Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2017, 18:49   #166

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Is Coppercoat anti foul worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Imo, any body that expects to ply the ocean with hull that is so toxic that nothing can survive on it doesn't deserve the privilege.
But it was ok to use it before you discovered Epoxy/Coppercoat...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 18:53   #167
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not only that but current legal, metal-laden anti fouling coatings are not "so toxic that nothing can survive" on them. And if lateral's experience is otherwise, that says much about why he has had apparent success with a kitchen-sink copper-loaded epoxy. Meaning that his boating is done where biofouling is really not much of an issue.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 19:16   #168

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss ....eh?
You obviously knew everything from birth.
Some of us mere mortals have to evolve.

You obviously use nothing and scrub the cr@p outa your hull.
Hats off to you.

Next round of AF will be the no impact version, non ablative, no biocide/copper
non leaching...but you do have to remove the growth albeit easily.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 19:19   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not only that but current legal, metal-laden anti fouling coatings are not "so toxic that nothing can survive" on them. And if lateral's experience is otherwise, that says much about why he has had apparent success with a kitchen-sink copper-loaded epoxy. Meaning that his boating is done where biofouling is really not much of an issue.
You didn't see the comment on the growth on my RIB?
Launched same time, beside my boat.

"Not only that but current legal, metal-laden anti fouling coatings are not "so toxic that nothing can survive" on them."

You added the "current legal metal laden "
I will re-phrase; People that expect an AF to give them a free ride in that they don't have to clean their hulls at all don't deserve the privilege etc. if it entails using a strongly marine toxic product.
I did not imply anywhere that copper salts/oxides were not toxic to marine life.
But I personally are not comfortable dropping acrylic binders and fillers + biocde +copper oxides into the ocean in bulk. ie ablatives.
For me the Cu/epoxy is a step forward.
Next will be no Cu, rather nano or whatever, that is just come on the market.
Grows stuff like crazy, but comes off easy az.
Old 03-01-2017, 19:32   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Ignorance is bliss ....eh?
You obviously knew everything from birth.
Some of us mere mortals have to evolve.

You obviously use nothing and scrub the cr@p outa your hull.
Hats off to you.

Next round of AF will be the no impact version, non ablative, no biocide/copper
non leaching...but you do have to remove the growth albeit easily.
Quote:
But my statement is still valid. It was ok for you to use Ablatives or hard or whatever until you discovered this home brew. So why is it that it does grow barnies? Is it because you wrote a message in the copper to stay away? Or maybe kills the larvae.
There's no need to know everything from birth when I can easily see a narcissist in action.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-01-2017, 19:40   #171

[QUOTE=Celestialsailor;
There's no need to know everything from birth when I can easily see a narcissist in action.[/QUOTE]

Obviously no mirrors on your boat, you just look in the ocean when theres no wind.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:26   #172

Quote:
But my statement is still valid. It was ok for you to use Ablatives or hard or whatever until you discovered this home brew. So why is it that it does grow barnies? Is it because you wrote a message in the copper to stay away? Or maybe kills the larvae.
There's no need to know everything from birth when I can easily see a narcissist in action.

Sad if an interesting topic degenerates into personal abuse. Personally I find all the contributions useful and valid.

Why do we need to use poisonous chemicals when fish and aquatic mammals do not? Is it just because they keep moving? Or is there something in the texture or surface of their skin which prevents growth either starting or sticking? Wouldn't it be good if we could have a surface on our hulls so slippery that no fouling could stay put once the hull is on the move? Is this the nano solution?

In my case the real problem is a couple of months in the hottest part of the year when my boat is sitting in a marina. Of course I expect growth to accumulate then, but would love to find a surface which would shed the growth once I got moving again. I don't need to kill anything if it can be prevented from hanging onto my hull. I do have a problem with crusty calcium deposits which are super-difficult to remove.
Malahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:15   #173

whales definitely have antifouling problems in case you havent noticed but they have all sorts of comensulist friends nibbling on them and breaches and flops to shock it off...Flexibility can help too
Seacod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:16   #174

"Is this the nano solution?"

https://www.aquamarinenz.co.nz/pages...se-vs-antifoul
Old 05-01-2017, 19:06   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malahi View Post
Sad if an interesting topic degenerates into personal abuse. Personally I find all the contributions useful and valid.

Why do we need to use poisonous chemicals when fish and aquatic mammals do not? Is it just because they keep moving? Or is there something in the texture or surface of their skin which prevents growth either starting or sticking? Wouldn't it be good if we could have a surface on our hulls so slippery that no fouling could stay put once the hull is on the move? Is this the nano solution?

In my case the real problem is a couple of months in the hottest part of the year when my boat is sitting in a marina. Of course I expect growth to accumulate then, but would love to find a surface which would shed the growth once I got moving again. I don't need to kill anything if it can be prevented from hanging onto my hull. I do have a problem with crusty calcium deposits which are super-difficult to remove.
Thank you for the voice of authority. You totally missed the point. The persons post in question stood on his soap box claiming that he has little to no fouling. Why would that be? Maybe because it is toxic to the barnacle larvae?
So then he ends his sermon on the mound with "Imo, any body that expects to ply the ocean with hull that is so toxic that nothing can survive on it doesn't deserve the privilege." Yet he is doing the same no and as before with bottom paint he used before his kitchen bottom paint.
I know with one month under your belt and 3 posts, must make you some kind of authority...fine. But I'll call BS when I see it.
Old 05-01-2017, 19:12   #176

Marine mammals do suffer from fouling but let's not forget skin dies sheds and is replaced. Shark skin is unique in its ability to resist fouling and they're researching it.

My concern with antifouling is actually more human centric. I am concerned about neurological problems caused by consuming water maker water made from water by thruhulls by antifouling.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 19:27   #177

I'm wondering if the R/O membrane filters that out? Good point though. I remember they were talking about platelets in a paint that would act like shark skin.
Old 06-01-2017, 14:52   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
We have it on a lead stub keel (8 years now). Not sure what two-pack epoxy primer was used by the yard, but the Coppercoat on the keel is as good as the rest of the hull - all perfect with no flaking at all. I know that some datasheets for primers do mention lead as an applicable substrate, so just check that is the case with whatever primer/undercoat you are looking at using.
We also used a two-part Proline (brand I recall, yellow in color...) primer for the lead keel It's been fine since application in early 2009.. OTOH, we were negligent in how we treated the bronze rudder stock -- we sanded it a bit and put the Coppercoat straight on--where it promptly came off after a couple years that is. So, on a haulout (2013) we used a two part primer (same Proline stuff I think) on the bronze bits like rudder and stern housing for the cutlass bearing since they'd lost their Coppercoat. All seems good now.

Application was 2009, touch up in 2010, Last haulout and touch up was 2013 and we planned to haul in 2016 but decided against it since everything was pretty good looking. Maybe 2017. We're wood and all the "touch up" are on the oak bit of the keelson between the lead keel and the mahogany planking. The old oak was just so soaked in various "stuff" we're not really sure that much of anything will stick to it for a long time. The new bits of oak (e.g. the worm shoe) OTOH, are just fine.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:07   #179

Boat: St Francis 50

Petit Trinidad Pro is a good hard coated epoxy with high copper content. Better abrasion resistance than ablatives for long distance voyagers.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 13:01   #180

Update:fwiw
Unfortunately my "kitchen variety coppercoat" has lost its efficacy in the second year for whatever reason.
I left it for 7 month over winter, unscrubbed, and have a colony of hard stuff (oysters) amidships. The rest is pretty good. Looks like where we got lazy at the end of one abraiding stint on application.

Heavier abraiding or Trinidad/something over, next month.
I would like to try a TPFE coating and still scrub, but growth has to be easy to remove.
Some of the current oysters are not.