Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2023, 03:27   #1

Looking for Sailomat 601 wind vane dimensions

Hello,

i just recently picked up a used Sailomat 601-X in good condition.
However it is missing the varioius wind vanes.
Does anyone here have this model and can provide me with the dimensions, so I can make my own?

Thanks a lot!
SailorMcCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 02:58   #2

Boat: Endurance 44
Re: Looking for Sailomat 601 wind vane dimensions

Hi,
I'm in the same boat as you. My used sailomat came with a homemade vane with dimensions that appear a little large to me. Its also too heavy to be properly counterbalanced, and appear to be only mountable backwards?
I believe the previous owner made it larger to get more power out of it, to compensate for all the seized bushings and missing bearing rollers.
The shape proportions looks like factory though: 110x26cm at the highest and widest. The modern sailomats use a more oval shape. I dont know how sensitive they are to vane shape, as long as its reasonably balanced and light it shouldnt add much friction to the bearings.
If anyone has dimensions of 601 or newer vanes that work in practice, Im also interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17077353662732499461762613569872.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	286211  
EnduroSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 03:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Please stand by for a few days, and I'll measure the ones on my boat.
I'm thinking of making spares out of corrugated clear plastic like Monitor now uses--sign shops and some hardware stores carry it in sheets.

As for balance, I like to keep the vane bigger and the counteweight lower--seems like a bigger pendulum moving further would create a smoother effect.
Old 12-02-2024, 03:26   #4

Thanks Benz, I'll be waiting for them!

Good tips with the corrugated plastic. Maybe it would be overkill to make a composite divinycell/glassfiber one like I first intended. Have you experimented with downwind rake angle in higher winds, as recommended by Peter Christian Förthmann in his book self steering under sail?

https://bluemoment.com/downloads/selfsteering.pdf
Old 12-02-2024, 07:35   #5
Marine Service Provider

Ok, I had them in my shop, so a lot closer.
The larger vane is 43 1/4" from base to tip. 10" up from the base is the widest point, which is 8 1/2" it narrows to 5" near the top where the arc of the rounded section begins.
The leading edge is straight--all the dogleg to reach the widest part and then taper happens on the trailing edge.

The smaller vane is 41 1/4" long. It's 8" at the widest point, which occurs 7 1/2" up from the base. The leading edge is not straight, but tapers in each direction from the widest point, though the trailing edge does more so. It's 5 3/8" at the top where the arc of the roundover begins.

Hope this helps.
Old 21-03-2024, 02:33   #6

Thanks Benz, much appreciated!

I have uploaded a drawing with your dimensions (converted to metric) if that can help anyone else. The numbers within parenthesis are the dimensions of my oversize vane, which at 1.2kg is too heavy for the 601 counterweight to be balanced properly. Most likely, a straight wing with rounded ends like the modern sailomat designs would probably work just as well.

I ended up making the bigger of your vanes, see attached. It weighs in at half of my plywood vane, at 600g. I used 5mm PVC foam core with a cutout for an aluminium insert where it meets the windvane mast. I epoxied one continuous layer of 300gsm weave glass fiber per side, with a second layer reinforcing the bottom. I will paint it for UV resistance and add a strip uv spinacker cloth to the trailing top edge for light wind sensitivity as according to Self-Steering under Sail by Christian Förthmann.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240321_101029~2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	287860   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240312_185549~2.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	377.4 KB
ID:	287861  

Old 21-03-2024, 03:19   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroSailing View Post
Thanks Benz, much appreciated!

I have uploaded a drawing with your dimensions (converted to metric) if that can help anyone else. The numbers within parenthesis are the dimensions of my oversize vane, which at 1.2kg is too heavy for the 601 counterweight to be balanced properly. Most likely, a straight wing with rounded ends like the modern sailomat designs would probably work just as well.

I ended up making the bigger of your vanes, see attached. It weighs in at half of my plywood vane, at 600g. I used 5mm PVC foam core with a cutout for an aluminium insert where it meets the windvane mast. I epoxied one continuous layer of 300gsm weave glass fiber per side, with a second layer reinforcing the bottom. I will paint it for UV resistance and add a strip uv spinacker cloth to the trailing top edge for light wind sensitivity as according to Self-Steering under Sail by Christian Förthmann.
Awesome! Glad I could help.

Tags
men, sail, sailomat, wind, wind vane