Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 23:14   #1

Boat: Columbia 10.7
Recommendations for a dehumidifier?

My boat is very wet. I bought it 2 years ago and it had been leaking for years. I'm just catching up to all the leaks. But I need a good dehumidifier to start sucking some of the water out of the interior. This will also cut down on the growth of mold throughout the boat.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good product that I can plug in at the pier and run 24/7 to start drying out the boat? It should have a way to discharge into the galley or head sink.

Some people recommend an inexpensive model that is designed for RVs.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:38   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Recommendations for a dehumidifier?

Literally any household full size dehumidifier works. I happen to have a General Electric one. All can be plumbed into a sink drain since all drip into a catchment bucket in the lower half of the unit.

Basically, they’re all the same. Grab one at Walmart or Best Buy and let her rip.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 05:51   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Chotu speaks with wisdom. We use a little one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-El...s%2C265&sr=8-7

for $45, with it sitting on a sink and with a drain from the cup into the sink. It's fine for when we are not on the boat - keeps a very large space free of mildew. Remember that when you are on the boat you are adding moisture every time you exhale.
Old 28-06-2020, 05:59   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

this is the smallest and lightest one I have found that can actually remove a substantial amount of water. also quiet and has an air purifier. Ivation 11 Pint Small Compressor Dehumidifier. check it out.
Old 28-06-2020, 08:59   #5

Boat: Outremer 51

I bought one of these https://www.mmair.com/marine-division/dehumidifier/ and it has worked very well for me. Seems very well built.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:31   #6

A suggestion: secure the dehumidifier from above (eg a line to an overhead grab handle) as a passing boat or such could cause your dehumidifier to fall. Happened to a friend and now I always tie mine up.
Vega1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:37   #7

I have had both. I would recommend the A/C unit that fits in a hatch with the water exiting on the side of the boat. A dehumidifier warms up the volume to dry it and the water exits inside the boat. The A/C unit has the exchanger in/out so it cools it down while dehumidifying and the water is left outside...
patrickbarbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Literally any household full size dehumidifier works. I happen to have a General Electric one. All can be plumbed into a sink drain since all drip into a catchment bucket in the lower half of the unit.

Basically, they’re all the same. Grab one at Walmart or Best Buy and let her rip.
This is Exactly what we did. Bought boat, tracked down major leaks first , bought GE dehumidifier at HD, attached optional drain hose to dehumidifier (Make sure you purchase one that has this option), run hose to galley sink, turn on and run whenever your not at boat. Absolutely amazing results. We had cabinets that were so swollen from moisture they would not open. A week or two later they wer like fine cabinetry again. One of if not Best $200 We spent to improve boat and all you have to do is plug it in and wait.

Short answer is This. https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-pt...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:44   #9

Boat: Beneteau 343

I just bought a replacement $170 GE house unit. Previous unit served me well for many years until it dropped to sole because of my mistake. I have a hose that drains continuously into galley sink and it takes 20 seconds to untie securing line, unplug, and set in shower area on a few towels when day sailing. I put it in the car whenever I overnight. Makes a huge positive difference.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 09:57   #10

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Chotu speaks with wisdom. We use a little one from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Breeze-El...s%2C265&sr=8-7

for $45, with it sitting on a sink and with a drain from the cup into the sink. It's fine for when we are not on the boat - keeps a very large space free of mildew. Remember that when you are on the boat you are adding moisture every time you exhale.
I've seen this model recommended several times. It's seems pretty small. Does it actually work? We had a dehumidifier in our basement for years and it made a lot of noise but I don't know if it did much good. This model would be the perfect size if it works?

My boat is 35 feet long with two cabins. I've sealed up most of the obvious leaks and the boat smells much better now.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 10:21   #11

Boat: Morgan Catalina 45

We can recommend this Black & Decker.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The unit has a fitting for a drain hose
We had same story as you but with one additional twist. No power in the dry storage yard when we pull the boat for hurricane season. With this unit we can power it with our solar and a timer for daily runs and of course an inverter. The unit will run with only application of power and no button pushing required.
We returned to a nice dry boat after 4 months on the hard.
We also run a small ozone generator a few hours a week.
Our boat is a 45' monohull with 7 opening hatches and 23 opening ports, lots of potential leaks.
Seriously Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:07   #12

Boat: Hughes Sparkmen Stevens 38'

i bought two of them on my 30' Erickson left them running for two wks came back both had no water in. i would say there junk
ventura 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:27   #13

Boat: Outremer 50S

We have a Perfect Aire 4PAD30, mostly because it was what was available in town when we needed one. Couldn’t be happier. When we’re living aboard the tank lasts a day most of the time, when we’re away it lives in the galley sink. Amazing how much water it makes.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 11:44   #14

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
My boat is very wet. I bought it 2 years ago and it had been leaking for years. I'm just catching up to all the leaks. But I need a good dehumidifier to start sucking some of the water out of the interior. This will also cut down on the growth of mold throughout the boat.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good product that I can plug in at the pier and run 24/7 to start drying out the boat? It should have a way to discharge into the galley or head sink.

Some people recommend an inexpensive model that is designed for RVs.
I use this one: Ivation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier

It is smaller, lighter, and quieter than a compressor type. Keeps humidity inside the boat around 40% in the winter, which otherwise would be around 80%. Also, unlike the compressor type, it does work well at low temperatures. The problem draining it through a sink is that the through-hull for the sink must be left open, which is a bad idea.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 12:35   #15
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

You want a compressor type unit. The smaller sizes do 30 pints a day. The number one feature to look for is one that will stay on after a power outage without being reset. Some do, some don't. For long term storage this is very important.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men