Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21   #31

Re: Help with Anchor .... Is it the same at West Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Can anyone explain why this is suppose to be a "power boat" anchor as opposed to just being an anchor? I heard the comments the rep made, but they made no sense at all.

What's next, "power boat" heads as opposed to "sailboat" heads?
If the "MAD MEN" have any say about it and the public is stupid enough to buy it, you bet there'll be sail and power boat heads!! Each with all kinds of costly "must have" features especially for power or sail...

It's all about selling us stuff we don't even know we want or need..AND it must be the "BEST"...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26   #32

Boat: Cal 2-27

OH......I see.......Your toilet is built for left handed people. That's why it's plugged up. You need a right handed toilet! They are down this isle. Follow me.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:29   #33

My main sailing ground...the Chesapeake features most boats carrying the dreaded danforth. I can't stand that anchor. I want something that I can trust. I have never trusted them if I were to leave a boat.

I am leaving my office now to pick up my anchor. I could go at the end of the day, but have a late appt. I don't want to wait until the weekend to pick it up.

If the guy at the store ask me what kind of boat it goes on, I think that I might tell them a 14 foot sunfish:-) Just to see the reaction! /evilgrin

Google Image Result for http://www.theanchorstore.co.uk/prodimages/danforth%2520anchor.jpg
Old 11-07-2012, 15:30   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
My main sailing ground...the Chesapeake features most boats carrying the dreaded danforth. I can't stand that anchor. I want something that I can trust. I have never trusted them if I were to leave a boat.
I understand the trust part during reset - I share that feeling. However, the Danforth styles, and particularly the Fortress, is sometimes the best anchor (if not the only one) for parts of the Chesapeake where the mud is thin, silty and full of leaves. And I say this owning a large Rocna as a primary.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:12   #35

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Re: help with anchor....is it the same at west marine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannw View Post
HeHe !! ... Did he seriously say (at 1:45 - 2:05) that they patented a nut and bolt in a slot?????

These are the guys who basically ripped off the Rocna Anchor?

Funniest thing I have seen today!

Yes, that is what he said - the shackle preventer is patented. I do not believe that this is patented as you could not patent what is basically a nut & bolt in the slot and other anchor manufacturers use this same method so why haven't they taken action against them to stop them from doing so. If it is - I'm sure that we would like to see the proof of this.

Also different anchors for powerboats and sailboats - what a load of absolute BS.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:46   #36
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

It is a well known fact, evidenced by just looking at them, that powerboats use anchors that sailboat owners, of a similar size, would consider to be totally inadequate.

Get real - Rocna having taken a hiding in the sail comunity as a result of which they publically said they would focus in the (near?) future on the powerboat market. Manson are simply sending a warning shot that they will not be alone.

Manson and any other anchor maker will sell to anyone who wants one.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:54   #37
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
It is a well known fact, evidenced by just looking at them, that powerboats use anchors that sailboat owners, of a similar size, would consider to be totally inadequate.
No kidding! Most of the powerboats on my dock don't have anchors--only lunch hooks.

Seriously: the powerboats in the 60' slips all have smaller primary anchors than the sailboats in the 50' slips.

And the sailboat anchors are a lot more rusty.
Old 23-07-2012, 22:16   #38

Quote:

Get real - Rocna having taken a hiding in the sail comunity as a result of which they publically said they would focus in the (near?) future on the powerboat market. Manson are simply sending a warning shot that they will not be alone.

Manson and any other anchor maker will sell to anyone who wants one.
What anchors boat owners decide to put on their boats is either personal choice or in a lot of cases what the boat came with when they bought it. I'm sure that you would agree that a powerboat and a yacht with the same tonnage and similar windage should be suited by the same size anchor. However, a cruising yacht as opposed to a largely day tripper powerboat the yacht invariably goes up to a larger version as an increased safety margin.

But that was a minor part of my post. The main bit I was having a bit of a chuckle about was the claim to a patented nut & bolt shackle preventer.
Old 23-07-2012, 22:24   #39

I am now the owner of a Manson boss anchor. Day one, I was out and a guy asked me what I was doing with a powerboat anchor on a sailboat! Jk.

I was on the hook this past weekend, no bad weather , so nothing to report, but u must say, this anchor sets very easy. 35 pound boss on a 27 foot cal makes me feel very safe.

I see many boats at my marina with small anchors and rope rhode with only a small amount of chain.
Old 23-07-2012, 22:29   #40
cruiser

Sorry, I was not trying to be critical. I smiled when I saw the quote about selling to the power boat market, thinking 'are they really going to turn down a sale because the owner has a mast?' my smile, like yours, became a bit broader when I thought of patenting a nut and bolt. Assuming Manson do not think we are that stupid to believe them I assumed it was all part of some clever strategy aimed at their competitors.

But in the anchor industry, nothing is ever as it seems - or has not been for the last 12 years, so who knows.

But at least now we can smile about it!
Old 24-07-2012, 00:33   #41

Quote:
Sorry, I was not trying to be critical. I smiled when I saw the quote about selling to the power boat market, thinking 'are they really going to turn down a sale because the owner has a mast?' my smile, like yours, became a bit broader when I thought of patenting a nut and bolt. Assuming Manson do not think we are that stupid to believe them I assumed it was all part of some clever strategy aimed at their competitors.

But in the anchor industry, nothing is ever as it seems - or has not been for the last 12 years, so who knows.

But at least now we can smile about it!
No worries and agree with your points but when a anchor manufacturer claims that something is a patented feature they should make sure of their facts & not use this lightly.
Old 24-07-2012, 02:36   #42
cruiser

With the recent past as an example any anchor manufacturer making claims that cannot be sustained - need their head(s) examined.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:02   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The Manson boss has no Roll Bar. This is a key feature of any modern fast set self righting anchor.
The rollbars were fitted to those 2 anchors because of patent issues i.e Alain Mr Spade patented his gear in NZ. After finding the rollbars were a OK work-around to make the anchor orientate themselves correctly they were then were turned into 'features'.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 21:26   #44
cruiser

The Roll Bar was patented by Peter Bruce in 1970, but he decided not to use it (I wonder why). It was first used by Wasi with their Bugel in the late 1970's, not sure exactly when. I would hardly call an idea of the 1970's 'modern'. The next application was Anchor Right's first anchor of the early 1990's which morphed into the SARCA a few years later. The Spade, Fortress and Excel are all superb performers - they do not need roll bars, they all post date Peter Bruce's idea - which in my book makes them 'more modern'.

Personally I think the current use of the roll bar to be a retrograde step, given that the Fortress, Excel, Spade and Boss show it to be unnecessary. It is most strange the numbers of yacht owners who bought a $500 roll bar anchor and then needed to spend another $500 to have their bow roller modified to allow the roll bar to fit. They could have spent the same money and used a Spade or Fortress and more recently an Excel or Boss - makes no sense at all to me.
Old 10-08-2012, 21:41   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
makes no sense at all to me.
Nor anyone else who didn't fall for the marketing out of one outfit Some still are faling for it though.

The rollbars were to get around the way Alain patented the Spade and it tip weight. As much as they tried they couldn't find another way bar the rollbars.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marine