Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2015, 14:34   #181

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
What we do know is that he has an EPIRB, because he has used it twice, and that he does not want to abandon his vessel.

In the absence of further information we can only speculate as to where he is and why.

The reported condition of the vessel and lack of stores for an extended voyage suggests the possibility of financial stringency (relevant because clearing out costs money as does Australian registering the vessel, we do not have a low cost pleasure vessel system as do the Brits)

The old gentleman may be wishing to avoid attention and might be holed up somewhere waiting until things calm down a bit.

The authorities may or may not have information on his whereabouts and may not be willing to provide it to third parties (They are often fairly useless and now have privacy laws to hide behind)

About all we can do is keep an eye out for him, offer assistance if someone comes across him, hope that some of the possible benign reasons for his ongoing absence apply and that sooner or later he will turn up and be OK.
AMSA, do not know where he is. There not hiding anything.
I find our Australian rescue services are exceptional and have been responsible for many lives saved.

And I seriously doubt he will be holding up somewhere. If he is then he will certainly attract severe criticism. He's got both state and federal authorities looking out for him (because he's listed as missing) and family in Australia and Fiji eagerly waiting for news of him. He knows this.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 14:35   #182

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Cadence, what exactly is 'sickening'?

NO ONE has suggested he's 'too old'! There's been a little light hearted joking about him having a girl friend but that's about it.

Other than that I've commented that he should have let someone know when he was leaving, which is a pretty basic request of any authorities. Nothing to do with age at all.

What is so 'sickening' that you keep referring to?
I believe you made the original post. I just can't see some picking something apart or it being light hearted humor with the man's life in the balance. I think you may have misread my intent. It in no way was pointed at you.

Go back and read some of the posts. Some of it is not light hearted they pick him apart. Maybe I'm wrong? And keep referring to sickening?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 14:45   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I believe you made the original post. I just can't see some picking something apart or it being light hearted humor with the man's life in the balance. I think you may have misread my intent. It in no way was pointed at you.

Go back and read some of the posts. Some of it is not light hearted they pick him apart. Maybe I'm wrong? And keep referring to sickening?
Old 20-09-2015, 06:20   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Nothing Yet???

Daang...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 15:45   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Nothing Yet???

Daang...
No, nothing heard yet. I'll report on here as soon as I hear anything and I think I will hear as soon as something is to be heard.

He must be one incredible gent. Rather I hope it's his resiliance rather than he's in serious trouble. But if he's ok out there he's an incredible chap.
Old 20-09-2015, 16:50   #186

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Urgent Assistance To Find Missing Australian Yacht

Has anyone contacted his daughter via Facebook?

Edit. I contacted her and her latest corresponds with the info here.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 20-09-2015, 17:05   #187

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
No, nothing heard yet. I'll report on here as soon as I hear anything and I think I will hear as soon as something is to be heard.

He must be one incredible gent. Rather I hope it's his resiliance rather than he's in serious trouble. But if he's ok out there he's an incredible chap.
Total agreement on incredible chap. Since he hadn't used the sat phone, I wonder if he knows how to use it? I don't have a clue, I would push all the wrong buttons, so maybe just giving it to him was not the ticket.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:06   #188

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
AMSA, do not know where he is. There not hiding anything.
I find our Australian rescue services are exceptional and have been responsible for many lives saved.

And I seriously doubt he will be holding up somewhere. If he is then he will certainly attract severe criticism. He's got both state and federal authorities looking out for him (because he's listed as missing) and family in Australia and Fiji eagerly waiting for news of him. He knows this.
I have neve4r had any problems with AMSA and have found them to be helpful and efficient in the dealings I have had with them. That being said they are a government bureaucracy and a lot of these in Australia have serious problems with provider capture.

The old guy is pre baby boomer and many of them were not let-it-all-hang-out sorts of people. In that old Australia it was a shameful thing not to be capable of looking after yourself.

He may not want his family, or anyone else, fussing after him. I spend a fair bit of time at sea in remote places and my family never knows from one day to the next where I am.

In the circumstances (lots of busybody fusspots waiting to descend on him in Australia all demanding embarrassing explanations) versus romance in Tahiti or Suva or wherever he may have decided to go north instead of east and work his way across via the Solomon Islands or he could have made landfall in Shoalwater Bay and be crabbing and fishing to catch up on his protein intake.

If he did not clear out and has only been on the high seas he does not need to clear in and can landfall, anchor or cruise wherever he wants. If he has limited point-of-sail capabilities he may prefer to landfall further north than Bundaberg or Moreton Bay.

To those taking confected, politically correct, offense at the tone of some of the posts. "take your hand off it mate".
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 20:33   #189

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
If he did not clear out and has only been on the high seas he does not need to clear in and can landfall, anchor or cruise wherever he wants. If he has limited point-of-sail capabilities he may prefer to landfall further north than Bundaberg or Moreton Bay.
If he was intending to land in Fiji, he would have had to clear out or face all sorts of hassles trying to clear in anywhere.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 01:38   #190
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

To those taking confected, politically correct, offense at the tone of some of the posts. "take your hand off it mate".
AFAIK, this is not entirely true.

While I don't know what the new Aussie Border Force (customs and immigration) demands are I am quite sure he would be required to comply with AQIS (quarantine) requirements. Especially so since he has known contact with foreigners (the cruise ship and the NZ navy).

AQIS has very long arms and very powerful rights. They can prevent anyone embarking or disembarking pretty much at their discretion. They can prevent customs/immigration officers and AFAIK, state and federal police from boarding a vessel until they have cleared it. Heck, they can inspect vessels traveling interstate if they want.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 19:38   #191

Hi all,

Apparently customs, or Border Farse as they are called nowadays, spotted him on Saturday approximately 200 miles plus off Brisbane. Police informed the family only today and advise they expect him to come in around midnight tonight.

By any chance is there anyone out in the Bay or out towards Moreton or Stradbroke that could give him a call on VHF?
Old 21-09-2015, 20:03   #192

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Fan-bloody-tastic news! Thanks for the update RC. Nearly out of finger nails here.
Old 21-09-2015, 20:48   #193

well a happy ending..? brilliant news
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 21:03   #194

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Not yet, but close by the sound of it.
Old 22-09-2015, 01:37   #195
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
AQIS has very long arms and very powerful rights.....
Heck, they can inspect vessels traveling interstate if they want.
Opps... belay that last comment. I was getting a little ahead of my brain and confusing state quarantine services with AQIS.
Sorry.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, yacht