Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2021, 15:40   #1

Boat: Looking
Question Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

Today it's a balmy 79*F/26*c and high humidity. I put on denim jeans and thought I was going to keel over. This has me looking into cheap light weight breathable long pants for the summer and working outside. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands of pants to try out? I don't need cargo type just some nice deep pockets for the day when I am flush with cash. Go ahead and laugh, I did. It would be nice to wear my 1.5 inch wide belt with them. Everything I'm finding seems to be nylon but when I try nylon it seems to stick to my skin really badly. I do sweat a lot and chafe when I work. Send me your links and ideas.
Old 13-04-2021, 15:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

Cotton Chinos..
https://www2.hm.com/en_us/men/produc...ts/chinos.html

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 16:13   #3

Re: Pants me! What do you wear? Non boat related.

I live on a boat full time, and haven't owned a pair of jeans in 20 years. We generally sail to where it is warm, and keeping cool is way more important than style or keeping warm!

All of my favorite pants are Columbia PFG style pants. I find that cotton and salt water makes a pretty unpleasent combination. It sucks up lots of salt water, and then the water evaporates, leaving the clothing stiff, soggy, salty--and stinky.

Jeans are just terrible on a cruising sailboat. One pair of jeans can soak up a gallon of water, and it takes a tankful of water to get them clean, and then days of good weather to dry them.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 17:39   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

ben2go,

It all depends on whom you want to impress. If it's yourself, and you're long term cruising, what I found was that I got really annoyed when what I bought new was faded and ugly within a year. From then on, I shopped only at thrift shops, and didn't worry about dye quality any more. When I started this, I was getting about 5-6 prs. of shorts for what I would have paid for one before, so I found it frugal. You still have to check the pockets for secure, or be prepared to sew a contrasting flap over the top, with velcro or a button closure. Mostly, cotton/polyester blends. Works fine for me. Plus, part of me exults in recycling simple stuff where I can. Just might change my middle name to "repurposing."

Ann
Old 13-04-2021, 17:52   #5

Look into kühl. https://www.kuhl.com/ Ive enjoyed their stuff and its always held up been comfortable and comes in a range of styles

Also 5.11s. Might be a bit cargoish for you but they are great all around work/hiking and work pants https://www.511tactical.com/?utm_med...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Wander4Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 18:57   #6

Boat: Pearson 10M

I have a couple pair of pants like these. Super comfortable, dry very quickly. Perfect when you need some cover in warm climates.

https://www.amazon.com/TBMPOY-Outdoo...ens+hik&sr=8-3
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 20:44   #7

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

You have pants?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 03:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You have pants?
Good one, Simi!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 04:25   #9

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Looks like I'll be a boat-less land lubber for the rest of the year. So I'm stuck working on land for now.
Old 14-04-2021, 04:28   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
You have pants?
LOL I have to wear full cover in the sun. Skin cancer runs in my family. I'm 44 and already had colon cancer and pituitary cancer. I've had a few suspect places removed from my skin. So far none were cancer.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:18   #11

Linen all the way
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 08:23   #12

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I’m wearing “Hook and Tackle” brand shorts. Cotton with an elastic waistband, a cell phone pocket and a side pocket that will hold a beer can.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 08:30   #13

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
ben2go,

It all depends on whom you want to impress. If it's yourself, and you're long term cruising, what I found was that I got really annoyed when what I bought new was faded and ugly within a year. From then on, I shopped only at thrift shops, and didn't worry about dye quality any more. When I started this, I was getting about 5-6 prs. of shorts for what I would have paid for one before, so I found it frugal. You still have to check the pockets for secure, or be prepared to sew a contrasting flap over the top, with velcro or a button closure. Mostly, cotton/polyester blends. Works fine for me. Plus, part of me exults in recycling simple stuff where I can. Just might change my middle name to "repurposing."

Ann
Ann,

I have always known we were sisters under the skin, but this confirms it!

Actually, I'm so cheap, (ahem) frugal that if I look hard enough, I can find good name brands in very good shape. And then when I'm done with the clothes, I donate them to a thrift shop and buy more.
Old 14-04-2021, 08:35   #14

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Cotton painter's pants. White, light weight, cotton soft, cheap, plenty of pockets.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 08:38   #15

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Today it's a balmy 79*F/26*c and high humidity. I put on denim jeans and thought I was going to keel over. This has me looking into cheap light weight breathable long pants for the summer and working outside. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands of pants to try out? I don't need cargo type just some nice deep pockets for the day when I am flush with cash. Go ahead and laugh, I did. It would be nice to wear my 1.5 inch wide belt with them. Everything I'm finding seems to be nylon but when I try nylon it seems to stick to my skin really badly. I do sweat a lot and chafe when I work. Send me your links and ideas.
I'll start by saying we are full-time travelers, and have been without a 'home' for 15+ years. Whether on the boat, in an RV, or on the road and staying thru airbnb, we buy premium brand clothing (Patagonia, Clothing Arts, Tilley etc.) but only if it's used on eBay, etc. No cargo pocket stuff or pants with zip-off legs either. We try to keep it 'mainstream' and discrete.
Duluth Trading Co. easily has the best pants and shorts I've found for adventure travel. Gently concealed zippers and velcro to keep pockets secure, with fast drying and durable fabrics that I guess I'd describe as 'fancy nylon'. I know what you mean about the sweating & chafing and sticky nylon/polyester, but there have been a lot of improvements in those fabrics and the better stuff is quite comfortable. Just get sizes that are a little 'roomy' rather than tight fitting.
We are mostly cotton & wool people, and buy rubber rain/foul weather gear (thanks, Grunden!) after having given up on 'breathable' Goretex, etc. years ago. But now & then these space-age fabrics work very well.
Some of my shorts and trousers from Duluth Trading are 7 and 8 years old, and other than stains (which I mostly ignore) are still going strong.
One nice thing about being a man is that we don't see stains, or wrinkles!
Anyway Duluth Trading is a good choice. I have no connection with the company - or any company - but we know what works.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat