Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2017, 08:38   #46
cruiser

Re: Couple and dogs rescued after months at sea

It appears that they "set off" from Hawaii without a clue, but at least they had enough sense to take on plenty of food for all four of them which resulted in a good outcome.

Yep... sail still on the boom, jib intact and ready to deploy with roller furling (interesting).

I'm thinking they weren't really adrift in need of rescue after five months at sea, more like they got lost, just gave up, OR are now trying to market their story to buy a better boat. Judging by how well-fed everyone looks.... their story is rather transparent. They had several months to concoct their "Life of Pi" story.

Why would anyone bring along a years supply of dog food? If this was real.... the dogs would have been the people food. This story smells like total Bull Poop. Statements like "We had less than 24 hours before our boat sank," to add to the drama.
Old 27-10-2017, 09:03   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

About the "shark attacked my boat" Issue:

The boat had significant growth on it. It was likely just drifting with the current. Objects drifting at the surface like that attract fish, both small fish and then larger predators. Some objects will have a large number of small fish and predatory fish hanging about below or attracted to it.

When Steven Callahan was adrift for a few months, in the Atlantic, his liferaft was often bumped many times by Dorados and even by sharks.

I have read other accounts of lifeboats and life rafts being bumped ("attacked") by sharks.

So, it is not unlikely or far fetched that a Dorado or even a shark would bump "attack" a drifting boat, especially while pursuing smaller fish hiding below it.
Old 27-10-2017, 10:02   #48

It appears that a couple of solar panels and a SSB radio could have been put to use, or perhaps an EPIRB. Very puzzling event.
Old 27-10-2017, 10:09   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
About the "shark attacked my boat" Issue:

The boat had significant growth on it. It was likely just drifting with the current. Objects drifting at the surface like that attract fish, both small fish and then larger predators. Some objects will have a large number of small fish and predatory fish hanging about below or attracted to it.

When Steven Callahan was adrift for a few months, in the Atlantic, his liferaft was often bumped many times by Dorados and even by sharks.

I have read other accounts of lifeboats and life rafts being bumped ("attacked") by sharks.

So, it is not unlikely or far fetched that a Dorado or even a shark would bump "attack" a drifting boat, especially while pursuing smaller fish hiding below it.
steady look at the picture again the blue hull below the lwl is not heavily overgrown.
Look at the growth on the hull now think of the diagonal with the boat heeled over at about 15° to 18° the sails are properly stowed and the mast and boom appear to be intact. As far as about to sink well look at the lwl. Doesn't look like its sinking to me. Just to many inconsistencies for me .
Old 27-10-2017, 11:24   #50
cruiser

Makes one wonder how soon their agent will have them booked on Ellen DeGeneres?
Old 27-10-2017, 11:34   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know if this video link has been posted yet.

The video includes some footage of the boat from a distance, the rescue small boat from the Navy ship going to assist, the greetings, and some still photos. It also includes recorded voice of the sailor (owner/captain) describing that rescue.

In the recording, she says the boat could not go faster than 4-5 knots and the journalist says the engine was disabled when it was flooded in a storm.

Oops! The link did not work.

I will leave the text up above for the content.
Old 27-10-2017, 11:48   #52

Boat: Catalina 470

Newhaul,
I don't want to drift off-topic....but, for clarification...
Yes, we are aware of hand-operated (or engine-driven) RO watermakers...
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
John you don't need power to run my watermaker it is convertible to manual in the unlikely event of total power loss.
If you've ever tried to pump the PUR Survivor 35 (I did it years ago, at a boat show), you'll soon see that having it secured solidly is important to get the leverage for most "average-sized" folks...and even then it ain't something that you're likely to do for more than an hour or two per day (at a spec of 1.2gal/hr of continuous pumping, this should produce about as much water as two crew would need to "survive")

But, for most who desire a RO watermaker on board (I have a Spectra Ventura MPC-5000, and carry 215 gal of fresh water in 5 tanks, and 520 watts of solar, towed-water-gen, Yanmar diesel, and 6kw genset, etc. etc), most (> 99%) are electrically powered, whether 12vdc / 24vdc, or 110vac / 230vac...
And, if we don't have electrical power, we're not making water...

