Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 04:35   #691

Re: La Vagabonde's crossing

At 1143 GMT today Monday 25 Nov, our friends on LA VAGABONDE have achieved an admirable 9.0 knots average Velocity Made Good during the last 25 hours (since 1050 GMT yesterday Sunday).
This is calculated along a straight Rhumb Line directly to Cascais, Lisbon: DTG yesterday was 1738 n.m., today it is 1515 n.m.
Average SOG has been even slightly higher, as they have been following a more N'erly course than the direct line towards Lisbon.
They are now on a higher latitude than Lisbon, and still heading ENE.
Straight Rhumb Line course to Lisbon is 094° from their position at 1143 GMT.
Old 25-11-2019, 04:42   #692

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
It will be interesting to see if Ms. Thunberg is sufficiently self-aware to prioritize her education.
She has completed her secondary school education with 14 A's and 3 B's despite skipping classes a lot, and decided to take a year off school, not unlike many students and their gap year.
Old 25-11-2019, 04:53   #693
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
She has completed her secondary school education with 14 A's and 3 B's despite skipping classes a lot, and decided to take a year off school, not unlike many students and their gap year.
she will have logged enough miles to do her RYA Yachtmasters practical exam by the time they get to portugal
Old 25-11-2019, 04:59   #694

Quote:
well good for you,, i was wanting to post that but refrained out of respect to OP who requested not to ,,, however , it would seem that some people expect her to have achieved some sort of university degree in her 9 th grade !!
Old 25-11-2019, 05:01   #695

all looking good for some good sailing due E anytime now and a perhaps well deserved rest on Friday just N of the Azores ( dont ask me how i know ,, i wont tell you !! )
Old 25-11-2019, 05:05   #696

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
The snowflakes must be getting cold ,and i bet Greta has run out of colouring in books .
so we have moved on from cynicism to insults ,,, did you learn that on your trips round the world ??
Old 25-11-2019, 05:09   #697

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
It will be interesting to see if Ms. Thunberg is sufficiently self-aware to prioritize her education.
Quote:
Further to the comments of fivecapes:
Don't we all agree that the experience of crossing the North Atlantic Ocean twice by sail, entails quite a valuable "education" by itself? I think it is impossible to participate in such journeys, without stepping ashore with much more wisdom than what you had when the voyages started. In subjects as meteorology, navigation, physics, practical mathematics, etc, etc.
Maybe one even learns how to use a voltmeter to figure out why the fridge is cold.
To those middle aged men here who can't refrain from expressing their vicious and fatuous remarks about this teenager: Can you please do that elsewhere, than in a thread that is designated to be about weather routing and seamanship?

https://www.ft.com/content/843e1fa4-...4-d00e5018f061
Old 25-11-2019, 05:17   #698

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
A gap year between middle school and high school? Swedish "upper secondary school" = high school.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:12   #699

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
To those middle aged men here who can't refrain from expressing their vicious and fatuous remarks about this teenager . . .
Not sure "vicious" and "fatuous" are apt descriptors. Some people who, as long-time sailors, are probably more environmentally conscious than most might just be having a hard time counting up the multitude of trans-Atlantic airplane flights by various crew that were required to allow Greta to merely avoid two such flights. Besides, you forgot "white," "bald" and "cranky" when directing your anger towards middle aged men. This might help explain why other equally rational & well-intended people of whatever stripe see things differently than you (2 mins):

Btw, I don't blame Greta in the least, for the same reason society generally doesn't hold under-age juveniles responsible for their actions when blame so obviously rests with teachers & parents. Feel rather sorry for her actually. I think she's sincere in her belief that she and other kids have had their childhoods "stolen," no matter how far from reality those beliefs actually are.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:31   #700

Since it seems the current trend is to ignore the OPs polite request to keep on topic I shall further stretch his patience and ask if Exile can put some detail to the “ multitude “ of these crew flights claim , sound like she was passenger on an aircraft carrier ??
Old 25-11-2019, 06:33   #701

Boat: SeaDog 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terje Vigen View Post
To those middle aged men here who can't refrain from expressing their vicious and fatuous remarks about this teenager: Can you please do that elsewhere, than in a thread that is designated to be about weather routing and seamanship?
Terje, may I remind you that 6 days ago (19-11-2019, 09:24) it was you who deliberately posted a picture of her political message? You knew very well that it was not OK, yet you did it with a big smile "Ooops: Please excuse me for breaching the OP's restrictions on climate related messages here."

