Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 16:39   #76
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: Help with Anchor .... Is it the Same at West Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
If you look closely at this pic you will see the fitment issue with these anchor types.

The curve of the shank (particularly the multiple inside curves where the shank makes its connection to the body of the anchor and where it rests against the roller), combined with the pull of the windlass as determined by the placement of the chain shackle, prevents the anchor from being pulled into a secure position on the bow roller.

In this particular case, there is no way to prevent upward movement of the anchor, despite the anchor being pulled tight into the roller. Imagine the bow heaving in a seaway. Imagine also the anchor lifting off the roller 6-8" every time a wave is encountered, until the anchor launches itself off the roller. If you are facing green water over the bow, you are going to have a significant problem on your hands!

In addition, there is no way to readily lash the anchor down without drilling your own tie down points on the anchor shaft.

I am thinking that a straight shaft, as opposed to the scimitar-like curved shaft of the Manson and Rocna, would be the most efficient - both from an engineering standpoint, as well as a manufacturing efficiency.

With all the posters who have had difficulty fitting these new anchors, why has the shaft, rather than the roll bar, not come under greater scrutiny?
The only straight shanked anchors I can think of today would be the Danforth, Fortress and Bugel - which are mightily popular, as are Deltas, which have the shank you suggest might cause a problem. I would welcome any information on a self righting anchor, that is not a Danforth/Fortress type, with a straight shank that does not have a roll bar.

Many bow rollers have a pin to allow the anchor to be locked down and rather than drilling a hole in the bow roller face plates it is very easy to construct an 'inverted 'U'' device that sits over the shank and bow roller face plates and can be secured under the roller itself - crudely you could simply tie it on, but you could use a pin - depends how much time you want to spend manufacturing. You can simply tie the anchor to the roller - its not a big issue

Basically people have been using Deltas now for 30 years, Spades for 20 years, SARCAs for 15 years, Supremes and Excels for 5 years (and The Boss for a few weeks) and the shape of the shank on the bow roller, or its security, has never been an issue.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:23   #77

Boat: Bristol 41.1

"The only straight shanked anchors I can think of today would be the Danforth, Fortress and Bugel "

Well, here is one that comes to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CQR.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	46391  
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 19:35   #78
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
"The only straight shanked anchors I can think of today would be the Danforth, Fortress and Bugel "

Well, here is one that comes to mind.
I think there are one or two other criteria than having a straight shank. I'd rather need to tie my anchor down (on the bow roller) but that it worked than have it stable on the bow roller but not on the seabed - but people do say I'm contrary.

If you want to use one of them instead of Spade, Fortress, Supreme, Super SARCA, Excel, Boss - good luck
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marine