Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2020, 09:47   #16

Boat: crawling back aboard: getting over long vax/covid!
Re: Panicking on new boat purchase

exciting!

please, do tell what kind of boat it is!!!!

please tell us where you want to sail, etc.

then tell us how much time you really have to care for and enjoy the boat...

wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:55   #17

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

If you can drive a car in Rome, buying/owning a boat is easy. You do drive, right?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:04   #18

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Went through it just month ago. Fear of commitment. Went over it. Now I have another fears... Dealing with them one step in the time. This is the life.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:11   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

As several have said, this iscalled buyers remorse and is well known. Its just another kind of fear. Use it to your advantage. You have to be pretty keen on a boat to pay for a survey, and its unusual for the surveyor not to find undisclosed faults which are all negotiating points and should save you the cost of the survey as a minimum. The seller lnows that too if he is sensible. But do be ready to walk away still if all not right for you. Listen to your buyers remorse.... good luck. And remember that action cures fear.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:24   #20

Boat: Leopard 45

Ditto on all of the above. Not uncommon on any large purchase to have buyers remorse or question you investment. You don't have to worry about loosing your deposit unless the survey comes out unblemished. Most often the survey will reveal items that need attending and will help you decide whether to back out on the sale or even request a reduction of price or fix the survey items needing repairs. It's time to take a deep breath and let the survey help you with your decision. Very few of us boat owners have remorse a year after we make out decision to buy and take to the water. We just ask ourselves why we didn't do it sooner. If it's your perfect boat at a good price, go for it!
cheers,
and good decisions
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:45   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Anxiety is normal. Don't double guess yourself.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 10:59   #22

Boat: Lord Nelson 41

Life is short
Don’t regret taking a chance of being more alive
Win or loose, you win
Telemark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 11:36   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

I had something similar when I bought mine in 2016, but it was all FINANCE related. The big question for me was: will I be able to afford her?

Can you afford the cash or mortgage on the boat? Insurance? Marina fees?

If so, I can honestly say that 99% of us will say GO FOR IT because we know that we didn't regret it.

As others have said... buyer's remorse even though it usually happens after, not before, the purchase.

I'm still paying the mortgage on my boat and the high marina fees... but I never, ever regretted it since Day 1 back in 2016 when I made the purchase
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:10   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I found the boat I wanted, I knew the model well... every inch of her! The price was good too. I could afford it, I knew I could do repairs myself, I could afford the monthly slip. AND I STILL LOST SLEEP TOO! I have no explanation for it except that owning a boat is, or may seem, a really silly thing to do. Especially if you don't have much disposable income and young kids who are going to need stuff... like college! What kind of investment is it? A lousy one!
Long story short, me and the kids are still having fun with it. They won't let me sell it. 6 years later.
I hope the survey comes out great. Once you are on the water, and she is scudding along, you'll see things more rightly.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:36   #25

Thanks to you all. Yes, I live in Rome and I got a RYA coastal skipper certificate, I have been sailing for some ten years now. The boat is a Hallberg Rassy 312, and is sooo beautiful. Unfortunately, I have to fight my wife who thinks this is a total waste of money. But this is a common problem, I guess
GiorgioS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 12:45   #26

Boat: O'Day 27

I am going through somewhat the reverse. I bought and restored my boat all while spending obscene amounts of money while doing so. Knowing I would never get much if anything when or if I sold it. So now life crapped on my parade and I am searching for a free to good home person to take possession. I still don't regret my decision. Nothing is certain in life other than our existence as a thinking thing. The rest is always an adventure, embrace it. Good luck with your survey and purchase.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 13:10   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joefiss View Post
I am going through somewhat the reverse. I bought and restored my boat all while spending obscene amounts of money while doing so. Knowing I would never get much if anything when or if I sold it. So now life crapped on my parade and I am searching for a free to good home person to take possession. I still don't regret my decision. Nothing is certain in life other than our existence as a thinking thing. The rest is always an adventure, embrace it. Good luck with your survey and purchase.
Life's a bitch about pissing on your parade. Mine was surgery gone awry. All we can do is suck it up and move on.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 13:20   #28

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioS View Post
Thanks to you all. Yes, I live in Rome and I got a RYA coastal skipper certificate, I have been sailing for some ten years now. The boat is a Hallberg Rassy 312, and is sooo beautiful. Unfortunately, I have to fight my wife who thinks this is a total waste of money. But this is a common problem, I guess
When she sees how happy that boat makes you feel, and when you take her out on a nice gentle evening sail, and enjoy a beautiful sunset together on the water with a nice wine and some friends along perhaps, and how fun a little bit more wind can be (not too much at first!)... I think she'll start to see the wisdom of the purchase. At least, that is how it worked out with my wife, who also had some reservations about boat ownership.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 13:30   #29
cruiser

Boat: 33 Sloop

No.

Emotion has no place in business.

It’s a transaction, just like buying a apple or a broom

As far as the wife goes, that just comes down to who made the money for the boat, and if you have any critical items that you should be using the money for.

ie if you have outstanding debts, that should be taken care of before you buy a boat, however if you don’t have outstanding debts, you are providing properly for your wife/family, and you’re the bread winner, you might need to have a come to Jesus with your wife before this type of thing festers into a divorce.
FastTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 14:43   #30

Giorgio,

Panic before a big purchase or commitment is normal and good. It happens to make sure you have considered all the options, answered all your questions, and shows you are smart enough to know you may not know everything. If you are not panicked, you have fooled yourself into thinking nothing can go wrong!

Don't worry, buyers remorse comes later, after the purchase... You will probably experience that too.

Push through the anxiety, as mentioned earlier the survey will calm your worries, enjoy the boat.
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat, purchase