Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 11:40   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
ISailor and Navionics with YDWG-2 dongle and AIS HA-102

Hi all,

I like to connect ISailor to my NMEA0183/seatalk1 with the YDWG-2 nmea to wifi dongle and also get my AIS data from my Matsutec HA-102 into ISailor.
Purchased unlocked all AIS and NMEA features in ISailor.

How do I do this with ISailor?
Tried a UDP connection with port 2000 on the YDWG-2 and put the same in ISailor. He connects but I don‘t have the nmea nor AIS data in isailor...

Navionics: I connected via UDP and port 2000. I get the depth info displayed from NMEA but don‘t get any AIS data. How do I do this?

Could you please help, as simple as possible for an IT noobie please
Thank you.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 12:46   #2

Boat: Other people's boats
Re: ISailor and Navionics with YDWG-2 dongle and AIS HA-102

Haven't played with these directly, but it looks like you can point a web browser at the gateway and see what data is coming into the device. That at least would tell you whether the data is making it that far through the pipe.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 13:57   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Hi all,

I like to connect ISailor to my NMEA0183/seatalk1 with the YDWG-2 nmea to wifi dongle and also get my AIS data from my Matsutec HA-102 into ISailor.
Purchased unlocked all AIS and NMEA features in ISailor.

How do I do this with ISailor?
Tried a UDP connection with port 2000 on the YDWG-2 and put the same in ISailor. He connects but I don‘t have the nmea nor AIS data in isailor...

Navionics: I connected via UDP and port 2000. I get the depth info displayed from NMEA but don‘t get any AIS data. How do I do this?

Could you please help, as simple as possible for an IT noobie please
Thank you.

Regarding AIS data, confirm that your AIS data source (the Matsutec HA-102) is providing its data to your Seatalk network. We have an ICOM AIS unit with NMEA 0183 output and we run it through an https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/ to get the AIS data onto our Seatalk network. If your Matsutec is directly connected to your chart plotter then there won’t be any AIS data on your Seatalk network.

Next, as the other poster mentioned, navigate to web gauges and confirm that the YDWG has got the data. We’ve set ours up with a static IP in client mode, as we have an existing boat WiFi network. But web gauges will work with an access point connection. Note, you need to configure NMEA Server 1 for web gauges to work.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1626468849.903244.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	242163

Once your web gauges are populated then work on the app connections. We use port 1457 with UDP, but as long as it’s the same in both the YDWG and iSailor or Navionics then it should work.

Name:	IMG_1626468925.657569.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	242164

Name:	IMG_1626468933.408857.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	242165

This is what it looks like in iSailor

Name:	IMG_1626469012.755134.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	242166
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 15:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Regarding AIS data, confirm that your AIS data source (the Matsutec HA-102) is providing its data to your Seatalk network. We have an ICOM AIS unit with NMEA 0183 output and we run it through an https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/ to get the AIS data onto our Seatalk network. If your Matsutec is directly connected to your chart plotter then there won’t be any AIS data on your Seatalk network.

Next, as the other poster mentioned, navigate to web gauges and confirm that the YDWG has got the data. We’ve set ours up with a static IP in client mode, as we have an existing boat WiFi network. But web gauges will work with an access point connection. Note, you need to configure NMEA Server 1 for web gauges to work.
Attachment 242163

Once your web gauges are populated then work on the app connections. We use port 1457 with UDP, but as long as it’s the same in both the YDWG and iSailor or Navionics then it should work.
Attachment 242164

Attachment 242165

This is what it looks like in iSailor
Attachment 242166
Excellent post, could get the „normal“ NMEA data into ISailor and Navionics sorted
Navionics just has depth and the sonar shown, works like described
ISailor I can get GPS and heading data now so I assume rest works too.

Regarding AIS I think you are right, it’s connect directly to the Raymarine MFD e7. Thought that put the data on the network....

I have 2 of the original Raymarine converters, they should do the same then your actisense.

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...ter-kit-e22158

Have a cat, One Converter is at the Navstation in the salon and 2nd one at the helm where the e7 is. The 2nd converts the seatalk 1 to NG for the MFD e7. The AIS looks like goes directly to e7.
The other at the navstation actually is only for the YDWG dongle. Does the YDWG dongle need to go into blue or white (2nd one from outside) connector of the converter. Had it in blue but switched from blue connector (terminated it then) to white and I got NMEA data on ISailor. Have the N2K dongle plug with a adapter cable to seatalk NG that goes then into the converter.
Can I connect the Matsutec AIS directly to that, I assume the yellow connector in the middle? Does the AIS still work on the MFD e7?
Old 17-07-2021, 04:45   #5

Boat: Outremer 55L
ISailor and Navionics with YDWG-2 dongle and AIS HA-102

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Excellent post, could get the „normal“ NMEA data into ISailor and Navionics sorted
Navionics just has depth and the sonar shown, works like described
ISailor I can get GPS and heading data now so I assume rest works too.

