Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 17:15   #16

Boat: DUFOUR 385 GL
Re: Dickinson solid fuel stove or propane

Thanks a lot for your info!!! it´s incredible the different opinions you can get, but for sure your experience will help me to decide what to install.

I do also use a dehumidifier but Im also looking for something that will help when Im out sailing or anchor.
Cachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 21:27   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: We've been using a Fab-All diesel pot burner heater for quite a few years now. It is very similar to the Dickinson heaters, made originally in the same town in Canada, allegedly by folks who had once been employed by Dickinson.

We have NEVER had sooting problems. Never. I don't know what the difference might be, but the complaints about the D heaters keep popping up here on CF, so I reckon there is some validity to the claims.

The only issues we've had have been associated with strong wind gusts causing back flow in the stack with blow-out issues... rarely. We have now cured that issue with a home brew addition to the Charley Noble, and find the heater to be reliable and useful. Using fuel from the ship's main tank is surely more convenient than adding a LPG source, and it does not add a significant safety risk as an LPG heater will. (that risk is manageable, but does exist).

That 30 year old heater is running as I type. It is up to 10 deg C outside now, from a low of around 7. The heater is set on its lowest setting and has the interior stable at 20 C in our uninsulated 46 foot yacht (hull is 25 mm cedar with thin glass inside and out). Water temp is around 12 d C at the surface. Hardly artic conditions, but uncomfortable for folks who are really tropos at heart!

Jim
Old 12-11-2021, 22:30   #18

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

The Dickinson propane is very good for dry heat. I liked it better than forced air diesel or a drip diesel. It is great for quick dry heat, the downside is it uses allot of gas if you need to use it day and night for the whole winter….I had a pair of 30kg tanks for winter. One great thing about it is it uses next to no electricity if not on the dock.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 23:11   #19

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW: Fab-All diesel...
Thanks- that is interesting. There is some current incarnation of the Fab-all gear being sold now as Sig Marine (I think.)
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 04:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Thanks- that is interesting. There is some current incarnation of the Fab-all gear being sold now as Sig Marine (I think.)
I had a Sig Marine. More or less identical to the Dickenson. I lived aboard in San Francisco Bay which is fairly breezy. I had trouble with back-puffing. I tried many modifications including extending the stove pipe and a couple different Charlie Nobles. I also added a fan per Sig Marine recommendation. Back puffing would still occasionally occur. I would not be comfortable leaving the heater on when I left the boat, and rarely left it on at night. BTW- back puffing can be fairly serious. If the flame extinguished (which I had happen a couple times), diesel continues to enter the super heated chamber where it is vaporized and is extremely flammable, not to mention messy as it will coat surfaces.

A friend had a small Dickenson propane bulkhead heater with a small vent pipe. Worked nicely. Refilling propane would rule it out for a lifeaboard for me though. These days I'd go the truck heater route (cheap Espar knockoff)

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 04:45   #21

When only a minor amount of heat is needed the use of an Aladan mantle lamp which can produce 5000 BTU with mineral spirits instead of kerosene .

A hatch or port should be slightly open to regain oxygen in the boat.

The better wood fire places are made with soap stone , heavy , but they will radiate heat long after the fire is out.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 05:40   #22

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
propane is terrible for the environment. It comes from fossil fuels and should be illegal for you to use on your boat when you don't really need the heat anyway. You could just wear long underwear as far as I am concerned. The same goes for diesel.

I have heat on my boat many years making heater from scraps cost is none and fuel free.
I don’t really disagree with you. It’s just the lesser of two evils. What we see as soot and even the stuff we don’t see is particulate air pollution. And that’s very nasty stuff. That comes from the diesel. It doesn’t come from propane.

It’s a tough call however, because the best heater is using fallen deadwood from an environmental standpoint. However, it still releases ridiculous amount of particulate air pollution.

Particulate air pollution is a huge killer of people on the planet. It’s bad for us. It’s bad for animals. It’s bad for anyone that breathes air. So, there’s really no way out of it. Other than that propane is much cleaner in the air. It still is a better choice than Diesel. Environmentally. It’s possibly a better choice than fallen deadwood if you count all of the death and destruction that comes from particulate air pollution created by Diesel. And by burning wood.

It’s really not environmentally sound to heat anything. Unless you are using geothermal. Or solar. Other than that, getting yourself down to warmer temperatures by sailing alone is the only other good thing for the environment.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 07:39   #23

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Our trawler came with a solid fuel Dickinson. It was nice having the smell of oak burning in the fireplace on cold nights, but the advantages stopped there. It was very smokey, required feeding about every 15 minutes and was not very warm. We switched to diesel and have been very happy. Plug and play and puts out about twice the heat. No more scrounging for wood and cutting it up on the back deck. Can't comment on propane but I have had 3 Dickinson diesel heaters over the years and they have been great.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 08:18   #24

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachimba View Post
thanks a lot! yeah I don´t mind refilling every our, I don´t use the electric heater when I go to sleep anyway, don´t like to leave it on.
You 'don't mind refilling every '[h]our'.... yet.

Here's a thread I started about 9 mos ago on boat heaters you might find useful:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...hy-248573.html

I did not buy the boat mentioned (but not because of the heater) and purchased something else. That boat does not have a heater but I just ordered a Newport and will be putting it in over the winter.

I opted for propane because it was the easiest/cleanest. Solid fuel is too 'putzy' IMHO - cutting wood, storing fuel, removal, storing and disposal of spent fuel, dirty, and a bigger fire hazard (if the spent fuel still has embers). My 'research' on diesel showed it was also somewhat dirty and smelly.
Old 13-11-2021, 09:10   #25

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

One of the good things about the Newport is it draws air from the though deck fitting so it does use air from in the boat…..some others use inside air so you have to manage air flow.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 09:40   #26

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Before installing a solid fuel heater, check with the marina that you might be spending time at. Some marinas are banning the use of any heater that produces smoke or ash particles which can end up on other boats.
Old 13-11-2021, 10:00   #27

You may find that in some countries that they only have butane. Spain is one that comes to mind. Not sure what the difference it would make to your heater, but worth checking out.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 10:07   #28

Boat: L.F.H S chooner 49'11" lod 64 loa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW: We've been using a Fab-All diesel pot burner heater for quite a few years now. It is very similar to the Dickinson heaters, made originally in the same town in Canada, allegedly by folks who had once been employed by Dickinson.

We have NEVER had sooting problems. Never. I don't know what the difference might be, but the complaints about the D heaters keep popping up here on CF, so I reckon there is some validity to the claims.

The only issues we've had have been associated with strong wind gusts causing back flow in the stack with blow-out issues... rarely. We have now cured that issue with a home brew addition to the Charley Noble, and find the heater to be reliable and useful. Using fuel from the ship's main tank is surely more convenient than adding a LPG source, and it does not add a significant safety risk as an LPG heater will. (that risk is manageable, but does exist).

That 30 year old heater is running as I type. It is up to 10 deg C outside now, from a low of around 7. The heater is set on its lowest setting and has the interior stable at 20 C in our uninsulated 46 foot yacht (hull is 25 mm cedar with thin glass inside and out). Water temp is around 12 d C at the surface. Hardly artic conditions, but uncomfortable for folks who are really tropos at heart!

Jim
Hi Agree on all points. I have a Dickinson galley range. No soot,The fire box/burner is a light tan color. . It ran 24/7 all this past NZ winter on the lowest setting. The soot problem is a result of an improper fuel/air ratio. .
Propane ? no thank you Cheers Len
Len hornick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 10:15   #29

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

The Dickenson Newport propane heater is a great unit. It is well built and attractive. The double walled stack is a clever design and the glass port in the front adds to the "feeling" of warmth. Propane is clean and efficient with no soot. Anyone who has used a solid fuel or open flame diesel heater knows that soot on the deck and sails can be a real problem. If you already have propane installed on your boat, I'd say this choice is a no brainer.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 11:26   #30

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I had both the diesel and the propane Dickinson.

The propane was much better.

You still have a wonderful ambiance. They even degrade part of the flame to make it burn yellow.

The bid difference is soot. The diesel is a dirty, nasty thing, while the propane stays completely clean and requires absolutely no maintenance. Assuming you can get propane, it’s the best way to go.

Also significantly better for the environment.
Chotu is correct with regards to maintainance with propane.
They are cleanest, and warmup is quicker.
As far as efficient in Cost to run they are not nearly as efficient.
9000 btu I believe is the high setting for the propane stove.

16250 btu for the diesel stove on high.
6500 btu low setting, (1.25 gallons fuel use per 24 hrs.)

Ive had my stove for 6 yrs now and other than an occasional cleaning, yes, they do require that, and it's some old rag and water.
Not really that hard, IMHO, for the output.
Some complain about blow outs, NEVER happened to me yet.
A good Charlie Noble cures that.

Diesel stoves seem to be quieter too, you don't need the fan on to distribute the heat.
I do use a low current computer fan to blow the heat off the heater exaust pipe, cause it works well and is quiet.
If you run a diesel auxiliary then a single fuel use is awesome, for heat.
I
I like Propane heat, use it on My Bus, on land, and have a Wood Stove on it.
I don't feel I have the room for more Propane stowage or wood on the Boat.

I don't think you'll be warm enough with solid fuel Dickensons, small heat box, you can't get bigger pieces in it, but warms up fast too.
Others may have their own reasonings for using them.

Solid fuel seems less clean than diesel, but The ambience is great, all 3 stoves have great ambience.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dickinson, fuel, propane, stove