My goodness...
Old 27-10-2017, 13:12   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Hmm, one practical questions arises for me: Let's say I've got a busted spreader, can't fix it and I can't just sail on the other tack to put it on the leeward side. The shroud now is too long and loosy goosy. I can't fix that as well so I go for the classic solution of using a halyard as makeshift shroud.

Now my question: Is anybody out there (like riggers, structual engineer, ...) who can give an educated guess on how to proceed with that fix? I mean, can I just keep on sailing like before, should I avoid any tension at all, go reefed, ...? Would be quite nice to have a ballpark gameplan for that situation.
deep reef and sail as though your mast is only the heights of your lower shrouds .
JMO ( that's what I would do in till I could effect repairs.) anything to keep the boat moving forward.
Old 27-10-2017, 13:13   #63

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by _andi_ View Post
Hmm, one practical questions arises for me: Let's say I've got a busted spreader, can't fix it and I can't just sail on the other tack to put it on the leeward side. The shroud now is too long and loosy goosy. I can't fix that as well so I go for the classic solution of using a halyard as makeshift shroud.

Now my question: Is anybody out there (like riggers, structual engineer, ...) who can give an educated guess on how to proceed with that fix? I mean, can I just keep on sailing like before, should I avoid any tension at all, go reefed, ...? Would be quite nice to have a ballpark gameplan for that situation.
andi,

You can figure out more about this if you think about it. Not only is the shroud "all loosy goosy", but without the spreader, the mast is not properly supported. You will have to cobber something together to repair the spreader. And then give it a go.

If the boat has lower shrouds, you might be able to rig a small sail from the attachment points on the mast just below the lowers, to the tack, and limp along slowly. You would want to jury rig a strong line from just above the lowers to be a stay.

It is possible to go aloft at sea, but easier if you have someone to help you than if you're single handed.

Uncivilized will probably be along here in a minute to answer your question in more detail.

Ann
Old 27-10-2017, 13:13   #64

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

It's getting worse. Just reviewed the video and if you look closely you can see somebody in the mast, probably assessing/fixing the spreader...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2017-10-27 22-08-41.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	158404  
Old 27-10-2017, 13:27   #65

Boat: Gib'Sea 402

I tend to favour the theory put forward by Robert Wilson on the YBW Scuttlebutt forum:-
Quote:
I reckon they set off with their two menfolk, fetched-up on a deserted island (explains the weed-line), had big fallings-out, murdered the men then ate them (fed them to the dogs too) then when they realised they were nearing civilisation and would be in for some awkward questioning they broke the engine, somehow, pretended to be in distress and are now hoping the mugs on the other side of the world will believe them as being two helpless lost little ladies.
Well it's another way of explaining the inexplicable
Old 27-10-2017, 13:29   #66

Boat: wanting a cat

That's out there...

meatservo
Old 27-10-2017, 13:48   #67

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry to say, I am sliding over to the publicity side of this issue. For me, it is mostly the apparent lack of seamanship, and their story, so far, does not hold together for me.

Ann
Old 27-10-2017, 13:56   #68

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Did I hear that correctly?: The blonde built the boat in 2 years?
If that's true, she could have dealt with the spreader with absolutely no problem.
I don't understand not being able to anchor somewhere in Kiribati? Don't they send cruise ships and very large launches there chock full of tourists?
Old 27-10-2017, 15:28   #69
CLOD

Boat: none

I skipped the middle armchair thread posts, but I’ve learned something. I’ve wondered about big dogs on boats and put it down to people love their dogs. But now I see the practical side of it as “if things get bad there’s fresh meat”. :-)
Old 27-10-2017, 15:29   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by snort View Post
I don't understand not being able to anchor somewhere in Kiribati?
Having listened to the interview, I also don't understand not being able to pronounce "Kiribati" correctly.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
Having listened to the interview, I also don't understand not being able to pronounce "Kiribati" correctly.
I caught that too, but they look like concrete thinkers, and I gave her a pass for the not-too-obvious pronunciation.
Kiribahs.
Old 27-10-2017, 15:55   #72

Boat: Leopard 39

These things always seem to boil down to reasons why "this never would have happened to us," and that's actually a good thing. I have been on occasion branded an overly cautious "nut" because of my tunnel vision to safety at sea. Well, attention to safety in this instance might have saved these sailors five months of basking in the sun, right?
Old 27-10-2017, 15:59   #73

I still contend that the dogs held the highest IQ's and would have solved the problems, except for the fact that they don't have opposable thumbs.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:01   #74

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Did I hear that correctly?: The blonde built the boat in 2 years?
If that's true, she could have dealt with the spreader with absolutely no problem.
I don't understand not being able to anchor somewhere in Kiribati? Don't they send cruise ships and very large launches there chock full of tourists?
This storyline somehow doesn't pass the smell test. Something is wrong here.
Old 27-10-2017, 16:11   #75
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
....... But now I see the practical side of it as “if things get bad there’s fresh meat”. :-)
Quote:
I still contend that the dogs held the highest IQ's and would have solved the problems, except for the fact that they don't have opposable thumbs.
Both parties were (presumably) meat eaters...
Does the highest IQ mean who gets to eat last.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue