Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2020, 09:59   #61
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23
Re: So what's the deal with my two anchors?

Having two similar anchors can be convenient if you anchor in a tidal river or other reversing current a lot. You have an upstream anchor and a downstream anchor so they don't have to reset at each tide change
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:44   #62

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would move the 45 to the stern as a stern anchor.

The 35 would become a kedge with 0-35’ of chain and live in the lazarrette or it could be on the bow with more chain and be deployed on 1:1.5or2.0 scope to prevent sailing back and forth when hanging to the main anchor.

For a main bower I would get a Spade100 or 120. Or a Mantus 45lb or 55lb. SV-Panope rates them highest.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 17:59   #63

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I agree Grace. If there's a rule to be found here it's read kmacdonald's, and then do the opposite .
At your own peril of course.

I do of course have all the new generation anchor manufacturers in my corner.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 19:23   #64

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'

Not nearly an old salt, but I have two CQR’s 45 secondary 200’ rode and CQR 60 with 200’ 5/16th HT chain, on the bow and a delta 35 in the stern locker with 100’ of rode. I sleep VERY well and haven’t drug once even in fast tidal areas like Ponce and St Augustine inlet areas. But I assure I set it right ....Just my opinion. Boat is a 13 ton and 45’....
Rubicon King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 20:34   #65

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon King View Post
Not nearly an old salt, but I have two CQR’s 45 secondary 200’ rode and CQR 60 with 200’ 5/16th HT chain, on the bow and a delta 35 in the stern locker with 100’ of rode. I sleep VERY well and haven’t drug once even in fast tidal areas like Ponce and St Augustine inlet areas. But I assure I set it right ....Just my opinion. Boat is a 13 ton and 45’....
To be clear, I don't think the CQR is a bad anchor. It was Top Banana in its day. It's just that the newer generation of anchors are better -- in just about every way (except perhaps cost ... especially if you already own a CQR ).

For the record, I cruised with a CQR for seven or eight years. I only dragged a few times with it, and never catastrophically. But it definitely required more skill, patience and luck to properly set, and then to dig in.

In some ways I think starting with a CQR/Danforth combo as my bower anchors helped me develop good anchoring skills. You had to put more time and effort into getting these anchors to work optimally, compared to how relatively easy the new-gen anchors function.
Old 13-05-2020, 05:25   #66

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I've always understood the CQR to have reasonable holding power (but not as good as most newer designs), but that it's big flaw is that it can be hard to set well. But once you do, you're probably fine.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 06:16   #67

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Well said.

Boat ownership/maintenance is a dynamic process. The total system is either improving or deteriorating, with short periods at equilibrium (maybe). These decisions depend wholly on what you are starting with on the boat. Then you consider where you are at with the financial bank and the time bank with short and long term goals that improve seaworthiness, life onboard and durability (bullet proof). Then there is the type of passage that you are preparing for to consider and things go on or come off. I find the differences to be elusive, and what happens is typically more dependent on what I feel like doing, and I am OK with that as long as the boat is seaworthy. Sure, I would like a bit more chain and a new longer rode, but these will come after the windless and it's breaker are removed and replaced. I was given the chain for free, the rode I have was on the boat, and the Danforth on the stern pulpit was on the boat in a locker. I would like to replace my Danforth with a Fortress but it probably will not happen unless I stumble on a good deal.

I agree and doubt that anyone could put up a good argument that a CQRish anchor is just plain not seaworthy. Also they do have a very traditional look on the pulpit of a more traditional vessel, which is quite aesthetically pleasing. They just look right up there. This may also be a valid consideration.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor