Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2023, 15:08   #31

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: U.S. West Coast "Pirates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Crime is a societal problem. Is there a culture of crime? Sure... in some places and at some times. Is this cultural aspect stronger in the USA vs other peer countries? I don't have a way to answer that, although others probably would try. Certainly, you can do national-level comparisons to see where countries fall.
I would say unequivocally, yes. There is absolutely a culture that dictates what acceptable behavior is.

As you go to different areas in the United States the culture changes pretty dramatically.

I am currently in an area where stealing things would be unheard of. You’d be an outcast and a social pariah for even considering it. You simply do not steal from anyone. Even corporations.

Long gone are the times when I had to chain up my dinghy up and worry constantly about my boat being broken into. I could even leave my tools out overnight at the mast I am working on here. No one will steal any of them.

The culture here is different than it is in say, Florida. In Florida if you don’t chain up your dinghy it’s gone. Tools left out at the marina? Gone while you went to the bathroom.

So it’s absolutely culture that influences someone’s behavior. Culture dictates if you personally think it’s right or wrong to take something from someone else.

Due to failing culture (values/honesty deteriorating), many think it’s ok to steal. My “rigger”, these “pirates”, lots and lots of people in Florida. These people have all been allowed to follow their criminal instincts due to a culture that doesn’t make stealing repugnant
Chotu is offline   Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 07:16   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

As someone who currently earns his living on the Oakland Estuary, I feel a little more qualified than most here to comment on this subject. Yes, there is a property crime issue. But this is not a new problem. It has come and gone multiple times over the years. It is not “piracy” unless that word is used to describe drug addicts stealing easy-to-grab items in order to sell them and fund their addictions, which is something that happens virtually everywhere. And as in the past, once enough people start complaining, the authorities will step up and deal with the problem (this is beginning to happen now.) This is not “organized crime” as some have suggested. It is akin to car break-ins and so called “porch piracy”, which are extremely common crimes all over the country. Yet I don’t seem to recall other cities being flamed by the main stream media for it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply
Old 04-10-2023, 09:01   #33

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Sailors use to be concerned about crime on certain Caribbean Islands. Now these crimes seem to be coming to the United States. I hope this behavior doesn't spread to other areas of the country.

We were concerned cursing through the Caribbean or Mexico and be sure to lock your dingy and have protection against pirates etc. I personally know three people who have had their 45’ boats stolen in southern california, I imagine it happens often. Property crime in CA and violent crime in FL, Mexico not so much…
nextis12 is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 06:58   #34

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_isara View Post
Defund the police. You reap what you sew.
As did Senator Henry Cuellar. Amazing how being victimized alters your perception.
K1MGY is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 07:13   #35

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

This, from The Economist
"Fifty years ago Gary Becker, a Nobel prize-winning economist, advanced an argument that all crime is economic and all criminals are rational. Becker’s seminal paper, “Crime and Punishment: An Economic Approach” posited that would-be criminals make a cost-benefit assessment of the likely rewards from breaking the law against the probability of being caught and punished. In Becker’s world of utility-maximising miscreants, places that have larger gaps between the poor (the would-be criminals) and the rich (the victims) will, all other things being equal, have higher crime."
The data show that property crime, assault, and lack of confidence in the police are all correlated with income inequality.
Of course, it is never actually the case that "all other things being equal", and I also don't think that all criminals are rational (a lot of them are actually stupid). But if you put an ostentatious manifestation of wealth in front of a person at the bottom of the economic ladder, you should expect adverse consequences. Probably mostly wrong for members of this forum, but a cruising boat is likely viewed by many as an ostentatious sign of wealth.
lestersails is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 07:17   #36

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestersails View Post
... In Becker’s world of utility-maximising miscreants, places that have larger gaps between the poor (the would-be criminals) and the rich (the victims) will, all other things being equal, have higher crime."
Interesting, but might not explain the high rates of crime (presumably all economically-driven) in very poor, run down areas of the nation (Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, LA, and SF among many others).

I can see how attractive nice yachts anchored off a shore in poverty would provide attractive bait.

Solution: don't go there!
K1MGY is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 07:28   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Here! Here!
camdenjohn is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 07:47   #38

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1MGY View Post
Interesting, but might not explain the high rates of crime (presumably all economically-driven) in very poor, run down areas of the nation (Detroit, Chicago, Minneapolis, LA, and SF among many others).

I can see how attractive nice yachts anchored off a shore in poverty would provide attractive bait.

Solution: don't go there!
Agree - no simplistic theory can explain all behavior.

And then there is the annoying fact "the victimization rate for all personal crimes among individuals with family incomes of less than $15,000 was over three times the rate of individuals with family incomes of $75,000 or more." So, yes, you are right that crime is higher in poor areas, but that crime is disproportionately visited upon the poor.

Still, statistics are just numbers and what you mostly care about is you. N=1. A strategy could be to dock/moor/anchor near a fancier boat with less security than you have. Same as houses. A little more security and fewer obvious signs of wealth make a less appealing (relatively) target.
lestersails is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 08:07   #39

Boat: Beneteau, 423, 42 ft.

The story is actually about the Oakland- Alameda estuary. Not San Francisco, not Richmond or elsewhere on the “west coast.” Another unfortunate case of social media distorting the facts and spreading inaccurate information.
Lombo is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 08:20   #40

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
"Pirates" is also clickbait. This seems to be more a case of poverty-driven crime, which is also providing a vulnerable population to be preyed upon.
Well...

Bring to America millions of undocumented, unverified people from third-world countries, where crime and and lawlessness is "normal", and then turn them loose on the streets.
sinnerman is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 08:51   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Well...

Bring to America millions of undocumented, unverified people from third-world countries, where crime and and lawlessness is "normal", and then turn them loose on the streets.

So you have proof that the majority of the crime in question is being perpetrated by undocumented people? Great. Let's see it.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:58   #42

It might be best to stay away from high crime areas.
conchaway is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 09:05   #43

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchaway View Post
It might be best to stay away from high crime areas.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:12   #44

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

As a number of fellow cruisers have already pointed out, the information characterized as "piracy", while not accurate, certainly gains attention among our community. Common theft is something to be concerned about, but sensationalizing it by identifying it as "piracy" appears to raise blood-pressure rather than addressing the problem.

The story referenced in the OP, took place in and around Alameda, an adjoining community to Oakland, which are both in Alameda County, not San Francisco or San Francisco County. For perspective, the greater San Francisco Bay (when including Seisun and San Pablo Bays) covers approximately 1,600 square miles and includes nine counties encompassing 101 municipalities. The population of the greater Bay Area is just over 7-million people. Well over 50-marinas are located around San Francisco Bay. On the water jurisdiction is split between the USCG and several of the larger cities who have the resources to support limited maritime policing.

The story continues to be sensationalized, but according to a recent report released on a Fox News Feed (see link below), an alleged seafaring bandit was apprehended October 9, 2023 in Oakland and is being investigated for his possible involvement in this activity. None of the activities reported that I am aware of constituted "piracy", but rather simple theft or larceny. Attempt to sensationalize or politicize these acts serves no purpose to addressing the solutions. It is important for each of us to keep an eye out for our cruising neighbors to help mitigate these crimes, regardless of geographical location.

https://www.wgmd.com/alleged-seafari...of-boat-raids/
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply
Old 09-10-2023, 09:12   #45

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_isara View Post
Defund the police. You reap what you sew.

I had a business in Richmond CA before I had to shut down due to California costs plus other reasons (issues with a big big online retailer) - when we had keys to vehicles stolen, the police department told me how much their staff had been cut down. We knew where the homeless encampment was who had the keys (couldn't miss it), so I had to walk through there offering bribes to mental case drug addicted whack jobs. Fun times.

However, the pendulum is starting to swing finally and people are getting sick of defending leeches and criminals (never thought I'd see the day but glad to see it).
Save your (incorrect) political view here…

< Local spending on police increased in 90% of locations we looked at from fiscal year 2019 to 2022. The San Francisco Police Department budget increased overall by 4.4% from 2019 to 2022, although SFPD saw a larger increase in fiscal year 2019-2020 before the budget dropped from that high point for the next two fiscal years.

That overall percentage is below the increases reported in Oakland, where police funding rose 17.9%, and in San Jose, where police funding increased 17.6%.>
Sailshabby is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
west coast