Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2023, 08:48   #61
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: U.S. West Coast "Pirates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Budgets are a largely meaningless measure of efficacy as you note above. But it often becomes a data point people bring up to divert from the real problem and actual crime rates.
Except in this case it was brought up to refute the erroneous assertion that the police had been "defunded."
fstbttms is offline   Reply
Old 12-10-2023, 09:32   #62

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Except in this case it was brought up to refute the erroneous assertion that the police had been "defunded."
Obviously, however, the message that the crime rate is a function of $$$$ is frivolous as we see both there and elsewhere.

You can spend a fortune of sailboat racing programs but if no one enforced the rules, every start would be chaos. Spending money creates only the appearance of action when it is used to polish the chrome instead of ensuring compliance.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply
Old 12-10-2023, 12:50   #63

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Obviously, however, the message that the crime rate is a function of $$$$ is frivolous as we see both there and elsewhere.

So… you’re in favour of “defunding the police”?
Old 12-10-2023, 13:12   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So… you’re in favour of “defunding the police”?
Please don’t twist what I said to suit your agenda.
Old 12-10-2023, 14:25   #65

Quote:
Please don’t twist what I said to suit your agenda.

What agenda?

I was just surprised to see you write that $$$$ doesn’t matter with regard to policing and crime rates. It didn’t seem to be consistent with your past statements.
Old 12-10-2023, 15:14   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What agenda?

I was just surprised to see you write that $$$$ doesn’t matter with regard to policing and crime rates. It didn’t seem to be consistent with your past statements.
You seem to have taken one phrase out of context.

What I wrote was money is not an indicator of efficacy in crime reduction in the context that IF SPENT ON THE WRONG PRIORITIES. Just because a government increased their police budget as someone claimed is meaningless unless that money increases enforcement and deterrent capability
Old 13-10-2023, 23:29   #67

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odessey 45.2

We have Pirates in Australia, some work In the marine industry and others wear official uniforms and work for government agencies.
colinalleck is offline   Reply
Old 14-10-2023, 07:34   #68

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
If it’s all just a matter of "poverty driven crime," then how come I’ve been assaulted and robbed more times in the US, than in 50 years in Latin America? Poverty isn’t an excuse for criminal behavior.
How many times have you been assaulted or robbed in the US, and specifically where?

I was born when FDR was president and have lived a normal life in the USA and gone to normal places. I have yet to be assaulted or robbed. I did have my vehicle broken into one time about fifty years ago.
Old 14-10-2023, 08:04   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
How many times have you been assaulted or robbed in the US, and specifically where?

I was born when FDR was president and have lived a normal life in the USA and gone to normal places. I have yet to be assaulted or robbed. I did have my vehicle broken into one time about fifty years ago.
Anecdotal stories and isolated experiences don’t make a good basis for forming generalities. Statistics do…. And the statistics clearly show where crime is more common and the correlation between elevated crime rate and both demographics and government policies is obvious.
Old 14-10-2023, 08:13   #70

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

In spite of your age, you just assaulted us with your anecdotal fallacy
Iron E is offline   Reply
Old 14-10-2023, 13:11   #71

Boat: Norseman 447

Rwidman —.
Just being born when FDR was President doesn’t imply that one has achieved wisdom. That's proved without a doubt since I was born in FDR's time too.

While my anecdotal story isn’t generic proof, it’s at least one data point.i have never been assaulted in Latin America (since 1962) versus 4 times in California (El Centro, LA, SF).
I’ve been robbed from my house, car or storage locker 4 times (SF, El Centro, LA, Minneapolis).

Once I had several thousand dollars worth of professional movie equipment stolen in South America. Several months after I returned to the US, I got a call from TWA saying that I had a COD shipment at the airport. It was all of the equipment. I never found out who stole it, who sent it back, or why.

But my experience doesn’t support the idea that poverty, in and of itself, results in crime.
Bycrick is offline   Reply
Old 14-10-2023, 13:37   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
But my experience doesn’t support the idea that poverty, in and of itself, results in crime.
Good thing no one ever said that.

Poverty can be a contributing factor in crime. And as discussed earlier, poverty is mostly a relative factor. It is largely meaningless to compare the poor in one area to others who live in vastly different circumstances.
Old 14-10-2023, 17:41   #73

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimellifritt View Post
Classic example of unenforced laws. You should not have to do this. This is a government responsibility. Law enforcement use to enforce laws sadly that is our past.
Somewhere after the Boldt Decision, I used to go for a putt in my small but fast powerboat. I exited the Sammammish Slough into Lake Washington one evening when the Salmon run was in full swing.

There, COMPLETELY ACROSS the mouth of the Slough (which comes from Lake Sammammish and the Cascade Mountains) was an Indian fishnet.
I lifted my small powerboat motor and slid across under the watchful eye of an aluminum gillnetter boat with the operator on deck holding a shotgun.

I then cruised around the lake for an hour as darkness fell, and had to do the same thing to enter the Slough to get home. This happened repeatedly over a week.

After getting really tired of this, one day I called Fish and Wildlife in Olympia WA to report this obvious criminal act against the fishing laws. I asked them to go out there

The answer I got was, "We're kind of scared of those Indians".

Nothing ever happened.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
west coast