Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-04-2020, 17:29   #1
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
ITR Marine Heater Review and Installation

I have been researching Diesel fueled heaters to identify which one will be suitable for our steel boat so as to winter as liveaboards above Lat 49° N.

(Next year, we will travel from Philippines to Kodiak via Hokkaido, Aleutian Islands, clearing in at Dutch Hbr)

Deciding Issues for me on what system to retrofit are:

Ease of Installation: This steered me towards a Hydronic system running ¾” piping for Heating Fluid in Series though to 5 Zones, rather than Forced Air. I could not afford to lose all the storage space of fitting a forced air ducted system

Ease of Maintenance: I wanted a system that I can trouble shoot and maintain myself and to fit boiler inside my engine room where it is dry and spacious

Reliability: This is where I am dependent on the experience and advice of others

Energy Efficiency: Initially I was very much attracted to the quiet Passive system of Radiators. Then I found out that Radiators use a 3/4" copper fin and tube.

To compare 1 foot of Copper fin and tube is only 500 BTU whereas a small Cabin Heater fan provides 8700 BTU. So, I would need 17 feet equivalent tube to compare. Also, more plumbing is involved as you need to branch off to radiators and then come back in the main loop.
That means more challenges with Noise and Vibration

Comfortable Interior at -6°C?: The coldest month on record at Vancouver International Airport was January 1950 when an arctic air inflow moved in from the Fraser Valley and remained locked over the city, with an average low of −9.7 °C (15 °F) and an average high of only −2.9 °C (27 °F), making for a daily average of −6.3 °C (20.7 °F), 10 °C (18 °F) ...

So, does that mean I should size heater for the worst at -6C or take an
average of say 8°C from Nov to March?

If I oversize, the Heater may cycle on and off too many times, which could cause fuel nozzle problems and premature failures. If undersize, then slow to heat up and be comfortable after a day’s sail.

What would those living aboard in those conditions advise from their experience?

Calculating Cabin Heater Size:
One Manufacturer uses the formula of Cubic Feet of Zone x 0.80 adjustment for furniture,
Then Multiply by
x8 For small spaces like heads
x10 For sleeping spaces for all other
x12 For all other spaces generally below 48 North and Non Liveaboard
x15 For High Use Spaces and Liveaboard.
I asked the sales person which factor I should apply, his reply 15 is for a colder climate but that is fine you can be really safe with that. The heater will cycle off more. Usually between 40 to 60%.

So, for those liveaboards in cold climates like Vancouver would you advise using Factor 15 for ALL sizing Cabin Heaters?

Noise and Vibration Levels: I think it is important as a liveaboard to have a system you can live with instead of listening to a Truck Heater all evening…. Any thoughts and advice on that is really appreciated.

From my shortlist of Hydronic suppliers, this Canadian one ticked most of the boxes.

https://itrheat.com/products/marin-heating-systems/

I do remember reading negatives about them from one user on another CF Thread, but no details.
Appreciate reviews and advice from those who have used and installed them

Thanks for reading
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation, marine, heater