Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2019, 00:40   #1

Boat: Volkscruiser
Being more positive on CF

I have been thinking about this a fair bit after a few newbies posted some negative opinions of CF.
I seriously do not think we can be more positive. Being involved with boats can be a sharp learning curve to a newbie and even the experienced sailor still gets bitten occasionally.
Here in Queensland, boatyard hard stand fees are fairly expensive so if you choose the wrong project boat then very quickly you start going backwards. It’s a scenario I see all to often and a lot of members post with similar experiences.
The same with living aboard, I am not into YouTube but a lot of these posters have watched these clips and assume it’s utopian environment that they can’t wait to be part of. I often feel like saying how about totally living in the bathroom of your house for a month, only using the window as access and see how you feel about being a live aboard.
Other posters want to get onboard for their first sail, but they seem to forget that for a lot of us our yachts are an extension of our house and for us the yacht is part of our family. I am happy to have strangers onboard for a coffee and sail as long as they have good manners and I get a good first impression, that concept seems alien to some posters.
So in short I think it’s hard for a world wide audience to be completely positive since there can so many pitfalls for a newbie sailor.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote