 1.5 inches (4 cm) bigger than the knee pads all around. Sew the pocket patch all around with a half inch (1cm) hem.

Put the pants on, then kneel in them (on a mattress if you want) and mark where the knee pads should be.

Unpick the pant inseams from hem to about 6 in (15 cm) above the knee. Pin the pockets onto the pant legs at the marked location with an opening at the bottom (to prevent accumulation of debris or worse, welding slag...) but the opening should be big enough to get the rolled up foam in.

Sew the pockets on. Resew the inseams (zig zag stitch if you got it).

Insert knee pads.

You can also use this technique to sew a patch directly on the knees of the pants if they are worn out.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat