Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2020, 07:55   #1

Panicking on new boat purchase

Dear fellow members,

I think I need some psychological support from the community. I made an offer for a used boat: next Friday the survey will take place, price is good, and she looks great. I have been waiting this moment for years, looking for the right model, I should be the happiest chap in the world, and instead...I am panicking! I have even considered walking away a losing the deposit, just for the anxiety this choice is pulling on me. Did anybody of you ever feel the same?

Thanks

Giorgio
GiorgioS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 08:05   #2

Boat: Hanse 430e
Re: Panicking on new boat purchase

Well that happens to me alot. Buying boats, cars, houses, marriage proposals, etc.

You have to get off the couch. You cant stay there.

You did the right thing, made the best decision that you knew to make. Go enjoy it.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 08:10   #3
running down a dream

Boat: CD30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

panic may be your friend here. look carefully for reasons not to buy the boat. if you can't find any then move forward with the survey. good luck.

gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 08:13   #4
It is only boating

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioS View Post
Dear fellow members,

I think I need some psychological support from the community. I made an offer for a used boat: next Friday the survey will take place, price is good, and she looks great. I have been waiting this moment for years, looking for the right model, I should be the happiest chap in the world, and instead...I am panicking! I have even considered walking away a losing the deposit, just for the anxiety this choice is pulling on me. Did anybody of you ever feel the same?

Thanks

Giorgio
I feel your pain, but no I never thought I made a mistake. I wanted a boat, I did my research, and picked a boat that matched.

But sometimes "The Dream" sounds better in people's heads than "Owning a boat". Which is why soooooo many boats rarely see their owners.
Old 19-09-2020, 08:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

+1 for DogScout's post. You made the best decision possible with the information available. You'll do it again when the survey is in and you have more information. If someday you feel you made a mistake, remind yourself that you made the best decision with the information available, and could not expect yourself foresee the problem. In short, trust yourself.
Old 19-09-2020, 08:25   #6

Just hang in there. See how it looks to other eyes. I do the same thing sometimes. You can always opt out after survey based on anything you don't like.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:14   #7

Boat: Lazy Jack 32

Even with a survey, there will be surprises after you buy the boat. It will take time to discover them, but with luck there will be more good ones than bad ones.
Lazy Jack 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:18   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Ditto Dogscout............happens to me since I am a Pisces.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:20   #9

Boat: Vancouver 27'

It's called buyers remorse and it happens all the time with boats, cars and houses.

It goes away.
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:24   #10

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

It is called cognitive dissonance or sometimes buyer's remorse. Perfectly normal, sort of like that feeling the first time you jumped off the high board at the swimming pool.

It will go away and yes there will be surprises. That's actually part of the joy of sailing and boat owning. Learning the boat, learning to maintain it.

Enjoy.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am a psychologist and I get cognitive dissonance too.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:27   #11

Use the panic to help you. If the survey turns up problems, walk away. That is better than being so in love with the boat that you are biased, survey findings or not.

If no major problems, take the leap and go for it!
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:30   #12

Boat: 1996 Carver 355 Aft Cabin

Although I am now in a completely different line of work (attorney) I spent a former life in sales management and studying the psychology of buyers. What you are experiencing called "buyer's remorse." It is very common. There are a mixture of fears (spending money, making the wrong decision, etc.). Your marine survey will help you decide if you should go forward.
Capt Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:32   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioS View Post
Dear fellow members,

Thanks

Giorgio
Some questions
1. How long have you been boating?
2. How many times per year do you go boating?
3. How many boats have you owned?
4. How long is the travel time to where you intend to keep the boat?
5. How big is the boat?
6. About how much is the boat going to cost?

Now the tough one and do not answer if you do not want to.
7. In the past have you spend money on a hobby only to give up the hobby?
Captain Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 09:35   #14

Boat: Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharad View Post
It's called buyers remorse and it happens all the time with boats, cars and houses.

It goes away.

So True! But try to figure out why you feel this way. If there is something specific, such as known items on the boat that need changing or repair that you are not sure about, or a design characteristic that you are not happy with, then maybe you have reason to back out. Is the family also completely "on board" with this purchase? But if all that checks OK, its just buyers remorse and the minute you get the keys you will be very happily excited. And Congratulations!
Old 19-09-2020, 09:40   #15

My advice is that's why you got the survey. So wait for it and decide then. A survey is a starting point in a purchase, not the end by any means. You may survey half a dozen boats before you find your boat. I did. Or this may be the one.

Will say that the best boat deal I ever got was an older over-priced 28 footer. I knew it was right boat when I saw it, and an afternoon of sailing confirmed everything I felt. I surveyed it myself along with the owner who was relentless about the bad and the good. And bought it that evening for his asking price complete right down to spares, tools, documentation, and silverware.

It turned out to be even better than I thought it would be.
rScotty
Roger L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat, purchase