So let's calm down and get back to weather.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:38   #702

Boat: Discovery 50

Can the admins please take down that outrageous piece of political propaganda that Exile posted above. Thank you.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:50   #703

interesting routing decision. Weather pattern mostly the same as previously but offers a more stark choice.

Three route options. The most northern is the fastest average speed, with the most southern a close second.

25th run over by light airs as has been forecast - no way to avoid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	25th.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	203719

26th winds rebuild again as forecast

Name:	26th.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	203720

27th Large hole of light air due east (of the current position). Routing choice to go above or below. The winds for the upper route are stronger and more solid (directly attached to a significant low) from the late 27th into the 29th. While the winds on the lower routes are a bit more speculative and depend on the development and forecasting of weaker features - and if they try to get south and don't go fast enough they will get trapped in the hole.

Name:	27th.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	203721

To further complicate things . . . that huge low is forecast to create some 'interference' with a high pressure along their route - initially a large pocket of light winds but then potentially easterly winds. That is all speculative at this point but would suggest if possible not adding too much extra distance chasing wind.
Old 25-11-2019, 06:50   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldKetch View Post
Terje, may I remind you that 6 days ago (19-11-2019, 09:24) it was you who deliberately posted a picture of her political message? You knew very well that it was not OK, yet you did it with a big smile "Ooops: Please excuse me for breaching the OP's restrictions on climate related messages here."
So let's calm down and get back to weather.

I hoped that you had forgotten that

I have chosen to inform you here about what our friends on board LA VAGABONDE post on social media. As I think this is interesting to understand the mood and the atmosphere on board. Which again is something that we all know is important for a successful and safe journey.
I did say: Excuse me. And I more than happily repeat that!

So here it goes again, latest post from Nikki Henderson.
Very pleased with the sailing, and trying as best as she can to be positive to the menu. We also learn that everyone on board takes their turn at the helm.
Well, except Lenny, of course
Quote:
Day 13

Today is our halfway day as the crow flies. We very much feel in terms of time we are well ahead of that - but nevertheless - celebrations await. Wish us fair winds - and I’ll report back later what we get up to!

Yesterday was probably our first day of what I’d call a consistent sailing. This has been such a treat after so many days of reefing, shaking out reefs, furling, hoisting and dropping various spinnakers and pouring over grib files. Finally we could relax into the flow of the day without feeling so on edge.

Around lunchtime we shook out all our reefs and at dusk we popped one in. Apart from that - it’s just been straight line sailing with small adjustments. Really fast too - averaging around 9 knots, and overnight we have been even faster - this boat loves a beam reach. For the sailors out there, we have had between 18 and 28 knots 120 degree TWA (true wind angle), so glorious beam reaching with a following sea on our port quarter.

The nature of the sailing meant Riley spent the day catching up on sleep, and taking some time to write journals, organise belongings, write emails and so on. Svante and Elayna held watch for a few hours each - it’s good to share the load. We all had a work out. We discovered that a fridge that is turned off is not a great place to store vegetables ... not enough air flow = one cabbage down. The otherwise most invincible passage vegetable - normally they last forever! Ate an unusual but delicious dinner of sweet potato, cous cous and vegan sausages. Almost reminiscent of a good bangers, mash and onion gravy for the Brit followers out there! A good end to a simple day.

(Lenny looks excited to be halfway ... might have something to do with the cookies Elayna plans to bake today? &#127850
Old 25-11-2019, 06:56   #705

No to editorial censorship , please just treat the OP with the same respect which which he treats the transtangentalists , can we not be trusted to behave with some common decency , and sense
Closed Thread