Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2024, 16:31   #1

WARNING : Sailrite Machine (240v/international) version does not work with inverters

Bought a Sailrite 240v/international version and missed the fine print stating that it will not work with 240v inverters (only shore power)

Rather than sell it, i've since bought a 110v dedicated worker box and a inverter and will have to use that setup, and swap out the workerbox every time i wish to use the machine with 240 shore power and vice versa

Total cost currently $2484USD ($3800 AUD)

Consult with Sailrite directly but i assume this will also be the case if you are wanting to upgrade your older machine to the newer WorkerB motor (240v version)

Sailrite have been unapologetic to my situation. Apparently the go to boat sewing machine does not work on boats anymore (240v/international version).
Slight Adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 17:13   #2

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Re: WARNING : Sailrite Machine (240v/international) version does not work with invert

What inverter won't it work with ?

The Sailrite should not even know that it is an inverter if it is a true sine inverter at the correct Hz.

Bizarre claim.
Old 09-02-2024, 17:16   #3

Re: WARNING : Sailrite Machine (240v/international) version does not work with invert

This is an email directly from sailrite:

The key statements here are that no WorkerB will run from a 12V to 230V Inverter. And if you want it to work from a 12V to 110V inverter then you must have the WorkerB dedicated 110V box. This is not ideal but these are facts. The workaround is to have both boxes and switch back and forth. But in your case you would need a new inverter that outputs 110V.

These videos will help:

https://www.sailrite.com/WorkerB-100...Inverter-Tests

https://www.sailrite.com/WorkerB-110V-Inverter-Tests
Old 09-02-2024, 17:25   #4

to be clear it is not my specific inverter. It is ALL 240v inverters. This is an email directly from Matt at Sailrite (the video he provides are not available on Sailrite's website):

The key statements here are that no WorkerB will run from a 12V to 230V Inverter. And if you want it to work from a 12V to 110V inverter then you must have the WorkerB dedicated 110V box. This is not ideal but these are facts. The workaround is to have both boxes and switch back and forth. But in your case you would need a new inverter that outputs 110V.

These videos will help:

Old 09-02-2024, 18:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post

The Sailrite should not even know that it is an inverter if it is a true sine inverter at the correct Hz.

Bizarre claim.
I agree - sounds like an inverter issue, not an appliance issue. If I understand OP correctly, machine works fine on shore power but not on inverter power. How is that a sailrite issue? Perhaps the OP can provide a screenshot of the "fine print" where Sailrite states their machines won't work on inverter power.

BTW - I've been a Sailrite customer for almost 30 years and been extremely happy with their quality and customer service.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 18:26   #6

To be clear, this is not a "one off" issue with my inverter. This is with all 240v inverters.

This is an email directly from Matt at sailrite:

These videos will help:

Old 09-02-2024, 19:01   #7

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Seems like sailrite knows there is a problem with some inverters, specifically at 220V:
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 19:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I agree - sounds like an inverter issue, not an appliance issue. If I understand OP correctly, machine works fine on shore power but not on inverter power. How is that a sailrite issue? Perhaps the OP can provide a screenshot of the "fine print" where Sailrite states their machines won't work on inverter power.

BTW - I've been a Sailrite customer for almost 30 years and been extremely happy with their quality and customer service.

sorry, there is a reply that is being moderated for some reason. To be clear, it is not a problem with my inverter, or any inverter for that matter. It is a compatibility issue with their servo motor. No 240v inverter will work. I have an email excerpt from Matt at Sailrite, with some videos also that they provided me.
Old 09-02-2024, 19:14   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post

Bizarre claim.
Email directly from Matt at Sailrite:

Inverters with an output of 220/230V will never work. This means there are very limited inverter options for use with this particular WorkerB Power Pack. If usage via an inverter is a key requirement, Sailrite recommends purchasing a 110V WorkerB machine/system and running from any 500W or better inverter with a 100-120V output.

Old 09-02-2024, 19:16   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If they can't explain why it won't work, then as far as I'm concerned, their support is full of crap and doesn't understand the problem. There has to be something about the power being fed to the unit that it doesn't like, but it should be a fixable issue.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 19:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
Seems like sailrite knows there is a problem with some inverters, specifically at 220V:
Yep they know, but still sell it anyways. To be fair, it is stated in fine print on their website but, i missed it. My argument is, there should be a checkbox or something similar when buying the 240/international version.

My aim is to bring awareness to this issue.
Old 09-02-2024, 19:20   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

All garbage inverters.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 19:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
If they can't explain why it won't work, then as far as I'm concerned, their support is full of crap and doesn't understand the problem. There has to be something about the power being fed to the unit that it doesn't like, but it should be a fixable issue.
My biased, uneducated opinion is they weren't aware of the issue before they had already heaps of stock made. Now they need to shift that stock.
Old 09-02-2024, 19:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
All garbage inverters.
Agreed. Mine is Victron Multiplus II 5000w
Old 09-02-2024, 19:23   #15
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slight Adrift View Post
Agreed. Mine is Victron Multiplus II 5000w
And it doesn’t work? How about when it transfers shore power? Generator?

Edit: configure the inverter for 55 or 60Hz and see what happens…

Edit 2: turn the plug around or if your plug doesn’t allow that, rewire and swap phase and neutral conductors.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, sail, sailrite, work