Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 13:44   #136
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Mantus Anchor or Rocna ?

Scapa - Single Malt Whisky from the north of Scotland, Scapa is more famous as the anchorage for the allied fleet during both WW1 and WW11 and the location for the scuttling of the German fleet at the close of WW1

But to play with words - scarper, to escape (it was commonly used in Scotland) - similar pronunciation to Scapa.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 09:40   #137
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Guy/Gals check this out just got back from Boca Del Toro and tested Mantus against the competition on a really hard bottom. All the competitor anchors where donated by the local cruising community...

Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 14:15   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
Scapa - Single Malt Whisky from the north of Scotland, Scapa is more famous as the anchorage for the allied fleet during both WW1 and WW11 and the location for the scuttling of the German fleet at the close of WW1
Jonathan
Know about whisky (best taken double of course), know about anchorage and its history, know even about brand of luxury casual clothing...
But somebody earlier used it in such a way, that I started to belive there is kind of local, ancien type of anchor so called. Tried to Google for "Scapa anchor" with no success. My broken, rotten English....

DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 00:18   #139
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

There are around 100 different single malt whisky brands currently available. Many are limited edition and scarce, a few barrels. Some are currently unavailable and are in barrels maturing. Many of the more scarce have a very high alcohol content.

Best taken as a double, goes without saying, best taken with water from Scotland but a decent still water will suffice - without ice.

I was brought up there, now of course single malts are a real treasure. If you are in this neck of the woods I have a couple of 50 year old malts kept for special guests (who are not driving).

Best wishes for the season and fair winds for 2014.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 07:19   #140
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantus Anchors View Post
Guy/Gals check this out
I am still waiting for someone to post a video of anchors on a rocky or hard coral bottom (what I call a non-penetrating bottom).

Why are all the videos of near perfect deep sand bottom? That is not at all representative of what we experience. . . . Not even in the tropics (where just for example a couple cm of sand and coral rubble over a solid/hard/nonpenetrating base is quite common)

And where is the kelp. And where is the thin soupy mud (yes that will be hard to video, but the others would not be).

One would think the world was an endless perfect sand beach from all these videos.

I personally don't give a **** about tests or video in perfect sand bottoms because EVERY anchor I might buy will perform extremely well in it.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 07:58   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
One would think the world was an endless perfect sand beach from all these videos.
I personally don't give a **** about tests or video in perfect sand bottoms because EVERY anchor I might buy will perform extremely well in it.
Looked at the some of such a videos.
Interesting they are...
A bunch of well known anchors...
Properly built...
Widely known for easy setting and good holding...
No one can set, no one can hold...
Only THE ONE is setting and holding fabulously...
My name is Tomasz. Thomas in English.
And such videos somehow make me an Doubtful Thomas...

Best regards.

Tomasz (very, very doubtful...)
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 08:04   #142

Quote:
Guy/Gals check this out just got back from Boca Del Toro and tested Mantus against the competition on a really hard bottom. All the competitor anchors where donated by the local cruising community...

I'm curious...
Why didn't they want a Rocna to be part of the "competitor" anchors? Hmm? ;-D

I guess in the sailing community backing a Hunter up to 2600 rpms is a good pull?

I have twin CATS at 375 hp each with 22" screws. At 2600 rpms...how far up the side of the island that's behind me do think that would take me? lol...

(Just being saucy "Mod"...no offense meant ;-P)
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 11:11   #143

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
I am still waiting for someone to post a video of anchors on a rocky or hard coral bottom (what I call a non-penetrating bottom).

Why are all the videos of near perfect deep sand bottom? That is not at all representative of what we experience. . . . Not even in the tropics (where just for example a couple cm of sand and coral rubble over a solid/hard/nonpenetrating base is quite common)

And where is the kelp. And where is the thin soupy mud (yes that will be hard to video, but the others would not be).

Nailed it. This is a Cruising Forum but the tests and theory are more suited to dinghy and trailer boat anchors.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 16:20   #144

Boat: Boston Whaler, 35ft Henrique Trawler

Hello... We bought a Mantus for our 35ft trawler. Fantastic.. very happy with the performance. Grabs first time and holds great. Would highly recommend. Cheers.
CaptJenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 15:39   #145
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
I'm curious...
Why didn't they want a Rocna to be part of the "competitor" anchors? Hmm? ;-D

I guess in the sailing community backing a Hunter up to 2600 rpms is a good pull?

I have twin CATS at 375 hp each with 22" screws. At 2600 rpms...how far up the side of the island that's behind me do think that would take me? lol...

(Just being saucy "Mod"...no offense meant ;-P)

What we tested was the setting ability of different anchors, as we disclose in the video description the anchors came from the local cruising community (we flew in with just a GOPRO) and unfortunately we could not procure a Rocna. The complete test description could be found here:

Ramble | MantusAnchors
Old 29-12-2013, 15:50   #146
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Estarzinger, this is exactly what we tried to achieve here...
The anchorage in Bocas Del Torro is exactly what you describe,,, the bottom is Gravel of small coral pieces and nothing sets, this why the Manson Supreme, Spade, Fortress do not set... We are trying to do exactly what you ask.... refer to Ramble | MantusAnchors for details on this TEST
https://www.youtube.com/user/MantusAnchors for other test we have done....
By now we documented with Video the Performance of the Mantus in multiple challenging anchorages. We do not say its the best anchor we try to show you what it can do....
greg
Old 29-12-2013, 16:04   #147

Quote:

What we tested was the setting ability of different anchors, as we disclose in the video description the anchors came from the local cruising community (we flew in with just a GOPRO) and unfortunately we could not procure a Rocna. The complete test description could be found here:

Ramble | MantusAnchors
That's fair...
It did well for that bottom.
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 17:14   #148
Sponsoring Vendor

Greg,

Curious as to why the weight was not listed for the FX-37?

Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 17:36   #149
cruiser

Sorry, not buying the test. That Bruce anchor looked pretty well set in just about one anchor length, until... somebody up on the surface jacked up the force significantly. I'm not a fan of Bruce, but thigs didn't look equal, especially on the spade; you guys looked like you revved on it right away, never giving it a chance to slowly set.... like you seemed to do only with the Mantus.

'Just my humble observation. BWT: I have an Ultra, so no dog in the fight.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2013, 20:32   #150
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Greg,

Curious as to why the weight was not listed for the FX-37?

Brian
Brian --- we will add it ...21 lbs, we picked it bc it is the size one might use on a 38 foot boat... and the one available to us..

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus