Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2013, 16:28   #106

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Rocna Repositioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
I had expected that last question of mine to generate at least a few responses. I guess that the people on this board don't mess around with modifying their own kit as much as I would have expected. That sort of surprises me. Sailors usually tend to be a resourceful lot.
Might have something to do with no one ever having seen a Kodiak plow!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-07-2013, 16:31   #107

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I had expected that last question of mine to generate at least a few responses.
I have never seen a Kodiak plow, but I understand it one of the Delta copies. I have seen a lot of Delta copies, there are many minor variations.

All the models I have seen orientate themselves in the correct position to set without a roll bar. So I cannot see any advantage in adding a roll bar.

The limitation of his sort of design seems to be lower holding power even when set well. The convex blade offers limited resistance especially is softer substrates.

Wihout seeing one in in action I do not know if these characteristics are appropriate to this model, but my generic advice for this sort of anchor is to go large. The Delta copies normally set well and with a large fluke area they are a good and cheap option.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 16:35   #108

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The Delta copies normally set well and with a large fluke area they are a good and cheap option.
I have a 22lb Delta I want to sell.

I can sell you a nice bridge too.........
Old 16-07-2013, 17:00   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have a 22lb Delta I want to sell.

I can sell you a nice bridge too.........
I must admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the Delta. It always sets well.
The problem is that even when set it can drag (slowly) in soft and even in medium substrates.

Most of the complaints come from those that anchor in soft substrates,
especially when the density does not increase with depth.

If you want to anchor in these conditions you need to go very big with a Delta anchor.
One big plus is that even in hard substrates it will set, which many similar cheap anchors will not do.

There are better anchors available, but for low cost versatile performance Delta, Kobra and Bugal (copies) are not bad options. If cruising an isolated area with soft substrates there are much better alternatives.

I am still waiting for the title on the last bridge that I purchased, but i am assured it will be sent from Nigeria when the check clears
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 18:43   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ternmarine View Post
]
the main point is that by altering any anchor you alter the balance of it and the result is that it does not work as well as intended.
That is why I had planned to bolt my experimental hoop to the sacrificial anchor, rather than weld it. If the prototype modification doesn't work out, I can unbolt the new piece & be back to original equipment, except for a few 1/4" holes.

I'm also thinking that the original design may work well in some bottoms where the hoop might cause problems (like heavy grass), but the hoop might work well in some areas where the original anchor wanted to flip on its back & drag. A bolt-on modification might let me change the configuration of the anchor for different conditions.

It's all just ideas at this point.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 19:08   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Might have something to do with no one ever having seen a Kodiak plow!

Cheers,

Jim
Good point. I haven't seen many either.

Apparently, they were OEM supplied on some Sea Ray boats. A guy in my area got rid of his Sea Ray & had a box of stuff left over, because the buyer chewed him down on the sale price. I sort of ended up with this anchor.

I found a place on the net called anchor saver that lists them. You can find a picture there.

It's pretty much a dead knockoff of a Delta, with one exception. It has 2 different mounting holes for the rode that are about an inch or two apart. This lets you change the angle of attack that the plow point goes after the bottom with. Depending on how hard or soft the bottom is, changing the attachment point sometimes helps it to dig in better.

Has anybody had a genuine Delta flip on it's back & just drag across a clean bottom?
Old 17-07-2013, 08:43   #112

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I must admit I have a bit of a soft spot for the Delta. It always sets well.
The problem is that even when set it can drag (slowly) in soft and even in medium substrates.

Most of the complaints come from those that anchor in soft substrates,
especially when the density does not increase with depth.

If you want to anchor in these conditions you need to go very big with a Delta anchor.
One big plus is that even in hard substrates it will set, which many similar cheap anchors will not do.

There are better anchors available, but for low cost versatile performance Delta, Kobra and Bugal (copies) are not bad options. If cruising an isolated area with soft substrates there are much better alternatives.

I am still waiting for the title on the last bridge that I purchased, but i am assured it will be sent from Nigeria when the check clears
I can appreciate what you say and know others that seem to like their Deltas. I had enough times that it would not hold well so I went "modern".
Old 17-07-2013, 21:13   #113

I did a little scratching around for info on the Kodiak plow. It appears that Kodiak was a division of south coast marine, which I think was located around Clearwater FL somewhere. Their website was southcoastmarine dot com. That DNS entry no longer seems to exist. It would appear that Kodiak was just another copycat manufacturer that came & went with little fanfare.
Old 21-07-2013, 17:44   #114

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 300

Quote:
That is why I had planned to bolt my experimental hoop to the sacrificial anchor, rather than weld it. If the prototype modification doesn't work out, I can unbolt the new piece & be back to original equipment, except for a few 1/4" holes.

I'm also thinking that the original design may work well in some bottoms where the hoop might cause problems (like heavy grass), but the hoop might work well in some areas where the original anchor wanted to flip on its back & drag. A bolt-on modification might let me change the configuration of the anchor for different conditions.

It's all just ideas at this point.
I think this is a worthy design idea, I was thinking the same thing myself, though for different reasons. Seems the roll bar adds surface area, which prevents dragging in soft bottoms, an area the Delta is known to be weak in. As for the additional weight, seems to me you simply need to find the balance point on the anchor, then add enough weight to the shank to offset the weight added to the back side of the plow to keep it balanced. Needs to be thin weight added in such a way that it won't prevent the shank from digging, though.

Another thought was a hybrid convex/concave design. Imagine the front tip of a Delta, but the back of the plow turns concave. I think I'll call it the Tricerotops.
jigray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 20:06   #115

I think that the original problem with this anchor was that the balance point was too far back. That's why it can flip on it's back & get caught that way. If I use 1/2" chain, I almost have enough tip weight to flip it back over on a flat bottom, but not quite enough. Maybe a bolt-on tip weight would be a better idea in the first place. The shank already has a spare factory-original hole that I could use for a mounting point. I have a lead ladle, so I could cast a custom weight if I wanted to.

I think that I need to do a little more brain storming before I pull out the drill & disturb a nicely galvanized piece of steel plate.

Tags
rocna