Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2020, 19:01   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
So what's the deal with my two anchors?

Hi all -

Just got a new to me Tayana 37 and sitting up front are two QCR anchors - one 45 lbs, one 35 lbs.

Now previously in my boat owning experience, I've had a MacGregor 25 foot lake sailor and a Cal25 I sailed around the Los Angeles / Channel islands. Both have (had) one good anchor.

Forgive what might be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but why would a Tayana 37 have two QCR's with only a 10 lb. differences in weight?

I was under the impression a second anchor was usually either a different make for different conditions, or a much better "storm anchor" (though thinking about why your main anchor wouldn't be your best anchor makes my head hurt).

If it makes a difference, I'm living in Texas now and the boat is in Kemah.

Thanks for helping a newbie to the "multiple anchor" family...lol
tradrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 19:10   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: So what's the deal with my two anchors?

No good reasons that I can think of. The 45 is marginal for a T37. The 35 would only be useful in light conditions. Maybe the previous owner used the 35 as a kind of kellet.

My Rafiki-37, which is very similar to the T37, also came with a 45 CQR. I used it for one season, and then swapped it out for a 55# Rocna. Much better bower choice.

If you want to keep the 45 CQR I'd pair it with a Danforth/Fortress. But the better option is to get one of the newer style scoop type of anchors (Rocna, Mantus, Spade, Manson, etc.).
Old 04-05-2020, 19:14   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No good reasons that I can think of. The 45 is marginal for a T37. The 35 would only be useful in light conditions. Maybe the previous owner used the 35 as a kind of kellet.

My Rafiki-37, which is very similar to the T37, also came with a 45 CQR. I used it for one season, and then swapped it out for a 55# Rocna. Much better bower choice.

If you want to keep the 45 CQR I'd pair it with a Danforth/Fortress. But the better option is to get one of the newer style scoop type of anchors (Rocna, Mantus, Spade, Manson, etc.).
Or perhaps go one better and switch to a Sarca Excell!

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 19:17   #4

Quote:

Thanks! That was going to be my follow up question. I thought 35 was way under weight for my boat and 45 was a minimum. I was planning on dumping the 35 unless somebody here came on with a good reason to keep it. I'll look into the newer anchor choices out there.

I'll refrain from asking the best way to start an anchor argument on a boating forum for now...lol
Old 05-05-2020, 00:59   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post

I'll refrain from asking the best way to start an anchor argument on a boating forum for now...lol
Say something like this:

Get those farming implements off your bow and replace with a proper anchor designed to hold in the soft mud and sand bottoms you will encounter off the Texas coast. In that type of bottom, plows do exactly what their name implies. [emoji44]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:02   #6

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Just what I'd would do. Keep the 35 as a lunch hook and get a new better main anchor.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:04   #7

About a week ago (Forum topic: locking boat to the dock because boat owner was afraid of theft https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-232922.html), someone suggested deploying a small anchor from the bow (see Post #32) while at the dock - he called it an angel - the purpose of which was to prevent theft and/or provide a backup should some yobbo untie your lines.

I'd never heard of an "angel" until that moment.
But maybe that's what your undersized anchor is for?

As for me, I agreed with the guy on that thread who said that he was likely to be the person who would deploy an angel, forget about it, and then wouldn't be able to figure out why he couldn't leave the dock once he'd cast off his lines...

I agree with Mike. Get yourself a nice Rocna 55. That's a gorgeous boat. You don't want to mess around with undersized ground tackle going into hurricane season.

Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:54   #8

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
Hi all -

Just got a new to me Tayana 37 and sitting up front are two QCR anchors - one 45 lbs, one 35 lbs.

Now previously in my boat owning experience, I've had a MacGregor 25 foot lake sailor and a Cal25 I sailed around the Los Angeles / Channel islands. Both have (had) one good anchor.

Forgive what might be a stupid question with an obvious answer, but why would a Tayana 37 have two QCR's with only a 10 lb. differences in weight?

I was under the impression a second anchor was usually either a different make for different conditions, or a much better "storm anchor" (though thinking about why your main anchor wouldn't be your best anchor makes my head hurt).

If it makes a difference, I'm living in Texas now and the boat is in Kemah.

Thanks for helping a newbie to the "multiple anchor" family...lol
You are correct in your thinking about the reason for a second anchor. Another reason for a second anchor is in case you ever lose the first one. It has happened.

If you decide to go cruising, I would definitely have two anchors on the bow. If you are just daysailing Galveston Bay then there's not much point in a second anchor.

And I'll throw some praise to my buddies at Mantus, who are located next to you on Anders Lane. We use their anchor as our primary and kept the CQR that came with the boat as our second anchor.

Best of luck! Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:41   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Two anchors on the bow is useful, but the current thinking is that the weight of the second anchor and chain would be better put to a larger single anchor often with longer chain. A large single anchor has higher holding capacity than two smaller anchors, is much easier to deploy, and keeps the boats swing circle similar to surrounding boats that are very likely to also be using a single anchor. The longer chain allows deeper anchorages to be used. All these advantages can be achieved with less bow weight than a boat carrying two anchors on the bow.

This change in thinking has developed because modern, versatile anchors that work well in a large range of substrates have been developed. This has largely removed the need to carry anchors of different designs to match different substrates. At the same time powerful electric anchor winches have become common, allowing heavier weights to be easily managed by smaller crew.

The major drawback is the loss of the ability to immediately drop a second anchor should the main anchor need to be cut away. This can be easily solved with a lightweight anchor such as a Fortress on predominantly (or even all) rope rode. This combination also has many other uses. While the Fortress can serve as a temporary replacement for a lost main anchor, long distance cruising boats should consider also carrying spare primary anchor, but this can be stored away from the bow and lower down where the weight has less impact on sailing performance. Anchors with removable shanks such as the Mantus and Spade make this option much easier.

The above state of the art solution will be an expensive upgrade from your current dual CQR anchors, but the change would result in much better anchor security, while at the same time making anchoring easier.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Two anchors on the bow is useful, but the current thinking is that the weight of the second anchor and chain would be better put to a larger single anchor often with longer chain. A large single anchor has higher holding capacity than two smaller anchors, is much easier to deploy, and keeps the boats swing circle similar to surrounding boats that are very likely to also be using a single anchor. The longer chain allows deeper anchorages to be used. All these advantages can be achieved with less bow weight than a boat carrying two anchors on the bow.

This change in thinking has developed because modern, versatile anchors that work well in a large range of substrates have been developed. This has largely removed the need to carry anchors of different designs to match different substrates. At the same time powerful electric anchor winches have become common, allowing heavier weights to be easily managed by smaller crew.

The major drawback is the loss of the ability to immediately drop a second anchor should the main anchor need to be cut away. This can be easily solved with a lightweight anchor such as a Fortress on predominantly (or even all) rope rode. This combination also has many other uses. While the Fortress can serve as a temporary replacement for a lost main anchor, long distance cruising boats should consider also carrying spare primary anchor, but this can be stored away from the bow and lower down where the weight has less impact on sailing performance. Anchors with removable shanks such as the Mantus and Spade make this option much easier.

The above state of the art solution will be an expensive upgrade from your current dual CQR anchors, but the change would result in much better anchor security, while at the same time making anchoring easier.

Nuthin' more to say.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:52   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

You can see anchor recommendations for Rocna at the site below. Other manufacturers will have similar charts. I think that the recommendations are reasonably conservative. Manufacturers don't want their customers losing their boat because the anchor was not up to it. Spent some time in Namibia with Peter Smith the guy who invented the Rocna. He believed there was no need to go beyond the recommendations, which actually means less income for him. We circumnavigated with a Mason Supreme of the recommended size and it was wonderful. I think there a lot of really good anchors to be had now. Prices do vary though.
https://www.fisheriessupply.com/rocna-anchors
Old 05-05-2020, 07:29   #12

Thanks for all the replies! We are planning on cruising extensively starting next winter, so we want to set up the boat now with that in mind.

I know we're going to have two anchors because - if you've ever met me - you KNOW that two anchors means I'll only need one, but one anchor means I'll definitely need a second at the worst possible time.

But I REALLY like the idea of less weight in the bow (the TY fuel tanks are up that way too)
Old 05-05-2020, 07:42   #13

Just as an example, we carry four anchors.

#1. Bower: #55 Rocna
#2. Spare/backup bower: Danforth (not sure the size ... big)
#3. Stern/kedge: 20 kg Bruce (on its own rode)
#4. Storm/kedge: X-Large Fortress

We carry three rodes:
#1. (main) 220' all 3/8" chain
#2. (backup) 300' made of 60' chain (3/8") and nylon.
#3. (kedge) 200' made of 12' chain (1/2") and nylon.

When I buy a new bower anchor I'll be going up one more size. The #55 Rocna has never let us down, but I now know my boat and crew can handle the next size up with very little additional effort, so why not.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:13   #14

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

As an old guy in love with boats for 50 years or so, like many, I constantly ogle other boats, especially the salty ones.

Salty boats with 2 CQRs on the bow has always been a common sight (heck, I've bought a few and immediately removed those anchors) and like the OP, I always wondered why.

I can speculate a million reasons, but I would love to hear from any other old guys the real reason for this.

Sure, it's not common practice now, but it was. Why?

Come on old guys, share your wisdom and show off your knowledge of boating history!
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:22   #15

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Quote:

Bower and kellet? You sent me to google for both though I still don't get bower, which is a shady, sylvan enclave.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor