Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2024, 04:07   #1

need input on rigging to reefing from cockpit

I plan to single hand a Chrysler 22 and am looking to install a reefing system that allows me to reef and unreef the main sail from the cockpit, as the top of the cabin is difficult to stand on especially when it is rough. I could of course use blocks and pulleys to rig my own system that pulls on the front and rear reef points, but I would like to look at existing products and the reviews on them to see if others have made system that are better than what I can come up with. So I would appreciate any input anyone has on how I can more effectively rig my Chrysler 22 so that I can reef and unreef quickly and efficiently from the cockpit. Thank you for your expertise.
Chysler22Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 07:45   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: need input on rigging to reefing from cockpit

I am not sure of any out of the box systems. You will need to put something together. The typical system would go from the cockpit, to the the base of the mast, to the goosneck, through the reefing tack cringle on the sail, back to the goosneck, to the aft end of the boom, up to the clew reefing cringle, then back down to the boom.

Systems that work better also have blocks inside the boom for more purchase, so to have one that works well might require a new boom designed for it. The challenge is for everything to run and work as free as possible. I have been on many boats with single line reefing that didn't work, and required someone at the mast to help it along. Google "single line reefing" and there is lots of information.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:55   #3

Boat: Adams 45

I single hand a 45' boat with traditional slab reefing that requires working at the mast. It only takes a minute or two to reef and I prefer that to the increased friction of a single line system. It requires a trustworthy autopilot, but I find that essential for single handing anyway. You might want to try it as it is for a while and then decide.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 09:50   #4

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

This is what works well for us now.

We had our boat re-rigged and got new sails when we left Seattle to head to Mexico. We wanted to be able to reef from the cockpit, but had heard horror stories about single line reefing so we went with double line reefing. Both reef lines for each tack and the clew come back to the cockpit and are easily manageable by my wife or myself. You should note that our main is a crusing main with two very deep reefs. The first reef removes @ 30% of the area and the 2nd removes sail down to 40% of original area. Having only two reefs makes the line accumulation in the cockpit much more manageable. We also have a stack pack.

To reef we take the weight off of the main with the topping lift, raising it a bit. We drop the main halyard to a predetermined spot and then bring the tack reef down tight against the gooseneck. We then tension the halyard and after that, we pull the clew taught; so it comes down to the boom. Then we release the topping lift to tension the sail again.

Hope this helps.
Ron
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 10:49   #5

You usually have to devise your own system.
On a small boat like yours you MAY get away with single line reefing which is routed through the tack and the clew with one rope. I dont really like it myself but mostly because of the high friction. With a 22 foot boat it can work out.

I like pjShap's mentioned reefing (above) where you go to the mast. But on a small boat you can do it from the cockpit if you rig it right.
You will need to rig the main halyard so it comes aft to the cockpit also and have a winch there or at least a stopper.
Attached Images

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2024, 12:25   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I had single line reefing for a while but decided it was too much trouble, and line, to make it worth it. Taking care of it at the mast still wins out. But as Cheechako says with such a small boat it may work out for you.
If you are set on doing it though I think double line reefing, though it’s more stuff to deal with may work out better. With such a small boat I don’t think you need 3 reefs. And you may find that conditions that require a second reef may have you running for home.

Welcome aboard by the way!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, rigging