Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2019, 23:07   #1

Boat: Cal 2-29
What is the weight of the anchor for a 30-foot yacht.

guys Tell me please, what is the weight of the anchor should be for the boat Cal2-29 . 29 fit???? 25-30 lb???\\

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 23:51   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: What is the weight of the anchor for a 30-foot yacht.

Sizing Guide | Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34   #3

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Depends a lot on what type of anchor, what type or rode, and what type of holding ground. A fortress in sand or a Rocna in mud can be quite a bit lighter than a Bruce on hard bottom. 3/8" all chain rode adds a lot of holding power vs a 12 foot stinger of 5/16" chain at the end of 5/8" nylon. Also a wide beamy pilothouse boat wants more anchor than a narrow flush decker. A heavy boat puts more strain on the anchor when there is a lot of sea running in the anchorage, compared to a light boat. A general rule, for casual coasting, (VERY general! Consider the conditions above, not just the weight of anchor and length of boat!!!) would be a pound and a half per foot of boat, and two pounds per foot for serious cruising. But again, the weight of the anchor is not not not the only consideration. My 27' carried a 45lb (approx) generic Danforth and a 10k (I think) Fortress "lunch hook" at the stern. Both were at the end of combination rode, the larger Danforth with 10' of half inch chain on 300' of 5/8" nylon, the lunch hook similar, with 5/16" chain and 1/2" nylon for easy hand retrieval in the shallow water of Lake Pontchartrain. No windlass on that boat. The larger anchor never dragged on me as long as I gave it plenty of scope, but I never faced any really challenging anchorages with it. My current project, a BR 44, will get a windlass, all 3/8" chain rode on the general recommendations I got on this board, and a very sizeable Rocna style anchor for the primary, probably a combination rode and a smaller, easily stowed anchor for backup and for double anchor situations. Probably looking at somewhere between 60lb and 90lb for the main hook. Some would call that overkill. Some would say that is about right, and a few would recommend a hundred pounder or go home. Wanna start a cacaphony of bickering? Mention that you are uncertain of what anchor you should have, on this board. I think the proponents of either two extremes probably have a few armchair sailors amongst them. Now if I wanted a Bruce or similar I might want a somewhat bigger anchor. If I was just going to use the boat as a weekender and anchored only in sandy ground, and never in over force 5 or so, I might be content with a decently constructed 45lb Danforth or similar.

Simple approach is figure out what other guys with your type boat are using, and go a size bigger, up to what you can physically handle. And long heavy chain is better than short, light chain. 9:1 scope might hold when 4:1 scope has the anchor just sledding over the grass. No snubber on all chain rode? Tsk tsk. Take away holding points for that.

Economics play a big part in anchor selection, maybe for far too many sailors. But sometimes you got to consider costs. Got a half mill 6 month old boat? Spend a little extra on your ground tackle, enough that you dont lose your boat just because you wanted to save a couple hundred bucks. Got a $500 project boat? No sense buying $1k worth of chain and a $450 anchor, let alone a brand new windlass.
Old 05-01-2019, 14:39   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

stanislav, we all need a little more info when making this recommendation as anchor sizing should take in all factors.
- Is she a stock 8000 lb Cal 2/29. Loaded with cruising gear/ weight. Bimini, dodger, furling gear or extra windage. Do you plan to stay in your backyard, gulf islands, desolation, round the big island or further. Do you have or plan to install a windlass. Experience.

If you have a windlass and was going up north for extended periods exploring out of the way places I'd confidently recommend the Sarca Excel #4 16 kg / 37 lb with (275' min ) 1/4" G43 chain.
If you are lighter, don't have a windlass and plan cruising Puget sound / gulf islands during the nicer times of the year. I'd safely recommend the Sarca Excel #3 12.5 kg / 26lb with a combo (75') 1/4" G43 chain / (200' 1/2" rope min.)
We have a number of same and similar vessels carrying Excel's with both those combinations.
Another trend relating to lack of manual windlass and keeping overall anchor/ gear related weight to a minimum is using the Aluminum Excel. Recently on a offshore bound C&C 30 and a venturing CS 30. The #4 Excel weighing 50% of its galvanized brother.

Growley Monster, lets here more about your project. I feel your sizing choice between 60-90Lbs is a good start but share the answers to the above questions. So we can all guess with you.
The performance the new breed of anchors are amazing. Some of the old 'Rules of Thumb' need adjustment or least reanalyzing.

We are exhibitors at both Seattle's and Vancouver's upcoming boat shows. Stop in and chat about anchors, related systems or just boats.

Chris
Old 05-01-2019, 15:09   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The 15kg (33lbs.) Vulcan (you chose) or a Mantus would qualify as storm anchors according to their literature for your boat. A 20lb Danforth 20H also would.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 17:22   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Growley Monster, lets here more about your project. I feel your sizing choice between 60-90Lbs is a good start but share the answers to the above questions. So we can all guess with you.
The performance the new breed of anchors are amazing. Some of the old 'Rules of Thumb' need adjustment or least reanalyzing.

We are exhibitors at both Seattle's and Vancouver's upcoming boat shows. Stop in and chat about anchors, related systems or just boats.

Chris

What do you want to know? Brand new Lofrans Kobra windlass sitting in GF living room, or maybe she put it on the boat already, waiting for me to get home and install it. Chain not ordered yet... I won't order until I am home to take delivery. Looking at 400' of 3/8" G40. Also bought a second used Lofrans Kobra for spare, don't know what size wildcat is on it cause seller, as typical, didn't know either. Undecided on backup anchor and rode but have some possibilities to decide from.

Boat is a 1979 build Bruce Roberts 44, aft cockpit sloop, about 14 tons displacement, 13'5" beam. Just bought it and haven't hauled it out yet. It was never properly fitted out, mostly just a hull, mast, and a few odds and ends of little importance like an electric (!) potable water pump but no head, last previous owner (a yard that took it over for nonpayment) dropped the current engine in it, a Westerbeast 4-107 of unknown hours, no guages connected. The original owner put in a great big beautiful skylight that needs to come off as it is very vulnerable in a real storm and blocks the view forward from the aft cockpit. Presently there is no anchor or rode to speak of on the boat, no electrical system worthy of the name either, and I will be putting a lot of stuff in from scratch. Have to completely overhaul the steering system which consisted of home depot grade hardware and failed twice while sailing the boat from Gulfport to its new home in New Orleans. I bought it because it was dirt cheap, huge down below with plenty of room, overbuilt tank of a hull, and mostly a blank slate to make it what I want it to be. Sails like an unstoppable rocket propelled steamroller when the wind is up, suits me perfectly. The delivery trip gave us our choice of name for the boat, Brute Force.

Windlass choice was partly influenced by availability of parts and partly because while it is electric, it can also be operated manually. Price wasn't bad, either. The chain? I was going to go with 5/16" but several members here convinced me to step up to 3/8". Not sure if I can get an entire 400' barrel in the chain locker or not, but any left over will either make a backup combination rode, or be sold. I will be happy if I get 300' onboard, anything more is just gravy. I could get a half barrel at discount but I would rather have more than 200'.

Haven't picked out stoppers/pawls or bitts or other deck hardware for anchors. I think there is a bow roller but chances are it isn't up to my standards. Everything will be properly bedded with steel and fiberglass backing under deck. Ideally if anything fails in a serious blow it won't be the deck hardware or the deck itself. Snubber material not picked out yet, nor chain hooks, etc.

GF already received the new isolation transformer, ELCI shore power breaker, AC source switch, AC and DC distribution panel, and a host of other items waiting for me to install. Got a used watermaker coming, I will wait till I am home to shop for a genset. Head and tank and maybe type II MSD also. Fuel tanks. Currently the only fuel tank is a jury rigged 14gal (says the surveyor, I think it is a LOT smaller) aluminum tank, poorly secured with zip ties. Not a lot of range for a 4-107 in a fat heavy boat. Stove is gimballed propane, and I hate propane with a passion so I will soon be upgrading to diesel. I don't like the berthing arrangements so that will all get the Growley touch. Kinda excited about this boat as a post-hurricane apocalypse survival capsule and cruiser and off grid getaway venue for just me and my GF.

I really have barely got to know the boat so far. Looked it over a couple of days, closed on it, next day sailed her home in a brisk norther, a day and a night, docked just after daylight with jury rigged steering in a slip that is really too small for the boat, wind still blowing. Then it was time to pack and catch the ship I am on now, so nothing is done and nothing gets done until after February. But my forever project, a solar electric conversion of a 1976 Cal 2-27, is completely on hold for the next half year at least. It's all about Brute Force for the moment, and the enthusiasm is probably why this reply is much too long, but I hope it answered your not very specified questions.
Old 05-01-2019, 18:24   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A new pattern anchor, Mantus, Manson, etc., around 10 kilo's/25 pounds, 15'-30' go 1/4" G40 chain and couple 100' of 1/2" line is more than adequate for a boat of your windage/displacement. Unless you have a windlass you are going to manually pull up every pound of your ground tackle and with the deep anchorages in the PNW things are even weightier.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 22:27   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

A danforth s1300 is more than enough around here . Figure 30 ft chain and a couple hundred feet of 1/2 inch rode .
I have a spare I'm willing to sell reasonable ( make me an offer)
you will have to get your own chain and rode .
Old 05-01-2019, 22:53   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
What is the weight of the anchor for a 30-foot yacht.

Where are you going with the boat?
I’d start with the 15kg anchor you listed. I’d get a Fortress 7-10kg.
If I was going offshore I would get a backup anchor to, plus a small kedge anchor and maybe even a moderate size Luke anchor.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:40   #10

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

If it helps I run a 33kg Vulcan on the bow of my 40ft cruising monohull

This is a major upgrade from the stock 16kg Delta it came with.

I have it on 60m of 8mm G70 with a further 45m of 16mm Octoplait spliced to it.

My thinking is go for the largest anchor on your bow that you can physically manage, or your windlass can handle. All this talk of lunch anchors, fair weather anchors and storm anchors to me is a faff. Your bower anchor should be able to hold you in the worst conditions you think you might experience +25%. I don't want to be hanging on to the pulpit in a storm trying to swap anchors or set a secondary storm anchor. I want my primary anchor to do the job first time.

Check out the Mantus and Rocna sites for their sizing guides, and the Fortress one as they are cracking anchors for their physical weight, and don't be afraid to go up a size.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:27   #11
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Sounds like the guy just wants a weight and to forget about it.
53' Hatteras here, 55 tons. I carry two 30 pound DAN's. 3/4 inch chain.
Go online to west marine . They have a pretty good explanation and calculator that will help you.
Frustrating to see all the conditions to consider. Now you know why we had to take calculus. Good luck.
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:07   #12

12 kg
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 13:08   #13

Boat: SS34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanislav View Post
guys Tell me please, what is the weight of the anchor should be for the boat Cal2-29 . 29 fit???? 25-30 lb???\\

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

That Rocna Vulcan will be more than adequate. I use a 13 kilo replica of an Ultra with 5 metres of 10mm chain and 14mm double braid rode with a 30 foot yacht. Everything is stored in an anchor well on the bow. If you intend to actually sail that yacht keep the weight in the ends to a minimum.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 14:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

GrowleyMonster, Congrats on "SV Brute Force" along with some sympathy for the previous owner. I've completed such a project and its a challenge that appears you both have the energy for. My unsolicited advise is to keep your partner included in every aspect and don't take everything apart at once so some fun can be had. The only question not answered was 'where are you going' so we can assume anywhere.

Some things to consider and more rules of thumb, because its fun...
I concur with your chain dimension as 'SV BF' could generate storm loads of 6000 lbs. WLL 5/16" G43 = 3900 lbs / 3/8' =5400 lbs.
The Lofrans Kobra max pull for short durations - 2750 lbs / working load 375 lbs + 10%. Working load factor relates to entire weight of chain, anchor and components. 400' 3/8" = 600lbs + anchor. You may be a candidate for G70. Just saying to be gentle with it and size wiring accordingly to reduce losses. There are good technical threads on CF with a search.
The min proof loads are also something to consider when any component as many don't give WLL like chain requires. Proof for G43 5/16" = 5850 lbs / 3/8" = 8100 lbs.
Anchors that have achieved SHHP certification need to be proof tested at a minimum. An anchor weight of 30 kg / 65 lb requires 5665 lbs and 35 kg / 80 lb 6969 lb. This is test is delivered 2/3 out on the fluke.
Also a guide to having a balanced mooring system - Min breaking force of chain should double the proof load of the anchor.
Ultimate holding power of anchors in average substrate should reach 90% of min breaking force of the chain.
I have a Fortress below for those soupy thin bottoms.

We all look fwd in following your progress,
Chris
Old 06-01-2019, 14:43   #15

Buy Rocna or Vulcan or Ultra. Thtat is top 3 anchors.

Mantus is great on sand but in hard mud do not set. Danforth and delta is same

Videos. :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_c...hmAHAdA/videos

If you can have a anchor with roll bar then buy rocna and do not buy Vulcan. Because rocna have more big plate for the same weight.

what about weight? Depend on what would like you to do on anchor. If you want to eat lunch is inaf 10kg. If you want to sleep with one eye open minimum 15kg. If you want to sleep well with boat eye closed then minimum 25kg.

I hhave on my boat Colombo29 anchor 31kg and I am sleeping like a baby. There is nothing more important than safety of my family.

I have 700W winch and is inaf strong to pull the anchor on the boat.
Bonaparte-eu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, yacht