Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 10:22   #721

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolanorton View Post
"They identified it as a false killer whale. The net controller asked what colour their hull was, as a crewmember suggested that whales attack boats with red bottoms. Interestingly, they had just repainted their bottom red"

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...ncounter-61269

Thank you for that report, it reinforces my belief. I had just passed 50 hhumpbacks off Monterey California when suddenly 50 feet off my beam a humpback stuck his head up and screamed at me. Two minutes later he was right behind me giving Chase. Since I was sailing at 4 1/2 knots in a very deep angle, I just turned up to a close reach and accelerated before he got to me. I would’ve had video if I wouldn’t have hit the reverse button on my phone. All I got was filming behind me!....

Now back to LV in The Weather routing! I’m a big fan of these guys
Old 25-11-2019, 10:35   #722
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolanorton View Post
"They identified it as a false killer whale. The net controller asked what colour their hull was, as a crewmember suggested that whales attack boats with red bottoms. Interestingly, they had just repainted their bottom red"

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...ncounter-61269

good article,wow that is a lot of yachts lost recently to whales in the atlantic.

according to the article,the faster you go the more chance you have of hitting one.
hitting a 60ft whale at 22 knots would be catastrophic
Old 25-11-2019, 12:41   #723

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Since it seems the current trend is to ignore the OPs polite request to keep on topic I shall further stretch his patience and ask if Exile can put some detail to the “ multitude “ of these crew flights claim , sound like she was passenger on an aircraft carrier ??
Where ya been dude?! Crew that ferried Greta over to NYC on the race boat flew home to Europe. Another crew flew from Europe to NYC to sail the race boat home. Nikkie’s from England right? I’ll leave it to you to figure how she likely got to the US for the expedited departure and how she’ll get home from Spain/Portugal. So two trans-Atlantic flights avoided by Greta at the expense of how many again?

Unless, of course, it’s all fake news.

Raises awareness sure. I get it. But at the expense of trivializing an otherwise important environmental issue. Understand why some may have a different take on all this, regardless of their take on the underlying science?
Old 25-11-2019, 12:51   #724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budawang View Post
The voice-over was Alan Jones, one of the most toxic media personalities here in Australia. He's famous for his ranting monologues, character assassinations and cash for comment scandals.
So we should either silence him or attack him personally. Anything to avoid challenging the opinions expressed. Par for the course these days.
Old 25-11-2019, 13:00   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Where ya been dude?! Crew that ferried Greta over to NYC on the race boat flew home to Europe. Another crew flew from Europe to NYC to sail the race boat home. Nikkie’s from England right? I’ll leave it to you to figure how she likely got to the US for the expedited departure and how she’ll get home from Spain/Portugal. So two trans-Atlantic flights avoided by Greta at the expense of how many again?

Unless, of course, it’s all fake news.

Raises awareness sure. I get it. But at the expense of trivializing an otherwise important environmental issue. Understand why some may have a different take on all this, regardless of their take on the underlying science?
So what’s that then , a multitude of 6 or 8 ? !!!, I gues “ multitude “ does not mean what it used to , I thot you meant support crew , film crew , family , etc , you know , a multitude of people . So is that fake or just gross exaggeration , ( not unusual within the denialist camp )
Old 25-11-2019, 13:00   #726
Poa

La Vagabonde published two pre-recorded videos (ep. 224+225)
Old 25-11-2019, 13:22   #727

Only 224 is available ,,, seems it has already gone the way of the Nangji vid , prob be withdrawn pretty soon
Old 25-11-2019, 13:27   #728

looks like the bottom of the next ( newfound land centered ) low is about to catch them up , or is it the tp of the high ,,,, bon voyage anyway
Old 25-11-2019, 13:27   #729
Poa

They published them on the Patreon
Old 25-11-2019, 13:34   #730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poa View Post
They published them on the Patreon
i dont do that ,, tbhi i have not watched much of them for q a long time now,, really since the baby came along , their vids are a bit different now , maybe different market, their call ,,, but i have a new found respect and admiration for them now.
Old 25-11-2019, 14:02   #731

and yet still further N as of latest update ( 22.00 UK time ) .
Old 25-11-2019, 14:04   #732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
interesting routing decision. Weather pattern mostly the same as previously but offers a more stark choice.

Three route options. The most northern is the fastest average speed, with the most southern a close second.
Apparently, our friends have chosen the northern one. Still heading NE-ENE.
I note that BW's northern route goes all the way up to approximately N43°.

Almost tempting to check train schedule from Vigo to Madrid, rather than from Lisbon
Old 25-11-2019, 14:52   #733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
So what’s that then , a multitude of 6 or 8 ? !!!, I gues “ multitude “ does not mean what it used to , I thot you meant support crew , film crew , family , etc , you know , a multitude of people . So is that fake or just gross exaggeration , ( not unusual within the denialist camp )
Anything over “two” makes the point rather definitively. ;-)
Old 25-11-2019, 14:53   #734

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
at sea, I personally use ADRENA (what the french pros all use).

but that is overkill for this little tracking effort - so here I am using the freeware QtVlm , which is a very nice little program, especially for free. It gives the same routing as the fancier programs, just has a bit less options and flexibility, but is a fully usable program.

In Adrena, for this exercise, I would put a 35kts 'fence' in (you could also put a sea state fence in, but that data can be a bit sketchy), so it would try to route only with less than 35kts, and if it found a spot where it could not it would give me options to consider. But you can do that manually with QtVlm.

(Full transparency - back in the day I had a tiny sponsorship deal with Adrena - I would use their product and show their screenshots when I did public routing exercises for the Vendee and volvo and they would give me the product for free - I approached them as Adrena was my preference because I wanted to be using the exact same set-up as the skippers at sea . . . but that's all long in the past)

Expedition is also quite good, seems to be used by english speaking racers. I am totally happy to use that if it is the boat's system.
This is an unbelievably useful thread. Thank you so much for putting this together. I wish we could do it with every passage this year. This is a real clinic.

One question. I keep seeing you saying you are lowering your polars by percentages. My assumption would be that the decreased speed we are seeing is because they are reefed down. Most of the routing softwares include additional polar options for reefs. What polars are you using for this exercise? Just the stock ones for Vagabond's boat under full sail?
Old 25-11-2019, 15:51   #735

Had a bicycle crash today, a bit banged up, can’t see out of left eye or use left hand. We think nothing permanent. But take a while to recover, not sure if I will continue routing one eyed and one handed.

It’s “interesting” I get banged up pretty much once a year on bike, really never ever have on boat (tropical infection once in Durban). Surprisingly similar miles also on both - 5 to 10k/year.

Sad, because 2nd half of passage looks as interesting as the first half.

Unbusted, I started with polars that I had from another project, from a slightly faster custom cat. The difficult with LV is that this crew is a bit inconsistent - sometimes sending it and other times not - more than I am used to.
Closed Thread