Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2016, 04:32   #16

Boat: Club Sailor; various
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tientos View Post
As a recent newbie to both this and other forums, and as a woman and experienced cruiser,I understand why many women have tuned out. Even newbies are told off for following a dream.
Interesting take. A regular contributor recently went to another site and one of his complaints was his perception of unfettered encouragement of newbies to buy a boat and sail the world.

Like most things, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Old 13-02-2016, 04:35   #17

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I was talking about the attitude and name calling not the fact we are using an internet forum, sorry if that didn't seem clear. I enjoy being connected and using the net, wasn't suggesting that was a problem. Did others misinterpret my post?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I took an idea from your post that I had also considered and totally ignored the rest of it. Standard internet procedure.......
Old 13-02-2016, 04:36   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
Interesting take. A regular contributor recently went to another site and one of his complaints was his perception of unfettered encouragement of newbies to buy a boat and sail the world.

Like most things, I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say? I'm being genuine here, can you please explain further.

Old 13-02-2016, 04:39   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
A regular contributor recently went to another site and one of his complaints was his perception of unfettered encouragement of newbies to buy a boat and sail the world.
That guy (Mark) probably needs to go back to work.

He's way too smart to be wasting time on these petty internet arguments.......

But he said he could spend hours trying to loosen a rusted/stuck screw or bolt!
Old 13-02-2016, 04:40   #20
cruiser

Yes, the enjoyment has gone way down for me. Nowadays, I need to scrutinize everything I write, so that someone won't take it the wrong way, twist it around, then start the arguing and name calling.

The forum seemed to change last summer regarding the supervision.
Old 13-02-2016, 04:45   #21

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand what your trying to say? I'm being genuine here, can you please explain further.

Poster said, "even newbies are told off for following the dream." I was merely pointing out that at least one person complained about the exact opposite.

Old 13-02-2016, 04:53   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Ive noticed the same change. A lot more pointless arguments. Definately not in the best interest of CF. Mods should really step up efforts to curb this detrimental behaivior.

Maybe add a "fight club" forum where those so inclined can go argue all they want.
Old 13-02-2016, 04:57   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, the enjoyment has gone way down for me. Nowadays, I need to scrutinize everything I write, so that someone won't take it the wrong way, twist it around, then start the arguing and name calling.

The forum seemed to change last summer regarding the supervision.
Hey Ken, I agree with what your saying. An example to me would be Polux. Now I'm not saying people need to agree with him or that he is always right but the abuse ( and it is abuse) he cops is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong , disagreement is definately part of a public forum and good for it, and most that are disagreeing or debating do so in a acceptable manner it's the small majority that abuse the debate/discussion. I think it was you that were called a tool the other day? Is that ok?

Old 13-02-2016, 05:18   #24

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Too many silverback gorillas in the forum. I recommend castration.

GORDON KNIGHT
Old 13-02-2016, 05:26   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

For me CF is a kind of between jobs interest.. and during the jobs.. if I can get the connections..
My pleasure with CF is mainly gained from ribbing others 'old timer's' on here.
But.. every fall I come back to find folks I'd formed an online relationship is no longer around.. Hummingway for example.. okay I get it we're mainly old farts and the Reaper is busy as the weeks tick by.. age or the sea..
But it seems each time I re-appear some of the newbies seem more trollish/arguementative.
Personally no problem.. done my contribution duties as a newbie the first few years having to fight the Conservative's on here to prove I knew something.. till Atoll acknowledged maybe I knew something after all and just learnt via the School of Hard Knocks...
I am NOT here to teach folks.. if I wanted to do that I'd add it to my Delivery site and do it on a boat..
I will however post what I do.. you do as you choose..
And should anyone care to challenge me or call me a fool.. I'm happy to take up the lance and joust...
Everyone come's here for different reasons.. and tech info.. it is humungous.. but so is so much more.. route's, changing weather patterns, new marina's etc.. active sharing info not the dull stuff that can be picked up in any library. you know.. those house's with lots of things called 'Book's'.
For me this is a virtual bar.. and my mates hang out here.. and everyone else is welcome but... its a sailors bar.. not a WASP's meeting place for those of a certain class.. or wealth..
There's a lot of snobbery and elitism.. which I find hilarious.. but then the 'Nuevo Riche' have always made me laugh..
Mock me for my broken down bit of crap that has me doing more miles in a month than you do in a year Bud and I'll slap you right back.. just like in the real world...
But one thing stand out overall...
Its usually the 'Takers' doing the complaining about the Giver's... some jumped up twat who is out thought by single cells come's along.. BOOM..!!

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-02-2016, 05:26   #26

Boat: Skookum 53'

When one offers an opinion, regardless of how well reasoned it might be, it seems that there are plenty of posters that are willing to point out the deficiencies in the reasoning no matter how small. Straining gnats and swallowing camels.
Old 13-02-2016, 05:31   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

And right now, I'm finishing up a major refit and I don't have time to discuss the various merits of heat shrink butt connectors on electrical connections. I haven't gotten many sea miles this year which is a new thing for me and I am suffering from major fish killing withdrawal, which should be commencing again soon if my time on the grid is successful today. Tide and weather permitting.
Old 13-02-2016, 05:35   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Hey Ken, I think it was you that were called a tool the other day? Is that ok?
Hey Keno... You got promoted...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 13-02-2016, 05:49   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

It seems to me the disagreement level is a cyclical event, but always creeping up...

It's a shame, as there's so much knowledge here... It would go a LONG WAY to make things better if more of the argumentative type said:

"I think there's a better way".... Instead of ...

"You're an idiot and completely wrong... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We're not allowed to discuss moderation on CF, which may be a shame because some of us would like sometimes to have input. On the other hand, the mods are volunteers, who share thoughts and who are bloody d--n well doing the best they can. ....It's got to be a lot like trying to herd cats.

An internet forum is an incomplete service. People mainly do the best they can. Some people think CF needs more moderation, others, less. Therefore, they must have it about right. Just pay no attention to the contributors' posts whom you don't like. You don't even need the ignore button. You just consider the source, and the ignorable ones quickly make themselves apparent.

Basically, the mods do the very best they can; and you just might get volunteered to take a mod place if you kvetch.

'Nuff said.

Ann
Excellent post Ann !

(now... is discussing about "not" discussing really discussing???)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 13-02-2016, 06:32   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 33

This is a very interesting subject, and one I have thought about so many times, not just in regard to CF, but other online sites I frequent. I often find the online world difficult to function in for a variety of reasons, but bottom line is that, for me, it combines so many elements that I truly enjoy; communicating with people from diverse backgrounds, writing, learning new information, being exposed to different viewpoints; so I carry on and try to navigate it all without getting run over. (Not easy sometimes.)

For me, I often have to monitor my comments because in real life I have a rather dry and sarcastic sense of humor, which people who know me totally get, but it doesn't always translate well into the written word, especially if you forget to attach your little smiley faces. I think over time I have identified most of the others here and on other forums who share my acerbic wit and appreciate them for having the skill to get it out there without getting clobbered.

The thing that absolutely confounds me....that, being a people person, I honestly do not understand, are why there are so many people on a SOCIAL forum who seem to have the most unsocial tendancies. They say they are just here to "learn," and don't care about being social. There are so many informational sources out there that require no personal interaction with others, you can read to your hearts content, watch videos, download tutorials, and gather any and all kind of information you could ever want, without ever having the need to be rude to another person. So why do they? Why are there some people on this forum (and most others) who I can honestly say I don't think have ever seen make a single comment of a positive nature, even though they post frequently. If they followed my Mama's advice and "didn't say anything if they couldn't say anything nice," they wouldn't have a single post on here anywhere.

I understand that we all come from different life experiences and viewpoints, and I find that to be so very interesting, but there are so many who turn that into a basis of being mean. Instead of just saying "this is what I do" or "this is how I do it," they have to extend that to say, "this is what I do and you are all idiots who do it or see it differently." They either don't understand that by making sweeping, generalized, insulting comments there are going to be actual, real people here who are going to be saying, "wtf??"

On the thread where we were talking about Facebook. One poster, rather than just saying they don't use Facebook and don't like it had to extend those comments to say that anyone who does has "frustrated adolescent tendancies." Or the thread where we were talking about sailing boats with simple systems and someone had to say, "the only reason people sail simple boats is because they can't afford boats with the good stuff on them." Or the ongoing, never friggin ending, posts where there are a couple of posters who take every opportunity to say that people who spend time restoring boats do so because they don't know how to sail, or don't really want to sail. And of course I don't even need to go into the gun threads, anchor threads, keel threads, production boat threads, health care debate, composting head issue. OMG........

From politics, to religion, to diet, to type of boat, there is nothing that can't be criticized in the most insulting of ways. I guess it's just human nature, but not a part of human nature that I find particularly attractive, and it is truly a stumbling block to being "social."

So, I find that I'll initially find a thread interesting and try to get involved, and then a couple of the rude posters will come skidding into it with their forked tongue (keyboard) ablazing, and rather than get my Irish up and take the chance of getting moderated I just check out again and move onto the next thing, because once you get one of them in there the only people that remain after awhile are those who enjoy arguing with them. To me that thread is dead after that.

Tbere are a couple of threads going over on Sailnet started by people who used to be on this form who want to have everyone believe that it's better there. Their reasoning is that this forum is over moderated. I for one think it's unfortunate that we as reasonable, intelligent adults need that amount of moderation.

Boatie likened it to a sailor's bar. I think that is a good analogy. So the question is, why don't we talk to each other here the way we would actually talk to each other if we were sitting face to face across that bar. I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum. If they did, I dare say some here would find themselves drinking alone.

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing