Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 13:07   #46

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: WARNING : Sailrite Machine (240v/international) version does not work with invert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've worked in Technical Support in the enterprise space for well over 20 years. A customer is in no way entitled to know why something is broken, how it was fixed, or why something isn't supported.

You're entitled to know what is supported. Anything else not explicitly defined as supported is officially NOT Supported. You may get an answer, but that doesn't mean you should or that you're entitled to it.

The world doesn't always work the way with think it does, or how it should. It is what it is.
Many companies decide to go above that which is minimally required. Many consumers prefer to do business with those companies.
Old 04-03-2024, 13:11   #47

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: WARNING : Sailrite Machine (240v/international) version does not work with invert

The motor itself seems to be a 90V DC motor. Can you power it with a transformer, bridge rectifier, and pedal from a typical sewing machine? You might lose the advanced control of the worker B controller, but I don't see why it wouldn't otherwise work just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-04 130606.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	287258  
Old 04-03-2024, 15:19   #48
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The motor itself seems to be a 90V DC motor. Can you power it with a transformer, bridge rectifier, and pedal from a typical sewing machine? You might lose the advanced control of the worker B controller, but I don't see why it wouldn't otherwise work just fine.
Sounds like a simple Arduino project.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 17:09   #49

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Speaking as a Certified Bernina Sewing machine technician, these days a "typical sewing machine pedal" would instantly go up in smoke. Most of them just have a very low power dissipation resistive element driving electronics to do the heavy work.

I don't however see any problem with your suggestion if you choose an old style foot pedal from an old electric, but NON ELECTRONIC sewing machine.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:09   #50

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirion View Post
I just received my new LSZ-1 and I did see the video and the "fine print" before ordering. So I went with the 110v version.

I tried using a stepdown transformer and that one acts just like on the video of the 100-230v version that is working, but does not quite sound right.

I'm gonna try a different stepdown transformer and see...

I was hoping to be able to use a stepdown transformer both in my house and on the boat inverter. Instead of using a dedicated 110v inverter.
I have now tried a toroidal type Step Down Transformer...

This one is silent and is less than half the weight.

It works fine from 230IT 50hz, 230TN 50hz and on my Victron Mulitiplus set to 230V 50hz. Oh, and that is a pure sine wave inverter. No difference in sound on the motor on any power source I tested. So it worked great at the AVShop where I got the transformer 230TN and at home and marina with 230IT and on the inverter onboard with no marina connection.

230IT only exists in Norway and Albania here in Europe.
230TN/400TN is the standard in the rest of Europe.

I did buy the 110V version instead of the 100-230V because of the inverter videos, and was hoping it would work with a stepdown transformer or I'd have to buy a 110v inverter for the Sailrite.

So now you know, the 110V is definitely the most versatile version.
Cirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 09:11   #51

Boat: Lagoon 42

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailrite.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	287732  
Cirion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, sail, sailrite, work