Regarding AIS I think you are right, it’s connect directly to the Raymarine MFD e7. Thought that put the data on the network....

I have 2 of the original Raymarine converters, they should do the same then your actisense.

https://hudsonmarine.co.uk/products/...ter-kit-e22158

Have a cat, One Converter is at the Navstation in the salon and 2nd one at the helm where the e7 is. The 2nd converts the seatalk 1 to NG for the MFD e7. The AIS looks like goes directly to e7.
The other at the navstation actually is only for the YDWG dongle. Does the YDWG dongle need to go into blue or white (2nd one from outside) connector of the converter. Had it in blue but switched from blue connector (terminated it then) to white and I got NMEA data on ISailor. Have the N2K dongle plug with a adapter cable to seatalk NG that goes then into the converter.
Can I connect the Matsutec AIS directly to that, I assume the yellow connector in the middle? Does the AIS still work on the MFD e7?

YDWG and any other instrument or data cable goes into the white connectors. Blue connectors are only for terminators or blue backbone cables.

We had an e95 that took the NMEA 0183 AIS output directly from our AIS unit. That data was only in the MFD and did not get sent onto the Seatalk network. We now have an Axiom+ MFD and it doesn’t have any NMEA 0183 input, hence we got the Actisense unit and now feed the AIS data to the Seatalk network. From there both the YDWG and the MFD get the AIS data.

So I guess you need a multiplexer to get the NMEA 0183 AIS data both onto your Seatalk network for the YDWG to get it and still directly into your e7 as I expect it won’t understand the AIS data from the Seatalk network.

From the URL you provided the yellow connector is for a Seatalk 1 device. That is not, AFAIK, suitable for NMEA 0183 output. I see that the same company has a similar VHF NMEA 0183 converter with a yellow connector that could work, though note that AIS data must be at 38400 baud while GPS and similar data over NMEA are at 4800 baud. If the converter doesn’t support the higher speed then the AIS data won’t be passed.

Please note that all this is my best efforts. Like you, I’m not an expert at this stuff.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 06:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
YDWG and any other instrument or data cable goes into the white connectors. Blue connectors are only for terminators or blue backbone cables.

We had an e95 that took the NMEA 0183 AIS output directly from our AIS unit. That data was only in the MFD and did not get sent onto the Seatalk network. We now have an Axiom+ MFD and it doesn’t have any NMEA 0183 input, hence we got the Actisense unit and now feed the AIS data to the Seatalk network. From there both the YDWG and the MFD get the AIS data.

So I guess you need a multiplexer to get the NMEA 0183 AIS data both onto your Seatalk network for the YDWG to get it and still directly into your e7 as I expect it won’t understand the AIS data from the Seatalk network.

From the URL you provided the yellow connector is for a Seatalk 1 device. That is not, AFAIK, suitable for NMEA 0183 output. I see that the same company has a similar VHF NMEA 0183 converter with a yellow connector that could work, though note that AIS data must be at 38400 baud while GPS and similar data over NMEA are at 4800 baud. If the converter doesn’t support the higher speed then the AIS data won’t be passed.

Please note that all this is my best efforts. Like you, I’m not an expert at this stuff.
Thanks again for your best efforts, better then mine
But sailing means never stop learning and what’s broken can only be fixed
Familiar with B&G and NMEA 2000.
Like even more the simple, reliable and no fuzz ST60s and Type1 linear drive AP and happy to have them but all this seatalk,1,NG,Ethernet bla bla nightmare I am just at the beginning of understanding how this all connects and works...well all new will be Non Raymarine as the new stuff sucks anyhow.
Using the MFd e7 with it’s 7“ Micky mouse display only to mirror on the IPad Pro 12.9 and operate everything via iPad.
That’s why I wanna use ISailor too as I should be able to remotely steer the AP st6001plus with it what I cannot do with Ray control App and have a full chartplotter backup.
That also means the YDWG needs to work both ways.
Regarding the AIS won‘t it be better I connect it to a NMEA 0183 to wifi Bridge , the Yakker for 70$ seems the cheapest option and then further to the e7. No use for AIS on the seatalk 1 network anyhow...the yakker will only broadcast AIS NMEA 0183 as it’s not connected to the network otherwise, just to avoid data conflicts.
Yakker

Tags
ais, navionics, sail