Fair winds..

John
Old 27-10-2017, 12:05   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
Newhaul,
I don't want to drift off-topic....but, for clarification...
Yes, we are aware of hand-operated (or engine-driven) RO watermakers...
If you've ever tried to pump the PUR Survivor 35 (I did it years ago, at a boat show), you'll soon see that having it secured solidly is important to get the leverage for most "average-sized" folks...and even then it ain't something that you're likely to do for more than an hour or two per day (at a spec of 1.2gal/hr of continuous pumping, this should produce about as much water as two crew would need to "survive")

But, for most who desire a RO watermaker on board (I have a Spectra Ventura MPC-5000, and carry 215 gal of fresh water in 5 tanks, and 520 watts of solar, towed-water-gen, Yanmar diesel, and 6kw genset, etc. etc), most (> 99%) are electrically powered, whether 12vdc / 24vdc, or 110vac / 230vac...
And, if we don't have electrical power, we're not making water...

Fair winds..

John
yes I have used a survivor 35 manual mode it sucks but better than dying of thirst.
My powersurvivor35. While small it is plenty for me as a solo sailor. ( the $200 price tag don't hurt either) Rob SV Stephfen Ulysses. (Ka7wld)
Old 27-10-2017, 12:17   #54

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

On the subject of man-powered watermakers, Tony Bullimore had one that he worked one handed. It was the regular squeezing sound that alerted the rescue ship to his exact location. Saved him, from a boat that had lost its keel, deep in the Southern Ocean. A great rescue job by the Australian Navy. It was the 1996 Vendee Globe single handed round the world race.

Just water will keep us going quite a long time.

I still say we don't know what happened with these people. Maybe newhaul's right, and it is a publicity stunt, but maybe not.

Ann
Old 27-10-2017, 12:22   #55

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
yes I have used a survivor 35 manual mode it sucks but better than dying of thirst.
My powersurvivor35. While small it is plenty for me as a solo sailor. ( the $200 price tag don't hurt either) Rob SV Stephfen Ulysses. (Ka7wld)
The $200 entry price excited me, but the $340 membrane replacement cost was shocking! [emoji33]

Back to fiddling with solar stills, unless you have any tips on how to pick these up on the cheap?
Old 27-10-2017, 12:35   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
The $200 entry price excited me, but the $340 membrane replacement cost was shocking! [emoji33]

Back to fiddling with solar stills, unless you have any tips on how to pick these up on the cheap?
pm me I will see if I can find my suppliers info.
Old 27-10-2017, 12:38   #57

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Oops! The link did not work.
this interview?

- First night: Force 11 storm. Dafuq? Check Weather forecast before leaving the harbor? Maybe somebody could look up the actual wind speeds that day (departure was May 5th), at first glance it was nowhere that windy but I'm not from the area and don't know which weather stations to look at...

- Broken Mast was a broken spreader and they couldn‘t climb the mast at sea.

- The boat was too large to enter kiribati, so no fix there.

- Flooded starter and ignition due to rain disabled the engine. Dafuq? again…

I really like wargaming incidents at sea to learn what to do in these kind of situations but I'm afraid there not too much to learn from this besides "gradually increase the difficulty of the sailing you're doing"...
Old 27-10-2017, 12:44   #58

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

No mention of EPIRB or PLBs in any of the news coverage; relying on VHF alone.
Come on now.
This is precisely the scenario for their intended use.
Old 27-10-2017, 12:48   #59

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
pm me I will see if I can find my suppliers info.
PM sent!
Old 27-10-2017, 12:56   #60

Boat: Parker Super Seal 26

Hmm, one practical questions arises for me: Let's say I've got a busted spreader, can't fix it and I can't just sail on the other tack to put it on the leeward side. The shroud now is too long and loosy goosy. I can't fix that as well so I go for the classic solution of using a halyard as makeshift shroud.

Now my question: Is anybody out there (like riggers, structual engineer, ...) who can give an educated guess on how to proceed with that fix? I mean, can I just keep on sailing like before, should I avoid any tension at all, go reefed, ...? Would be quite nice to have a ballpark gameplan for that situation.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, men, rescue