Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2021, 07:59   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'
Re: Don't count on Defender for a bit...

Try finding marine plywood…. Defender for me has been ok, not great but ok.
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 08:14   #47

Boat: Beneteau

I'm inclined to buy local as much as possible for this reason. Some stuff I can't get local and will have to go abroad to get sadly. One of the local marine shops went out of business because people would ask to see or have him order a specific product. Once they were convinced it was the correct item or was of good quality they would order it online. We've become the victims of our own ways.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 08:22   #48

Boat: Passport 40

Defender’s customer service is a JOKE. I get that many businesses have stocking issues. But the customer service was APALLING. I was making a 6 boat unit purchase of a dinghy, and a fuel tank that should fit the bow locker of the AB. I needed to know the Moeller tank I purchased (also on Defender) fit the locker. Also, I needed to know what tank fitting part number I should buy for the moeller tank to work with my Yamaha outboard. This is standard stuff somebody should be able to answer … yet …

“ I do not know what you need for your Yamaha. It is not a Yamaha we sell or can sell, so we do not know what you may need or not need.

I work in the Technical Department and not Shipping / Logistics. But the warehouse personnel will not be unwrapping your boat to add a fuel tank in the bow locker. There would be a charge associated with that. We are shipping 1,000+ orders a day. Note: we have already sold 60 boats and motors in June alone, that is 30 boats a day average. Over 2,000 boats and motors this season.”

Dude, you don’t sell Yamaha, I’m not asking you for Yamaha parts, its a MOELLER PART!

At the same time, I got asked 3 different times from 3 different customer service people for the shipping information. Their CMS sucks, badly. If there is a case for a company like SalesForce, Defender is it! Add to this they quoted me three different prices for the truck freight price to Florida: 600, 500, and 310. In a window of two days. These were from the same three different customer service people asking for address of other info I had already given someone else. I of course fought like a tiger to get the 310 quote. Defender REALLY needs to get their game together.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 15:47   #49

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
Try finding marine plywood…. Defender for me has been ok, not great but ok.

Did you try LBI? I haven't checked lately but they usually have stock.

https://www.lbifiberglass.com/produc...arine-plywood/
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 06:42   #50

Welcome to "just in time inventory" Overseas shipping is just as bad as the shortages seen here in US inventory. Ships sitting outside poort - or at the dock - unable to load or offload due to Covid - depends on the Port and Country and Shipper
- It will be a mess for another year likely/
IceOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:03   #51

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
They are clearly in over their heads with servicing latent demand, or something...

I spent a few boat bucks over a week ago on an assortment of items - heard nothing for several days, then was told my stuff would be ship "today, tomorrow at the latest", and now, 3 days after that (and well over a week since the order was placed) I'm told many of my items are backordered til the end of June. Everything I ordered had ample supply listed online at the time I ordered. Feels like so long ago, ha!

I should have known something was up a few weeks ago when I ordered an eye-spliced 3-strand dock line and it showed up looking like a cub scout had done the splice.

Lifelong customer who has never had anything to complain about with them, but wow, this year, I'd find somewhere else. Something ain't right over there.
From last March on, I've seen a rapid decline in customer service, shipping, poor inventory control, and increased backlogs.. Accept it for what it is.. all brought about by a virus.. Eventually, we will see normalcy again.. eventually ..LOL
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:10   #52

Boat: I have just purchased a 2009 49 Beneteau named Paradise II
Send a message via AIM to Big Moe Send a message via Yahoo to Big Moe

Good Morning

I am surprised but understand Defenders issues. It’s a world wide product shortage issue. I have dealt with Defender for years. They are an excellent company. Labor and material shortages have stopped most services in their tracks.
Big Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:47   #53
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I second the supply chain issues. We have been known for getting shipments out early, jobs done early and always have plenty of parts. This year has been very rough for us as well. It's the first time in twenty years I am starting to dread answering the phone because No matter how much I want to please our customers if I can't get parts from suppliers I'm stuck. This supply chain issue is a real thing. I don't see it as the COVID virus itself being the issue as much as many taking advantage of this COVID for their own gain. Prices have gone through the roof. Ex. SS parts I sold for $23 last year are now $65. These prices, much like taxes, once we are out of the woods and supplies flow freely again, I'm willing to bet that the prices aren't going to go down to reflect the back to normalcy. Nice play if you're a supplier.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:16   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60

Lame post...Defender is suffering from the supply issues everyone else is. Blame the sheeple and tyrannical governments of the world for our issues that actually caused them.

Thanks Defender, you rock :-)
sv Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 15:23   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35

Many online and retail stores avoid carrying large inventories due to the immense cost of stocking items. Ahoy Captain, Defender, Fisheries, and Landfall Navigation are small companies that frequently rely on drop shipments. This means your equipment is shipped directly from the manufacturer (or distributor) to you.

If the manufacturer doesn’t stock enough parts to build their equipment when demand increases, then a back order can occur. In most situations, not all, the issue should resolve itself rather quickly. If not, the manufacturer might have an internal issue.

Most of the parts we use to build parachute anchors and storm drogues are US made. We’ve had no issues with supply…only the dramatic increase in prices. Parts ordered outside the US use to take an average of three months. The time frame is now six months. It’s common to see 40 containers ships anchored outside of LA harbor. We can view the ships from our manufacturing facility in Newport Beach, CA.

As many of you already mentioned. Order early. Our company will be raising prices this winter. First time since approximately 2006.
Fi2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:23   #56

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Really...let's not pick on Defender. I ordered 100 bronze screws from Jamestown Distributors and it took almost 6 months for them to get them back in stock. They kept asking me if I wanted to keep the order open.

Where else would I get bronze screws?
Boltdepot.com. Bronze, 304, 316, galvanized, whatever you want.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:23   #57

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

Geez, you mean the idea of paying someone over $60k to stay home is having an impact on the labor shortage?

Who would have thought!

Clearly not the guys spending the money.

Suggestion, get a price from Defender and then go to West Marine and if they have the same thing get WM to price match. My WM does that.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 16:59   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailtheWind View Post
WM probably mispriced that item, that is why it was cheaper
lol...maybe there's an upside to unskilled labor?
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 18:11   #59

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
+1

I do think that that is a large part of the shortage of employees problem.

Al, S/V Finlandia
I have to laugh everytime someone says this. I assume you are not aware those state and federal payments stopped in July of LAST year for most recipients. According to my physicians (heart/lung/and general) i could not survive exposure to covid 19, and yet all three refused to extend medical documentation beyond July 30, 2020. One even said NOBODY regardless of medical conditions could be excused beyond that date. All payments stopped at that date. My wife has similar issues with her lungs but received much smaller weekly payments, which have been in *review* several months. She still receives her weekly payments, but 100% is allocated to repay payments to the state that she received during 2020 ??
My gut feeling, check out those *help wanted* ads/signs..very close. Some even offer $500 sign on bonuses. Of course every one i have investigated results in part time only, 2-3 days max per week, no benefits, etc. I have yet to find a single one that the person conducting the interview doesn't use the term "seasonal". Although one did suggest that a permanent 'full time' position *might* become available in January 2022...
Unless you live next to the place, the paycheck wouldn't cover the gas required to get to work. This is why you can't find *workers*
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 02:49   #60

Boat: J/42

Ask to speak to the Defender rigging shop directly for custom splices, etc; Even though the website says rigging is delayed up to four weeks, rigger told me I'd have my custom outhaul done in a week. NEVER use your real card # online or phone--Use a virtual CC # (most CC companies offer this now) - cyber theft is at an all time peak as its become so easy a fifth grader can do it.
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender