Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2011, 18:00   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: money money money

ROTFLMAO.... 5yr plan... 15yr plan.... in 2001 I was told by my employers Citibank that they'd been taken over by Nordbanken and that I had 3mths and then I was outa work....
I presented my middle finger... told em to sit on it and swivel and entered my 15day plan.... fly to the Carib and buy a Beneteau 321.....
But then WTF... I was a temp contract worker so no 401K...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 18:05   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: money money money

boaty--i like yer style...lol......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2011, 22:23   #33

Boat: Pearson 281

Done with "stuff" and been so for awhile. Started with my divorce and while it was tough I got rid of as much stuff as I could as fast as I could done done done. What little there is now goes to getting out. Have not for a moment regreted it.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 06:28   #34

Boat: Beneteau 41S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop View Post
and well..i DID sell my harley...so that was a HUGE decision for me....at least it shows im determined..to the wife anyway. baby steps...baby steps....the harley ok...but NOT MY GUNS!
Sold the Harley!!!! Never!! But.... you gotta do, what you gotta do.

97fxdwg
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 19:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97fxdwg View Post
Sold the Harley!!!! Never!! But.... you gotta do, what you gotta do.

97fxdwg
i know i know.....talk about a grown man crying....LOL. it was an 09 superglide
loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 19:50   #36

Boat: Catalina 22
Re: Money Money Money

I'm 4 months into my 5 yr. plan, and already I'm 4 months behind on the budget. Have to keep spending boat bucks to get'er sailing so I can justify the $1000 seasonal slip fee I spent. Meanwhile, paying off the IRS and the country club commitment that was all supposed to be gone by June, will hang around a few more months. Plus the truck will be unusable in a few months, so I gotta buy my friend's Honda. That's another $5k behinder I get...

Soon as the $200 worth of parts for the outboard come in, I'll (hopefully) be able to back out of the slip and motor out to the lake where I can raise the sails.

Loop, I know right where you're coming from!
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 20:23   #37

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)

Budgets are one thing that I've always been good at. I tend to put together realistic buddgets, and then stick to them pretty rigourously. I've been that way since I started to hanndle money when I got out of high school. I'm on my 2nd year of a 3 year plan. So far, if anything, I'm slightly ahead of schedule. If I am, it's an insigificant ammount, but I'm deffently not behind schedule. I'm got a good job, and am making plenty of cash flow right now. I understand that's a unique situation, so I like to take advantage of it.

What I do have is the "golden handcuffs" problem. If a small boat would be good, and a few hunderd dollars a month would be OK, a slightly bigger boat would be better right? And a thousand or two dollars per month would be better, more comfortable, and safer? Right? So maybe my 3 year plan will turn into a 6 year plan, because of the "golden handcuff", or "guilded cage" effect.

Remember, look out for the guilded cage!
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:54   #38

i dont know if i have what you would really call a budget. i just have a crude way of handling my finances. i have 3 accounts. account 1 gets all the money neccesarry to pay the bills. account 2 gets what i have alloted for saving. and account 3 gets the left over money to use as discretionary spending. i.e. food....gas...whatever. when account 3 is out...then its boxed mac n cheese and hot dogs lol. i do my dead level best to NEVER pull from account 2 and never ever ever from account 1. so know matter what the bills are paid. i might not have much to eat...but atleast the mortgage is paid and the truck aint gettin repo'd.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:30   #39

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Ever wonder what it's like for the folks that use Nets Jets to fly back and forth to their yacht?
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43   #40

Boat: Cape Dory

Why do you want to go at 40? I'd make that 15 year plan a 15 month plan. There's a lot of crap about 40 that will try to get in the way of your plan 15 yrs from now. Right now, you can cruise cheap, work just about anywhere (depending on your skills) and the women can roll with a lot more at 25 than they will at 40 (not to mention that even if you find one cool enough to do some extended cruising with you, they'll want the bread for stuff liek house, retirement fund, kids tuition . . .). Just my first take . . . mostly I can't figure out how you can want to go badly enough to plan but also delay the plan for 15 years!
Luck, and thanks loads for the ABBA reference really loads! -)
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58   #41

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

I just have to jump in here! In January of 2010 I decided I had "Talked the Talk" long enough. It was time to "Walk the walk" or stop talking the talk. I was widowed in 2008 so it was time for "no excuses." I sold two cars (I am now carless for the first time in 50 years.), sold everything that wouldn't fit on a boat, found a wonderful woman who would share my dream, rented out my house (obvious reason), bought my boat, and headed to islands. No regrets. Walking The Walk.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:06   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Why do you want to go at 40? I'd make that 15 year plan a 15 month plan. There's a lot of crap about 40 that will try to get in the way of your plan 15 yrs from now. Right now, you can cruise cheap, work just about anywhere (depending on your skills) and the women can roll with a lot more at 25 than they will at 40 (not to mention that even if you find one cool enough to do some extended cruising with you, they'll want the bread for stuff liek house, retirement fund, kids tuition . . .). Just my first take . . . mostly I can't figure out how you can want to go badly enough to plan but also delay the plan for 15 years!
Luck, and thanks loads for the ABBA reference really loads! -)

thats just when i will be able to retire from the military. for a guaranteed check and healthcare....i can wait 15 yrs. i do however plan on trying to get some sailing in between now and then, dont get me wrong. im also fixin to to do a little stint in tx for a few years as an instructor which should give me pretty good assignment choices when the term is up, so i will try to get as close to the water as possible.

on another note, any of you guys or gals in/around tx know anything about the bay area sailing school/club in Kemah? thats where i plan to start this summer. perhaps i should start another thread on this topic
Old 01-05-2011, 14:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
I just have to jump in here! In January of 2010 I decided I had "Talked the Talk" long enough. It was time to "Walk the walk" or stop talking the talk. I was widowed in 2008 so it was time for "no excuses." I sold two cars (I am now carless for the first time in 50 years.), sold everything that wouldn't fit on a boat, found a wonderful woman who would share my dream, rented out my house (obvious reason), bought my boat, and headed to islands. No regrets. Walking The Walk.
Did that "wonderful woman" also happen to bring along some $$ with her? That would make it way easier to "walk the walk".
Old 01-05-2011, 15:52   #44

Location: Sold the Full Moon in PR, now on St Simons Island, GA
Boat: Hunter, Deck Salon, 44, Fullmoon

If you get rid of ALL your land based STUFF, convert it to a boat, AND have a modest income (say SS), it can be done without a lot of $$. You have to be willing to "burn the boats at the shoreline" as the Vikings did. In other words, nothing to go back to. It is a very hard decision for most people.
Fullmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 16:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullmoon View Post
If you get rid of ALL your land based STUFF, convert it to a boat, AND have a modest income (say SS), it can be done without a lot of $$. You have to be willing to "burn the boats at the shoreline" as the Vikings did. In other words, nothing to go back to. It is a very hard decision for most people.
Not for me, it won't be. On my miniscule s/s check it'll be either downsize now while I'm working and save up for a livable boat, or retire to a land-based life in a closet, or worse yet, pitch-in with a couple of other geezer roomates. I didn't plan well, so now I have to.

Currently own nothing of any real value except a $2k sailboat and $2k pickup, and $2k worth of drums. all my furniture came from dumpsters or thrift stores; most of my clothes and kitchenware as well.

If I can save enough, and live frugally, finding the right boat will be a step up.

Tags
money