Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 12:49   #31

Boat: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Re: Don't count on Defender for a bit...

Unfortunately it isn't just Defender. I recently received this email from a company whose mailing list I'm on:

Hello AhoyCaptain Customers,

We hope this finds you well as we operate in the heart of our busy season.

As you are probably aware, there has been a steady increase in the number of goods and services that have seen substantial and unprecedented shortages over the past months. Massive instability in the supply chain, reduced production capabilities, increased freight costs - all of these elements, coupled with surging demand as the COVID-19 recovery continues in the global marketplace, have resulted in significant shortages from our suppliers. Unfortunately, AhoyCaptain is not immune to these shortages.

All of our trading partners are doing their very best to maintain the continuity of supply in difficult circumstances. The "knock-on” effect has meant that every link in the process, from basic raw materials, product assembly and delivery to the end retailer are now feeling the impact of this situation.

AhoyCaptain will continue to minimize price increases wherever possible and work hard to reduce lead times and backorders. Please feel free to reach out to us at any time by phone or email if you need specific information and updates about your order.

Our focus remains on delivering value to and serving our many valued customers around the world.

Thank you for your continued patience, understanding and support.

Best regards,

Vincent & Patricia Salese

Owners

AhoyCaptain

I realize this doesn't excuse being told that something is in inventory when in fact it isn't, so not sure what to attribute that to...
Blaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 13:17   #32

Boat: Seidelman S-37

Needed a part for my Torqueedo went to the local West Marine and was told that the only one available was in a store in Hawaii and I am in the Chesapeake Went outside and ordered it from Defender from my phone It was on my doorstep in 3 days.....never a hiccup Thanks Defender!
frankv1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 16:28   #33

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker9645 View Post
Employers can't find employees because the state and federal governments are paying people more to stay home.
+1
I do think that that is a large part of the shortage of employees problem.
Another problem may not be the vendor, but the shipping companies. Long story, but I ordered an item from Austin Texas last week. FedEx said they would be here Monday and it finally got here today!

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-06-2021, 19:26   #34

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpbarkley View Post
Also remember that Defender was recently hacked. That's got to be slowing things down.
I can concur with this.. I ordered a marine head from Defender a day or two after a great discussion with one of our members (whom I will not name because this was definitely NOT her fault and I don't want any possibility that anyone will attempt to shift blame her way), and my card was hacked. I finally got a total, nearly $2,400 USD in unauthorized charges for Amazon and Walmart.com items, plus a subscription for Netflix was added to my card. The cops, should they act on it, will easily be able to catch this one, fortunately. The bank was not terribly worried, in any case. Maybe they have insurance for this sort of thing, but it sure spun my screws...

The only place I used that card in over a year, and suddenly it got more traffic daily than the local Dollar General. Bank says they will return it all, changed out my cards, etc., but I won't be shopping Defender for a while, at least until I learn they have resolved their security issues.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:15   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Really...let's not pick on Defender. I ordered 100 bronze screws from Jamestown Distributors and it took almost 6 months for them to get them back in stock. They kept asking me if I wanted to keep the order open.

Where else would I get bronze screws?
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:38   #36

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I haven't shopped at AhoyCaptain, but their letter to customers (above) was well written.

We're in a time of unprecedented disruptions in our global supply chains, combined with all the other factors (plus hacking!) mentioned in their letter. Then there's the uncertainty about how bad this sudden bout of inflation is going to be, and the effects of that on the markets and everyone's economic outlook...

Yeah, I'm willing to cut vendors a bit more slack right now. I expect there will be winners and losers, as always happens during times of change. Which side Defender ends up on, I can't predict. I'd certainly go back there if and when it's in my best interests to do so.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Really...let's not pick on Defender. I ordered 100 bronze screws from Jamestown Distributors and it took almost 6 months for them to get them back in stock. They kept asking me if I wanted to keep the order open.

Where else would I get bronze screws?
Yup! I wanted a couple of spare toothed belts for my CPT autopilot. I have bought from Biedlers Belts before with not issue. I get an email from Phil Biedler, the factory says 5 MONTH backorder, do I want to cancel? No, I have no immediate need, they are spares. But these are pretty common belts.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:55   #38

Last November I won a fraud case against Defender Industries for knowingly sending me damaged and leaking cans of bottom paint. Customer Service acted despicably.
My next order was one large box with all items packed loose including thru hulls and sea cocks and water maker filters. The 5 micron filters were trashed. I didn't even bother complaining.
I was a Defender customer since the 1980's.
Sharki127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:51   #39

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

This issue is everywhere with almost everything.
We’d ordered ceramic tile and everything was great until a week before scheduled installation then bam not here.
A guess is that for somethings it’s critical people who decided to retire
Old 12-06-2021, 10:00   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

My last couple of Defender order that past couple of months all went fine far as stock and delivery.

The local West Marine stores here in Jacksonville Fl have probably 3 times the stock last summer, so they are recovering. BTW I am always OK getting something at WM. If I didn't need a local stocking store I would just be sitting around for days waiting to finish a project and I hate that. But I have finally learned to go on line and check the WM store inventory before I borrow a car etc. and go there.
Old 12-06-2021, 12:44   #41

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

And then there's UPS...
Ordered a half dozen items, shipped in two shipments on the same day. The first one arrived, no problem, two days after the order. The next day I got an email from Defender. UPS had informed them that the second package was "damaged and discarded."

A month ago, I had purchased a portable A/C through Amazon. The shipment left Connecticut, went to three different UPS facilities in NC (I'm on the hard in Beaufort), then to Kentucky, then to West Virginia, and finally arrived 9 days after ordering. You should see what was left of the box, it had at least 50 feet of shipping tape holding the thing together, and the window insert for the hoses, the remote and the manual all missing.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 17:27   #42

If you want to be very happy in the boating world and probably more... lower your expectations !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 17:47   #43
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharki127 View Post
Last November I won a fraud case against Defender Industries for knowingly sending me damaged and leaking cans of bottom paint. Customer Service acted despicably.

they sent me a badly dented can of varnish. the shipping box was not damaged or dented. I email them with a picture and tell them they shipped a dented can. all they had to do was send a replacement. but no they give me a lecture as to why they would never ship damaged products. right. tell the paying customer that he is wrong. great way to run a business
Old 13-06-2021, 05:53   #44

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
The only place I used that card in over a year, and suddenly it got more traffic daily than the local Dollar General. Bank says they will return it all, changed out my cards, etc., but I won't be shopping Defender for a while, at least until I learn they have resolved their security issues.

Some credit card will allow the use of a one time code for when making purchases. You go on line to the bank, ask for a one time code, (actually a credit card number) that is good for one use only to your regular account. Then make your purchase. If the number is used again, it shows up as not a valid card. Another option is to pay through Paypal, or a similar service. I do that a lot when internet surfing for a specific item from a company I haven't dealt with before. Just random thoughts, now back to our regularly scheduled programing!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 06:49   #45

Boat: C&C 34

Defender is OK, and their customer service has gone down hill over the past few years for sure.

It appears to be employee specific as several of them have an attitude like they are doing you a favor, guess they forget about the $$$ you are about to give them. I have been there enough to know who the esteemed individuals are and work around them. On the other hand other employees are great and extremely helpful.

Still a management problem as they should be taking care of it.

If possible I avoid Defender even if paying more is necessary.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fender