Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 05:51   #1

Opinion on Nanni Engines??

I/the old owner is replacing my Perkins engine due to a thrown rod during the sea trial. What are your opinions on Nannie engines? pros/cons and any experience?
laurenalanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:02   #2
cruiser

Re: Opinion on Nanni Engines??

Ive been reading that theyre pretty good.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:09   #3

Boat: Tartan 37

They are based on Kubota Diesel engine and use Twin Disc transmissions like the Beta engine.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:34   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Whoa, guys, we've go two threads on the same topic.

Laurenalanders, welcome to the forum, but do be careful that you don't duplicate your posting.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:44   #5

Apparently good engines, but the big problem is on the back end - hard to get parts and/or service anywhere but... UK is it?

Someone who has more specifics please chime in. This is just some scuttlebutt I've heard - or may have read on this Forum.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

May no longer apply as I read this several years ago but at that time there were some complaints about the quality of the marine parts Nanni used on the Kubota block. If I recall the heat exchangers, exhaust and such were not up to the same quality as Beta Marine's version of the Kubota.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Apparently good engines, but the big problem is on the back end - hard to get parts and/or service anywhere but... UK is it?

Someone who has more specifics please chime in. This is just some scuttlebutt I've heard - or may have read on this Forum.

LittleWing77
EDIT: I was wrong. Nannis are Kubota blocks, parts for which are available worldwide, according to Wottie-who-is-King
(Please see thread below):

Engine Rebuild Kits
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-249313.html

That said, please read SkipMac's Post #4 above that: "heat exchangers, exhaust and such were not up to the same quality as Beta Marine's version".

Those items may or may not have been sorted out, so it sounds as if a bit more research may be required...

Good luck,
LittleWing77
(As you know, I already recommended that if repowering, you go with a Beta.)
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:48   #8

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Kubota Deisels are one of the best most reliable engines in the world... will probably enhance the boat's value... Parts for the marinized portions should be the only concern...
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
EDIT: I was wrong. Nannis are Kubota blocks, parts for which are available worldwide, according to Wottie-who-is-King
(Please see thread below):

Engine Rebuild Kits
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-249313.html

That said, please read SkipMac's Post #4 above that: "heat exchangers, exhaust and such were not up to the same quality as Beta Marine's version".

Those items may or may not have been sorted out, so it sounds as if a bit more research may be required...

Good luck,
LittleWing77
(As you know, I already recommended that if repowering, you go with a Beta.)
Yes the Kubota parts are easily available just about anywhere. It's the marinization parts that could be a problem for availability. Also, not sure of Nanni's policy on giving you details on which block they use. I know Beta will share that so you can buy the injectors, injector pump, starter and such from Kubota direct.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:59   #10

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I recently installed a new Nanni diesel in my Irwin Citation 34 and am very pleased. Due to the Kabota base,, this engine is an equal to Beta but at a much better price.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:03   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

No experience with Nanni but I do have an eighteen year old Beta Marine 50. The only work I have had to do on the marinization parts were:

1) To rebuild the water pump">raw water pump after about ten years.

2) Replaced the copper raw water pipes with rubber hose. The copper, being in close proximity to an aluminum water cooler on the transmission (Hurth/ZF marine transmission) caused the aluminum to deteriorate to the point that it had to be replaced.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:05   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
I recently installed a new Nanni diesel in my Irwin Citation 34 and am very pleased. Due to the Kabota base,, this engine is an equal to Beta but at a much better price.
Good to hear. The only complaint I hear about Betas is they are very expensive.

So how long have you had the Nanni or how many hours on it? Any problems or complaints? What do you think about the external parts like the heat exchangers, exhaust elbows and such?
Old 11-10-2021, 10:09   #13

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I had a Nanni. It is a Kubota marinized in France. The engine itself is not the problem. Getting parts is, at least here in the USA. I tried to get a starter motor. I couldn't get the Kubota number. Of course everything is painted over in Nanni blue and the only Kubota number I knew is the engine block number. Kubota installed many different auxiliary equipment on that block. I took a best guess and paid $140 for a starter, which was the wrong part.. 20% restock fee. Nanni wanted over $800!!! for a starter, shipped from France. I found a guy to rebuild my old one and did not carry a spare.

There may be Nanni distributors in the USA that could help you with parts, but I would just stay away and buy Beta marine. I have heard horror stories about the Volvo electronics and I think Yanmar is now similar in that a computer control is required to run the engine with no work around when the computer fails. Beta, I believe, is still a mechanical system.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:15   #14

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Kubota Deisels are one of the best most reliable engines in the world... will probably enhance the boat's value... Parts for the marinized portions should be the only concern...
Nope, Kubota dealer is not interested in helping figure out what parts you need if you can't give them part numbers. You will only know the block number, which doesn't tell you much since the block is used in many application with many different part packages including different heads, pistons, injector pumps, starter motors, etc... Any Kubota parts that bolt on will still need to be sourced from Nanni at about 5 to 8 times the going price.

Perhaps if you buy an engine new from Nanni, they will help you get Kubota part numbers??? ASK FIRST!! But since the PO of my boat did the install, they were of almost no help.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 11:51   #15

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Nope, Kubota dealer is not interested in helping figure out what parts you need if you can't give them part numbers. You will only know the block number, which doesn't tell you much since the block is used in many application with many different part packages including different heads, pistons, injector pumps, starter motors, etc... Any Kubota parts that bolt on will still need to be sourced from Nanni at about 5 to 8 times the going price.

Perhaps if you buy an engine new from Nanni, they will help you get Kubota part numbers??? ASK FIRST!! But since the PO of my boat did the install, they were of almost no help.
Sounds like Nanni learned their business practices from Westerbeke.

You should be able to match the base engine by the displacement. Beta does not hide anything. My engine is a BV2203 the base engine is a V2203. When I bought the engine they even referred me to the Kubota workshop manual.
stormalong is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine