Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2010, 20:52   #1
cruiser

How Do You Keep Money ?

I am hooked to my debit card... I rarely carry more then $20 on me...so, how much should i carry, and how??? do port of call have atm machines? do they charge outrageous transaction fees?

thanks
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 21:26   #2

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
It Depends on the bank.
I seldom paid a fee for an ATM transaction while in the Caribbean. Except at islands that used the US dollar.
Wells Fargo Bank charges me $3 to use my debit card in their ATM machine in Vancouver, Washington.

John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2010, 21:52   #3

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Depens of course where you're going. Some places are very user friendly but others are still very much cash orientated. If you're doing some serious cruising, my opinion is that it would be foolhardy not to carry a reasonable amount of 'emergency cash'.

If you loose you wallet or you're on a small island with a problem and the only local that can fix it doesnt take cards, youre stuffed!

Personally, I use my card for the day to day stuff but keep a reasonable amount of cash on board for this eventuality. Of course, it's secure in a proper steel safe.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:05   #4

Boat: Boatless
It sometimes costs over $200 to check-in and they want cash and exact change really helps, they can't change $100 for you.

You need at least $500 and lots of small bills helps.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:29   #5

I'm an IT consultant supporting the credit card system of a major Swedish bank and to me cash is still King.

I would never travel without at least some cash from an easily convertible currency (been caught out with Swedish Kronner that could not be exchanged), ATM cards from more than one bank and multiple card brands (Visa, MC, Amex etc...)

**** happens and sometimes the cards don't work.

I'm also not to fond of looking at my card statement and seeing how much I have spent at which bars and at what time of the night. Cash saves me from those memories
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Most ports have ATM machines. I remember watching the locals reaction to the new ATM in Port Villa, Vanuatu--they couldn't believe the machine spit out vatu.

Definitely look into what your bank charges--Bank of America has outrageous ATM and currency conversion fees compared to our Fidelity brokerage account.

You will still want to carry some cash, and you will want to split it up--most cruisers carry a dummy wallet with expired credit cards and some cash to give to the pirates.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
You will still want to carry some cash, and you will want to split it up--most cruisers carry a dummy wallet with expired credit cards and some cash to give to the pirates.
A street thug is not a pirate. Pirates board your boat to do harm. Robbers demand your money. Thieves steal from you.
Carrying a dummy wallet is a good idea though.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
ATM cards from more than one bank and multiple card brands (Visa, MC, Amex etc...)

**** happens and sometimes the cards don't work.
I second that. I carry cards from three banks and often find one or two will not work in overseas ATMs. Which ones seems to be random and changing. I also find that sometimes I have to try two or three ATMs from different banks to get anything to work.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48   #9
cruiser

thanks and sorry for not being a bit more clear...

I will be sailing out of the keys, so any islands within reach from there will be my destinations for the next couple years...

and yea i planned on carrying some cash for those times wehre debit cards dont work but was more concerned with the stupid atm machines... but, i guess it is a necessary evil...
Old 01-01-2011, 11:22   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
virgin islands have atms that actually work like inside usa mainland. there are actually us virgins and puerto rico to visit with real mainland usa atms. mexico is different from virgins.
NOONSITE.COM has a country by country itemization of needs for humans and pets, weather and check in and whatever is needed. have fun. much of cruising the carib is like cruising the gulf of mexico. some places(owned by brit, holland, etc) need money for check in and many do not. there is no mordida that i saw in virgins. is in mexico.

i travelled gulf with less than 20 dollars in my pocket and a debit card in my wallet.
i cruised usvi and bvi with a debit card and 100 dollars in my pocket. one check in fee for bvi, covers all the islands. they do take cards, or did when i was there in 2008.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:53   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
I usually travel with about $500 in cash, split up into several hidey holes but rely on either a credit card or, more likely a debit card. A point to keep in mind though is that some debit cards will get locked if used outside the US, unless you contact them in advance to tell them where you will be and for how long. My lady took a cruise ship trip to Cozumel and we had to tell the bank ahead of time otherwise, lockout.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:02   #12
cruiser

pm sent for something else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
virgin islands have atms that actually work like inside usa mainland. there are actually us virgins and puerto rico to visit with real mainland usa atms. mexico is different from virgins.
NOONSITE.COM has a country by country itemization of needs for humans and pets, weather and check in and whatever is needed. have fun. much of cruising the carib is like cruising the gulf of mexico. some places(owned by brit, holland, etc) need money for check in and many do not. there is no mordida that i saw in virgins. is in mexico.

i travelled gulf with less than 20 dollars in my pocket and a debit card in my wallet.
i cruised usvi and bvi with a debit card and 100 dollars in my pocket. one check in fee for bvi, covers all the islands. they do take cards, or did when i was there in 2008.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:37   #13

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. I second Hoppy's input. I know longer take for granted that my cards are going to work. That came so close to happening in October 2008 you know. I now carry enough cash with me to do our provisioning just in case. All the best in the New Yeear. Cheers. P.S. Schwab has no ATM fees (including international) at the current time. I have been satisified with their customer service to date.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 14:12   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
Carry cash, enough to sustain you for a month or so, credit cards, and personal checks. It is good to establish yourself with an international bank, we use UBS, but there are many. Have a personal banker you can call in a pinch.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 17:24   #15

Ideal would be 2 weeks worth of cash (greenbacks are best). Minimum would be enough to take care of everything for 4 days in case you pull in on a Friday after close & the electronics don't work.
warthog1984 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money