Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 09:47   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Rocna repositioned

LMAO When everyone used CQR's and knock off plows along came the revolutionary 'BRUCE Anchor' as used and designed for oil rig tenders etc,,,,,,

Evolution dictates change and moving on with design largely by trial and error... NOTHING wrong with that or we would still be using a wooden kedge, (with balsa shank on the chinese versions)!!!

May we evolve and may we develop GOOD ground tackle through that development..
Old 07-06-2013, 10:07   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the only constant is change....

it is fun to watch when changes occur.....not to mention the cycles thereof and there to....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:38   #33

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Danforth AND a Fortress?

Danforth ready to go on the stern rail. Fortress disassembled and stowed for the "OMG" moments.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Heck! If setting quickly is the thing that makes a New Age anchor, them my old Danforth sure qualifys !! Cus it sets with a big bang always quick! If the bottom is right !! LOL Maybe we need a better guideline then setting quickly to make a new age anchor maybe ???
Just be careful anchoring where oyster shell or any or other piece of debris can fowl the flukes and wind shifts, and ....

Best indication of a good anchor, in my opinion, is it's ability to reset in a 180 degree wind shift, period.

I'm glad you're happy with your danforth. Mine put me on a beach twice when a big wind shift yanked it out and it failed to reset. I now use a 22lb Bruce and a 16lb Bruce. And after 12 years it's never been pulled out by a wind shift.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:27   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
"seems my good old original bruce still sets faster and for longer in a good breeze than many of these overly touted fancy pants expensive ones..."
No comment, I just like the proper use of "fancy pants." I thought I was the only one left using this expression.

Discussing Anchors sure is like talking religion. Absolute devotion.... right up until it lets you down.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:48   #36
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Discussing Anchors sure is like talking religion. Absolute devotion.... right up until it lets you down.
On the net very much so, though not my experience out in the real world sharing a beer with long term cruisers. If a piece of kit has failings there's no loyalty! Even if anchors aren't discussed anywhere near as much as which particular piece of your boat is broken today and where the best back street fabrication shops are
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:47   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Anyone have good/bad experiences with a Delta anchor.
I have a smaller one for my backup. I've used it a couple of times in heavier winds and it drags back a bit, albeit very slowly.

In general though if someone stole my manson supreme and I couldn't get another "new generation hoop" anchor I'd go with a delta. It's hardly "bad"; I know several people who love them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 16:13   #38
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
When the kerfuffle erupted a couple of years ago over Rocna's covert decision to reduce shank steel quality below that specified by the founder while pretending not to, it was suggested that the new, cheaper Rocna just needed to re-position itself as a cheaper and lower quality Manson Supreme.

Apparently that is what has happened. In looking at Fisheries Supply in Seattle, a Manson Supreme 45# is priced, with my discount, at $452.00 while the 44# Rocna only cost $380 - a reasonable discount for an anchor a little more than 10% weaker in the shank than the Manson even before taking into account the slighter thicker shank of the Supreme. That net 15% or so weaker Rocna anchor is 15% or so cheaper. It used to be that the Rocna sold for more than the Manson, which given the quality differential made no sense. Now that is reversed. Wow! Market price transparency works.

I'm not a fan of hoop anchors, since so many other designs don't have them and in many cases hold at least as good or better I honestly can't figure out what the hoop is for. But if your heart is set on one, you now have a perfectly rational buying decision.

I'm not sure where the Delta fits into Delfin's analysis but a Rocna has the same production costs as any anchor made in China. The Rocna has a cast fluke to which is welded a shank and a roll bar. I believe the Delta is a cast toe to which is welded the rear plate of the fluke (fabricated from bent mild steel) and the shank welded to the fluke. Basically production and raw material costs should be similar. In fact most anchors made in China have a similar cost basis.

The Supreme is made by Lloyds approved welders. There is a paper trail in Manson's production meeting Lloyds requirments (if Lloyds want to know which materials and who were the welders last Friday - Manson has the documentation0. The Supreme's shank is defined and advertised.

Maybe one should not compare the cost of the Rocna to the Supreme but to the cost of any other anchor made in China, of which the Dleta is but one. Maybe one should consider that with the Supreme you have an idea that it is made properly - and making it properly costs money.

Most people manufacture in China to keep costs down, which is why computers, cameras and clothes are so cheap. Some or all of the savings seem to be passed to the consumer - so our local industries might be decimated but the consumer is winning at least in the short term.

Painting an anchor

So is paying over the odds a perfect rationale for buying one?

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Who cares.... apart from the shoppers for 'The Latest and Greatest'...
<<<< Cynical booga..
My anchor is stamped April 2013. Is that the expiration date? lol
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:47   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
My anchor is stamped April 2013. Is that the expiration date? lol
Don't worry, all expiry dates have a bit of caution written into them

Jonathan
Old 25-06-2013, 09:06   #41

Boat: Palmer-Johnson 30, EXEAT

Used a Delta for many years. Held well, always reset in a 180 deg. shift. Only problems were in getting the initial set; sometimes we just plowed the whole anchorage, back and forth. Got one of the first Boss anchors to hit the US last year. Love it. Sets instantaneously. But with all this talk of bent shanks.....do this: compare the shank on a Boss with that of a similar size Supreme. No comparison. The Boss shank is WAY thinner. I'm sure it cuts through the seabed better but is it strong enough to resist bending in a strong side pull on a deep set? No issues so far.......
OwenMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 22:52   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenMcCall View Post
Used a Delta for many years. Held well, always reset in a 180 deg. shift. Only problems were in getting the initial set; sometimes we just plowed the whole anchorage, back and forth. Got one of the first Boss anchors to hit the US last year. Love it. Sets instantaneously. But with all this talk of bent shanks.....do this: compare the shank on a Boss with that of a similar size Supreme. No comparison. The Boss shank is WAY thinner. I'm sure it cuts through the seabed better but is it strong enough to resist bending in a strong side pull on a deep set? No issues so far.......
I know this is impertinent but if you think the Boss shank is 'too' thin - why did you buy it?

J
Old 27-06-2013, 18:35   #43

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Who cares.... apart from the shoppers for 'The Latest and Greatest'...
<<<< Cynical booga..

Not quite true Bootman.

When I transitioned from my Hunter 30 to a Silverton AC 40, I moved my 44# Bruce from the sail to power. The Bruce did hold in sand but not ell grass. Because the anchor was on the small side anyway for my boat, I shelved it and purchased a 55# Delta. Essentially lost a season of anchoring with the Delta; it plowed, slowly, but it still plowed searching for a new place of our boat to be.

I began the following season with a brand new 88# Delta purchased from Defender. I was sooooo sure I had solved my anchoring problem. At this point, I was about $900 into Delta. Well, Mr. 88# Delta did no better keeping my boat in the spot I anchored than Mr. 55# Delta did.

It sucks big time when you want to anchor knowing that you MUST keep checking to see if you're slipping.

Against my better judgement I moved from the Delta family to the so called high tech anchor. This was during the time Rocna went from "the very best anchor ever designed by man" to an awe $hit, the shafts bend easily! But the Rocna always get praises for holding, bent shafts or not.

Anyway, Rocna turned me off after reading all the hype from the commercial posts to finally, "you should not trust them!" I moved over to the Manson by purchasing an 80# Manson Supreme. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I CAN AGAIN SLEEP AT NIGHT WHILE AT ANCHOR.

No, I have zero intentions of restarting the anchor wars. I just wanted to share my reasons for purchasing a Manson Supreme and it had ziltch to do with needs to have the latest and so called greatest.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:43   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Anyone have good/bad experiences with a Delta anchor.

Yes, see my post #43 in this thread

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 18:48   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
LMAO When everyone used CQR's and knock off plows along came the revolutionary 'BRUCE Anchor' as used and designed for oil rig tenders etc,,,,,,

Evolution dictates change and moving on with design largely by trial and error... NOTHING wrong with that or we would still be using a wooden kedge, (with balsa shank on the chinese versions)!!!

May we evolve and may we develop GOOD ground tackle through that development..
Good affordable ground tackle is what we have developed.
ternmarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna