Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2013, 20:45   #151
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet
Re: Mantus Anchor or Rocna ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sorry, not buying the test. That Bruce anchor looked pretty well set in just about one anchor length, until... somebody up on the surface jacked up the force significantly. I'm not a fan of Bruce, but thigs didn't look equal, especially on the spade; you guys looked like you revved on it right away, never giving it a chance to slowly set.... like you seemed to do only with the Mantus.

'Just my humble observation. BWT: I have an Ultra, so no dog in the fight.
Check out the complete description of what we did here:

ANCHOR TESTING - in Bocas Del Toro, Panama -
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 13:04   #152

Community Sponsor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44 & Hobie Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sorry, not buying the test. That Bruce anchor looked pretty well set in just about one anchor length, until... somebody up on the surface jacked up the force significantly. I'm not a fan of Bruce, but thigs didn't look equal, especially on the spade; you guys looked like you revved on it right away, never giving it a chance to slowly set.... like you seemed to do only with the Mantus.

'Just my humble observation. BWT: I have an Ultra, so no dog in the fight.
I was the helmsman & can assure you no preferential treatment was given to any anchor. In fact, since all anchors were dropped on the seafloor before the testing began, I was unaware of which anchor was being tested until after the test completed.
From the helm I could not feel the Bruce grabbing and releasing. It felt like a very consistent resistance. (probably due to drag of chain).
The Spade & Manson Supreme just never grabbed anything so as the boat accelerated, there was no resistance & they sped away.
Think about it, if an anchor sets immediately there is nothing to see. It grabs & starts a tug-a-war with the boat. There is no movement. The Mantus can be seen digging deeper - you have to watch closely. The video of the Bulwagga is even less exciting - it literally set in place - didn't go forward & didn't go much deeper, but did hold to full throttle.
-dt
Sailing Delta Tango
d.taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 13:58   #153

Boat: Prout 46

Looks like a valid test to me. I would like to have seen what a steel Spade would have done considering the fact that it has excelled in just about every other anchor test. Having used both the steel spades (S100 and S140) and their aluminum counterparts (A100 and A140), I am coming to the conclusion that the aluminum Spades have more trouble penetrating hard surfaces.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:12   #154
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

This test appears to have been conducted on a seabed in which no yacht can anchor - simply because no anchor (other of course than the Mantus) works. I assume thus the location is not an anchorage (as no yachts will have owned a Mantus for a sufficient period to allow this location to be known as a, Mantus only, anchorage.

If it is a conventional and recognised anchorage I wonder how yachts managed to stay put.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:15   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
This test appears to have been conducted on a seabed in which no yacht can anchor - simply because no anchor (other of course than the Mantus) works. I assume thus the location is not an anchorage (as no yachts will have owned a Mantus for a sufficient period to allow this location to be known as a, Mantus only, anchorage.

If it is a conventional and recognised anchorage I wonder how yachts managed to stay put.

Jonathan
Well...ones with a Rocna of course! :-)
EighthWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 14:17   #156

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
Well...ones with a Rocna of course! :-)
You are right of course.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:09   #157

Spade being hard to get and crazy expensive down here, and our bow not fitting any roll bar anchor, we are giving a 77kg Excel a run. Price good and shipping to Asia quick and easy. Last anchor (on previous boat) was a Rocna of the same size, which we never had a problem with (set promptly, and literally never dragged, although it sometimes brought a lot of mud to the surface in some conditions). Was able to anchor on surprisingly short scope with it in fiords and so on which I liked.

We've only used the Excel in Malaysia/Thailand for 2 months, where wind is rare, but it's set well so far when backing down on it. We will be heading west soon so should get to see a range of conditions.

I am interested in anchor behaviour (less so in all the shouting about them), and often have a look at the set with a mask on, so will observe how it behaves and maybe report back later this year.

Fwiw, most tests should be taken with a grain of salt for all the obvious reasons. However, so too should anecdotal claims, including mine! I've learned more with a mask on than from a bunch of 'tests', internet banter and subjective claims full of reporting bias.
SailingMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:53   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingMum View Post
I've learned more with a mask on than from a bunch of 'tests', internet banter and subjective claims full of reporting bias.
And yet...here you are :-)

I can't speak for others, but I've always learned from the experiences as well as the trial and errors of others. Internet forums, such as this one, has made an educated buyer out of me for many boating products including anchors. This is what has brought next generation anchors to the fore and helped many realize there's bigger and better products out there. The world use to be huge and it helped line commercial companies pockets with silver. Now with an educated buyer, not so much. It's tougher and more competitive for them. Proof of that is the need for sponsors to be members of such forums in order to defend their product.

I'm thankful for the forum and the Internet in this regard as it's saved me thousands by heeding good advice of others who had to waste thousands to find out.

As a result of a forum such as this, I've learned that it's okay to take my plow to the metal recycle depot!

;-)
Old 11-01-2014, 09:02   #159

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthWonder View Post
As a result of a forum such as this, I've learned that it's okay to take my plow to the metal recycle depot!
;-)
I could not have said that line better myself.
Just Brilliant
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 22:49   #160

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingMum View Post
Spade being hard to get and crazy expensive down here, and our bow not fitting any roll bar anchor, we are giving a 77kg Excel a run. Price good and shipping to Asia quick and easy. Last anchor (on previous boat) was a Rocna of the same size, which we never had a problem with (set promptly, and literally never dragged, although it sometimes brought a lot of mud to the surface in some conditions). Was able to anchor on surprisingly short scope with it in fiords and so on which I liked.

We've only used the Excel in Malaysia/Thailand for 2 months, where wind is rare, but it's set well so far when backing down on it. We will be heading west soon so should get to see a range of conditions.

I am interested in anchor behaviour (less so in all the shouting about them), and often have a look at the set with a mask on, so will observe how it behaves and maybe report back later this year.

Fwiw, most tests should be taken with a grain of salt for all the obvious reasons. However, so too should anecdotal claims, including mine! I've learned more with a mask on than from a bunch of 'tests', internet banter and subjective claims full of reporting bias.
Brilliant to use somebodys else's words. It will be great to follow progress as you use your anchor in different conditions.

We should start another thread for peoples experiences with the Excel.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:20   #161

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post

Cheers
I will be extremely interested in this
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 02:24   #162
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder

Cheers

Double whisky wrote;

I will be extremely interested in this.

Yes well this has already been done and dusted, the locked Excel thread gave a very broad account of the Excel’s performance in is what now a locked Excel thread, there were many independent assessment’s including one from a gentlemen that purchased an Excel because his Rocna would not hold in mud, the Excel solved his problem, even though this thread remains in the index his post along with many complimentary accounts of the Excel cannot be found on that thread, deleted, very disappointing.

Further of which was interesting was G macs account of the Excel, he sells all of the new generation anchors in New Zealand, and many complimentary posts and comments from him are also deleted.

I don’t think any ones chance of reproducing a topic on Excel is worth contemplating, over twenty thousand hits over a short period of time certainly proved to be an interesting and at times a heated topic.

Regards Rex.
congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 21:38   #163

Boat: kuiper 32

after using a cqr for a few years I got tired of dragging all over town so got a manson supreme I set my anchor by driving forward on an angle as my reverse is weak first time I tried it with the manson I thought I had hit a rock boat stopped so fast,fantastic only problem is getting it back up I have no windlass.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 16:27   #164

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder

Cheers

Double whisky wrote;

I will be extremely interested in this.

Yes well this has already been done and dusted, the locked Excel thread gave a very broad account of the Excel’s performance in is what now a locked Excel thread, there were many independent assessment’s including one from a gentlemen that purchased an Excel because his Rocna would not hold in mud, the Excel solved his problem, even though this thread remains in the index his post along with many complimentary accounts of the Excel cannot be found on that thread, deleted, very disappointing.

Further of which was interesting was G macs account of the Excel, he sells all of the new generation anchors in New Zealand, and many complimentary posts and comments from him are also deleted.

I don’t think any ones chance of reproducing a topic on Excel is worth contemplating, over twenty thousand hits over a short period of time certainly proved to be an interesting and at times a heated topic.

Regards Rex.
Interesting statement...Like another post, I thought my Rocna hit a rock, it jerks the boat as soon as it hits the bottom. A good 30% of my anchorages so far have been mud. When I finally get it to break out, it brings up a wad of mud with it, totally encompassing the flukes, which was my major bitch at first, until I learned how to motor around with it just below the surface, cleaning it. By any chance, do you sell Excel?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 17:15   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Interesting statement...Like another post, I thought my Rocna hit a rock, it jerks the boat as soon as it hits the bottom. A good 30% of my anchorages so far have been mud. When I finally get it to break out, it brings up a wad of mud with it, totally encompassing the flukes, which was my major bitch at first, until I learned how to motor around with it just below the surface, cleaning it. By any chance, do you sell Excel?

I keep hearing this kind of experience with the Rocna. That's fantastic! I can't wait to try mine. ;-)

Tags
anchor, Mantus, rocna, mantus