Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2016, 03:17   #166
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Jungle Bar was North Shields, but always well worth a visit.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:20   #167

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

One thing that's changed is the mobile app. I'm guessing in the last few years more people are posting on the run from a mobile. Harder to type a really detailed post, and much harder to edit.
But much easier to bang out a quick reply without the deeper thought that might have happened if you were at a desk.

Also the mobile app has no easy way to say thanks for a post. This can change the dynamic, as it's nice getting the odd thanks, and giving them out to a well written thoughtful post.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2016, 03:36   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
There might be a fourth or at least a 3a!

... where someone selects you and stalks your posts, and then sends you pms saying I know where you live."

Truly frightening to me and I've been doing boating forums for many, many years and this was the first.

Happened last month right on here, and the mods were great to get rid of this creep.

Thanks again, Ed.
Sheeeesh Stu, that really sucks. I've had that too.

Going back to the early days of the internet, and 'chatgroups', there were some really slimy creeps hanging out on those.

I have NEVER used my real name on any sort of internet forum since. Nobody I was online with at the time will do it either. To me it's one of the most important internet things to avoid doing. Once stalked by a real 'bad un' it's a massive wakeup call.

I did like CompuServe's system of members numbers (mine was 100,1002 - strange what you remember).

There's only a tiny minority of people that are really bad news, and when you come across them, you have to tackle them. I do think that most (if not all) of those that actively push for people to be compelled to use their real names on the internet, are part of that tiny minority.

With your IP address and your name, they know exactly who and where you are, pretty much in seconds.

PS Since those times, I have taken up baseball. I have a bat and ball by the door, in case the weather picks up enough to go outside and hit the ball around a bit.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:44   #169

Boat: Valiant 42

And you can be threatened with a law suit for saying the wrong thing. That's always fun...
Old 14-02-2016, 03:46   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalexplorer View Post
I just wish everyone would use a spell checker before hitting send, (suggest full stop instead of comma) Now (suggest use comma ,) I know I am not perfect (suggest use comma again ,) but I do try to edit the corrections (tautologous/unnecessary). Some folks I notice are just so full of (tautologous/unnecessary) over confidence (suggest "confident") in their touch typing abilities that what they send does not always make (suggest add "complete") sense.

Perhaps the moderators should veto ambiguously worded questions by contacting the sender (and) (agree word "and" not required so not sure why you even bothered to put it there let alone put it in brackets) requesting clarification before re-posting. A typical problem arises when some (suggest remove space between some and one and use "someone") one writes asking (quoting) "what boat to buy", W (incorrect capitalization - suggest small case "w")ithout giving their geographical location: Which thus makes (suggest use of colon inappropriate, consider using a comma, remove "Which thus" and change makes to ", making" it a ridiculous question. Yet all jump on it and off it goes to several pages. (Suggest syntax error/confusing/consider reconstruct sentence please - not sure what you mean here?
Please consider my editing
Honorary sub-editor.....
Lagoon 440 Hull #30
Brisbane, Australia.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:47   #171

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post

So, I find that I'll initially find a thread interesting and try to get involved, and then a couple of the rude posters will come skidding into it with their forked tongue (keyboard) ablazing, and rather than get my Irish up and take the chance of getting moderated I just check out again and move onto the next thing, because once you get one of them in there the only people that remain after awhile are those who enjoy arguing with them. To me that thread is dead after that.

Tbere are a couple of threads going over on Sailnet started by people who used to be on this form who want to have everyone believe that it's better there. Their reasoning is that this forum is over moderated. I for one think it's unfortunate that we as reasonable, intelligent adults need that amount of moderation.

Boatie likened it to a sailor's bar. I think that is a good analogy. So the question is, why don't we talk to each other here the way we would actually talk to each other if we were sitting face to face across that bar. I venture that a lot of these rude posters would never in a million years talk to another sailor in person they way they do here on the forum. If they did, I dare say some here would find themselves drinking alone.
Good post. Regarding the need of moderation it would be nice if all behave like you suggest and moderation was not needed, but the fact is that I went out of sailnet because insults and personal attacks are allowed there by moderators, much more than here and the level of rudeness is incomparably higher.

Fact is that it is very difficult to moderate a forum maintaining it social besides informative. If the forum rules were strictly enforced regarding:
"Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence...are not acceptable.... Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness."
most controversial threads would be closed very quickly.

Personally, regarding controversial discussions over subjects that can have different views, that are inherently interesting and informative, what pisses me up more are posters that act like groupies. Don't know if the expression really is spot on but I explain what I mean:

On a discussion over a controversial subject posters express their opinions in an argumentative way substantiating their views.... but at a certain point on the serious discussion there are always some posters, that not adding anything regarding the topic in discussion, start lobbying to one of the sides with out of context posts that are many times rude to the supporters of one of the views, that are belligerent, that are sarcastic and certainly not relevant to the discussion not addressing anything, or any point in discussion and which only objective is diminish the supporters of other opinions, not by arguments but by bulling.

I believe that those posts are the real reason why some interesting discussions turn sour and disagreeable, adding much noise to interesting information, sometimes more noise than information.

By the forum rules those posts should not be allowed and if people acted in an adult way as you say they should, the ones that post them would refrain to do so. Giving those facts, I think a good way to keep the discussions informative and on topic it is to make clear that those Groupie type of posts, or Bully posts, devoid of any relevant information regarding the subject in discussion would not be allowed.

That would certainly raise the informative content of the threads as it would contribute for less rudeness around.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:54   #172

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Recently there seems to be more arguments than information in the posts. There was a time not that long ago when the hands on advice came from Cruisers passing on their experience, lately the laudest voice seems to be from keyboard worriers who parotphraze someone else written theory from the 70s or an out and out troll looking for a stupid argument. It's not helpful, especially for the newbee or even the experienced looking for help or conformation. What's the Answer?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Could not agree more, let's go back to sailing.
Old 14-02-2016, 03:58   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Please consider my editing
Honorary sub-editor.....
You missed a full stop. Lol!

Lol!

eta: Being a moderator is an extremely tough job, especially on a successful forum. It's a success that can cause a great deal of envy on other forums, and, members of other forums will even join the successful forum, in an attempt to take it down.

I bet a lot of you didn't realise that sort of stuff goes on?

One of my friends is a paid moderator on the BBC's forums. They couldn't even begin to pay me enough, for me to consider doing that job.
Old 14-02-2016, 04:15   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
I disagree completely with the OP. This is my 6th year as a poster on CF. I have visited the "other" forums and found the level of discussion and quality of posters on CF to be much higher than its competitors. This stems, I believe, from an attempt by the moderators to allow civil discourse in an open and free discussion. In any forum, there are always those who seek to control the dialogue and repress the free flow of ideas and information. In my opinion, they are largely those who either cannot contribute to a discussion in a significant way, are insecure or feel intellectually incapable of dealing with those members who are experienced, knowledgeable and have good communicative skills. I have never felt intimidated by any poster on this Forum and appreciate contrary views since, on occasion, it has led me to rethink some ideas about cruising. Isn't that what the education process entails? And, at times, I have been warned/edited by the moderators for a submission that I felt was fair and respectful and have been the recipient of slanderous and unfair statements, but we do not live in a perfect world. The bottom line, for me, is that what separates Western Civilization from the rest of the world is freedom of speech and expression. There is nothing to be gained by an individual or a society by the heavy hand of PC repression of thoughts and ideas. Good luck and safe sailing.
I could not agree more. And i find also that the level of information on this forum become higher on the last years.

I have been an active contributor only on the last two years but I am a member and made some contribution since 5 years ago and at that time there was still very conservative ideas and unfounded views regarding contemporary boat design. I remember a thread about stability where most thought that modern beamy boats have necessarily a worse final stability, a lower AVS than older designs.

Generally I find the overall knowledge about sailboats on this forum much superior than the one on sailnet and better only on Boat design Forum, even if that one is to harsh in what regards socializing that has some has pointed is also an important interest for many around this forum.
Old 14-02-2016, 04:30   #175
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I could not agree more. And i find also that the level of information on this forum become higher on the last years.

I have been an active contributor only on the last two years but I am a member and made some contribution since 5 years ago and at that time there was still very conservative ideas and unfounded views regarding contemporary boat design. I remember a thread about stability where most thought that modern beamy boats have necessarily a worse final stability, a lower AVS than older designs.

Generally I find the overall knowledge about sailboats on this forum much superior than the one on sailnet and better only on Boat design Forum, even if that one is to harsh in what regards socializing that has some has pointed is also an important interest for many around this forum.
Cheers Polux... damn nice of you to say so seeing as you are one of those who catch a lot of flack.. in a different way to us Pissheads...
Severe flooding Agueda, Coimbra, Nazare town hit by huge wave's according to SIC news

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-02-2016, 04:35   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaitB View Post
As a newbie, my opinion is shaded by the fact that I haven't been on here for years. That said, I have had some good advice which was appreciated - but some of the responses, made only to be snide and "funny"made me shy away from this group.

As a female sailboat owner, the last thing I want to read are chauvinistic comments from men who have no idea who I am or what I'm about. You don't know anything about me and it's not open season! Rather than waste my time fighting back, I moved on. I have found another group which is only for women and have received excellent guidance, warmth and encouragement from others who love the sport of sailing. There are a lot of women on this forum - and we deserve to be treated with some respect rather than disdain.

Again, only my opinion and I'm guessing it'll be about 5 minutes before the trolls come out to play...
I guess you are right about that. I see some women sailors being treated here with a lot of respect but I suspect that some trolls post from time to time some stupid threads about a young girl wanting to find a boat to cruises and "offering" a lot in return even if on an implicit way.

The truth is that those threads instead of being ignored are object of fun and chauvinistic comments,are popular threads. I find that contributes to a less friendly ambiance to women here.

I have to say that I am liberal enough to not see any problem in a younger girl wanting to find someone suitable with a boat to cruise or voyage but the reply to such an offer, regarding the ones interested in it, should logically be made by a PM and not on an open forum.
Old 14-02-2016, 04:40   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Cheers Polux... damn nice of you to say so seeing as you are one of those who catch a lot of flack.. in a different way to us Pissheads...
Severe flooding Agueda, Coimbra, Nazare town hit by huge wave's according to SIC news
Yes , I am trying to hold my front-yard trees on the ground
Old 14-02-2016, 04:50   #178

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

Hey Polux, impressive attitude. I suppose everything is relative, I should spend more time over at Sailnet and then come back, I might view CF abit different then...lol.

Interesting that I saw on SN an accusation regarding this topic on CF and how they are different. My observation is its pretty much the same there.

Anyway there seems to be some merit to the thread or it wouldn't of got big so fast, not only that, but different opinions have been posted without the thread being infected by exactly what we've been discussing or debating.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-02-2016, 04:58   #179
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is Cruisers sailing forum losing it's way

This is a part of something I posted on Tips n Trick...
[I'll lay odds on that within a week of them coming out with their Comprehensive List of Tips and Tricks they'll post something they'd forgotten until the subject arose..
There's a lot of whinging goes on by some but... some really great yet simple idea's/truths emerge out of the melee...
But.. each to their own.. there's quiet corners for researchers n swots and rowdy area's for the regulars..
Never understand why some people have to show up somewhere and feel obliged to change a success story into their own personal idea of what a site could be.. this applies to newly born Mods as well who feel the urge to flex their muscle and impose their personal values and opinions..
But CF survives regardless and moves on.. there's plenty of other forums out there.. I'm a member with all of them, but rarely a participator..
Not enough mix.. specific area's etc..
]

I realised suddenly how true the Mod comment is... the bane of my life used to be FrankZ... and the lady with the Jessica Rabbit legs..
He/she warned me.. banned me... a couple of times.. so my testing of the waters in 2010 was done to find his/her 'Depth of Tolerance' to my somewhat blunt lower deck response's.. (and gentle all you Yank's into the Humour of a wider world..nI am pleased to say.. your starting to get the hang of 'Brit' humour at least..)
So... over the years Mods come and go.. sometimes a Mod is picked who is relatively new to the site (active side) and will try the 'New Broom' thing and the regulars have to either give way or resist the 'Nanny State'rs..'
some just leave in short order.. which is a shame.. I miss Coop and some off the old crew.. the site is poorer for it.
A Moderators job is to manage the group and keep order.. it is not to my mind.. his job to try and warp things into his personal ideal..
Its kinda hard when you wake up one morning when and suddenly yesterdays acceptable posts are todays ticket to the Gulag..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-02-2016, 05:17   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Stopped drinking Stella 20 odd years back when they started serving it in plastic glasses.. it had already got a bad name as the other 50% of a 'Snakebite'.. the "I wanna get outa my face and kill" cocktail of certain bars..
Try to find a Portuguese beer with such an odd name as "Sovina" (it means stingy) and I believe you would not regret the search. I like particularly the Indian's Pale hale but like the Amber too.
Sovina® Cerveja Artesanal
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail, sailing