Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 16:05   #136

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akapeterc View Post
Anyone in Australia had any experience with coppercoat anti fouling
There are plenty over here - some have sailed from the UK etc, others have applied here, so the ages range from 20 plus years to 10 years or so (the time I understand Coppercoat has been available in Australia).

We bought Coppercoat about 8 years ago, I was involved in the application, and it was a simple process. From our experience here, we decided there was no decision to be made when we took the plunge and bought a new boat in the Med. Despite the hassle of getting a commissioning yard that was used to using standard antifoul as part of their commissioning (we nearly decided it was all too hard), we stuck with our decision, and after five seasons over there, the Coppercoat is like the first year - no degradation at all. I estimate we have already saved over $9000-$11,000 (or about half that if we did it ourselves, and the yard would allow that but then there would be days of our time cleaning, sanding and re-painting each year).

We either scrub in the water, or when we do haul, it just gets pressure washed, and that's it. The only hassle we have had is there is a small shallow groove down the centre line where the two halves of the mould must join, and the commissioning people did not bother sanding in there, so after five years there is a little flaking off from the shiny gelcoat that I have to touch up. There is no annual sanding of the Coppercoat required, as we understand is needed with others out there.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 18:37   #137

Boat: O'Day 34

I just launched my boat after applying coppercoat. I viewed several boats on the hard and talked to the owners. After 2-3 years there were less than a dozen barnacles on these 40-46 foot sloops that were moored in nutrient rich east central Fla waters. They said that the only maintenance done was to remove the slime with a scrubby.
This process is very labor intensive. All of the bottom paint has to be removed down to the barrier coat. The smoother the bottom, the better and easier the final result. Lots of work. Then apply their #426 ceramic barrier coat (2 coats). You need to roll it out very thin and smooth. Within 24 hrs, apply 4 coats of the coppercoat. It comes in 1 liter kits with a 4.4# bag of copper powder to mix before application.
Again, thin and smooth is the proper way to go. After the epoxy has set up, usually within 24 hrs, it must be lightly sanded with 320 grit paper to expose the copper. Any areas not sanded will not be anti-fouling.
The people that answer the help line on their website (coppercoat.com) are very helpful and understanding. I never had to wait for someone to answer the phone.
I'll keep the forum appraised of the ongoing results. There are currently 4 other sail boats in our marina in the process of applying coppercoat.
PS-My boat is a lot faster with this hard, smooth bottom.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 19:34   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

My boat is wood with copper sheeting covering the bottom. I still paint. Maybe if the copper was sanded bright every haulout it would do. No leaks or wood borers. Oakum and seam sealer stays in place.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 05:51   #139
nwn

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I have put coppercoat on my racing boat that is sitting in a Marina in Sound (Denmark). The boat is sitting in the sea year round. I haul it maybe 3 times a year and sand it lightly. With thinfilm and other traditional anti fouling there was always considerable growth. With copper coat there are no barnacles and only some slime. The problem for a cruiser is that you be able to sand it now and then in order to get the fresh copper to work. At least that is what I have been told.
I have a cruising boat in the Med and have considered to give it Coppercoat. It will be a lot of work and is costly and then there is the problem to sand it.
If I could find a decent Hookah system, so that I could dive below and sand the bottom now and then, I think the Coppercoat would be a solution.
nwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 07:24   #140
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwn View Post
...I could dive below and sand the bottom now and then, I think the Coppercoat would be a solution.
Probably illegal. It certainly is in the U.S.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 15:49   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwn View Post
I have put coppercoat on my racing boat that is sitting in a Marina in Sound (Denmark). The boat is sitting in the sea year round. I haul it maybe 3 times a year and sand it lightly. With thinfilm and other traditional anti fouling there was always considerable growth. With copper coat there are no barnacles and only some slime. The problem for a cruiser is that you be able to sand it now and then in order to get the fresh copper to work. At least that is what I have been told.
I have a cruising boat in the Med and have considered to give it Coppercoat. It will be a lot of work and is costly and then there is the problem to sand it.
If I could find a decent Hookah system, so that I could dive below and sand the bottom now and then, I think the Coppercoat would be a solution.
Don't sand! All you are doing is wearing out your Coppercoat. Ours was applied in 2012. In 2013 the yard wanted to sand the whole hull, because they said that was what was needed. I checked back to Coppercoat in the UK, and they said no, the Coppercoat resin exposes fresh copper as it ages. All you are doing is removing the copper oxides which are performing the antifouling function, and getting back to copper which then has to oxidise again.
So, we have now finished our 2016 season in the Med, and have never sanded the hull (other than the first time back in 2012 to scuff the resin off the top). Virtually no fouling - just a bit of slime which scrubs off, or pressure washes off if we are hauled out. Wherever we have been we have seen some amazing fouling too
In the Med we see a lot of hauling, and a lot of expense with people having their hulls scraped down and then more antifouling paint applied every year - we wonder why they don't wake up, and are so glad a friend put us onto Coppercoat - it has saved us a lot of time, and a lot of money (even though I think we were overcharged by the yard who applied it (the credit they gave us for their normal antifouling procedure was minimal).
Old 28-11-2016, 07:33   #142
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Don't sand! All you are doing is wearing out your Coppercoat.
Ummm... really?

Eventually, the surface may benefit from being lightly abraded with a fine grade of “wet and dry” paper or a burnishing pad to expose fresh copper.

Anti Fouling FAQ's | Coppercoat » Coppercoat
Old 28-11-2016, 16:12   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Ummm... really?

EVENTUALLY, the surface MAY benefit from being lightly abraded with a fine grade of “wet and dry” paper or a burnishing pad to expose fresh copper.

Anti Fouling FAQ's | Coppercoat » Coppercoat
Yes really! (and I can probably still find that e-mail from the UK back in 2013)

When we get to the 7-10 year mark, we MAY well need to give it a sand to freshen up the surface and start the process again (at this stage. I am expecting the original coating to last around 15 years). But sanding every year - no. Have never done it - really!
Roll your eyes all you like mate - won't change my experience
Old 29-11-2016, 06:45   #144

Boat: 44 footer

Quote:
Probably illegal. It certainly is in the U.S.
Curious... Every diver I've met has a white or blue scotchbrite scuff pad. White scotchbrite is around 1000 grit. Green is around 600 and Maroon is around 320 grit.

What makes scotchbrite legal, and a piece of sandpaper illegal when they remove the same amount of material?
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 07:12   #145
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
What makes scotchbrite legal, and a piece of sandpaper illegal when they remove the same amount of material?
Seriously? You're equating wiping a hull clean with a Scotchbrite pad to the intentional removal of an anti fouling coating with sandpaper?
Old 29-11-2016, 08:36   #146

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
Curious... Every diver I've met has a white or blue scotchbrite scuff pad. White scotchbrite is around 1000 grit. Green is around 600 and Maroon is around 320 grit.

There is no difference...320 would be 320 regardless. The reason divers have to resort to a 320 pad is the boat owner let the bottom go too long or the anti-fouling is no longer effective. I doubt there are any laws prohibiting abrasive pads on a boats hull. In retrospect, the amount of run off from storm drains into harbors and waterways are criminal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:41   #147

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Personally, I long for the days of red lead which I splashed on with abandon on my old seine boat... still alive to tell the tales over 50 years later.
I know fstbttms takes great umbrage at my historical rants but nevertheless I have a high regard for him and his brethren who make their living doing what they are doing. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:42   #148
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There is no difference...
Ever try sanding a piece of wood with a Scotchbrite pad? Believe me, there's a difference. A big one.
Old 29-11-2016, 08:43   #149
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Personally, I long for the days of red lead which I splashed on with abandon on my old seine boat... still alive to tell the tales over 50 years later. Cheers, Phil
Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't give a sh*t about the environment.
Old 29-11-2016, 09:03   #150

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Yes, you've made it abundantly clear that you don't give a sh*t about the environment.
+1.......had to be said.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote