Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2012, 10:37   #16

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Help with Anchor .... Is it the same at West Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
It appears that some people do not read what is written on the forum as some people have written to Ned art Manson asking about old and new. This terminology was used by the original poster.

His reply that I posted clearly states that the photos were of a prototype and there has only ever been one Boss anchor in production and delivered. There is NO OLD AND NEW just one anchor.

If those who wrote to him had bothered to look at his corrected site they would not have been confused and would have had no need to seek further clarification.

I too had been confused but his explanation was completely clear and I thought it would clear things for the posters here but obviously people do not read nor understand clear explanations. ,
I agree that his explanation is very clear and the questions are now answered. However, your second post came 45 minutes after your first one where you posted his reply. Seems a little grumpy to me!

And I can verify that the website is now updated with new photos. That's a very recent development, though, it was still the old photos when I checked at the start of this thread.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:53   #17

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I agree that his explanation is very clear and the questions are now answered. However, your second post came 45 minutes after your first one where you posted his reply. Seems a little grumpy to me!

And I can verify that the website is now updated with new photos. That's a very recent development, though, it was still the old photos when I checked at the start of this thread.
I was more than grumpy. People had unnecessarily written to Manson asking for an explanation after I posted Ned's explanation. Wasting his time. I have nothing to do with Manson Marine and I live in Mexico and thought I was providing factual information direct from the source, which as it appears had to be further questioned. That is what irked me so much. Why go to the bother of trying to help when it is disregarded.

Re the photos Ned said he had changed them after he read my mail. he also said that it should have been done weeks ago.. I can imagine that someone's head is on the chopping block over that error.

When I read your original post I also checked their website and found the photos you had linked to. That is what caused me to write to him in the first place.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 13:50   #18

Boat: CS 36t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexdon View Post
This is the reply I received from Manson Marine NZ re shank shape. In my mail to him I mentioned CF but not old and new models, but you can see by his answer he must have read the thread.

Hi there.
Thanks for the enquiry.
Sorry, the photos on the website were of a prototype, we were still developing the anchor when we launched at METS, and always had earmarked an April launch in stores. All photos are now revised.
I’ve updated the website now, this was supposed to have been done a few weeks ago with the latest drawings.
We have only ever sold one model of Manson Boss, there are no other “old” models on the market.

Thanks very much
Ned
It is interesting to me that their webpage has a picture of the prototype design on it. If you go here Next Generation - Manson Boss anchor for motor yachts, the bottom picture of the powder coated manson shows a clearly different shank shape. It does not appear to me that it is really up to date.

I just hope that this turns out to be a really good anchor. It has the area, the question in my mind is whether it has the setting ability and I don't see why it wouldn't. Hopefully someone can get some actual setting videos up soon.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 23:20   #19

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by klem View Post
It is interesting to me that their webpage has a picture of the prototype design on it. If you go here Next Generation - Manson Boss anchor for motor yachts, the bottom picture of the powder coated manson shows a clearly different shank shape. It does not appear to me that it is really up to date.

I just hope that this turns out to be a really good anchor. It has the area, the question in my mind is whether it has the setting ability and I don't see why it wouldn't. Hopefully someone can get some actual setting videos up soon.
There are clearly 2 different anchors on the site. Look at the stainless shank on the middle photo. I just want to know what one I would be getting if I ordered it
Next Generation - Manson Boss anchor for motor yachts

I was going to order at west marine yesterday, but figured I would do it online.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:45   #20

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail

There are clearly 2 different anchors on the site. Look at the stainless shank on the middle photo. I just want to know what one I would be getting if I ordered it

I was going to order at west marine yesterday, but figured I would do it online.
Looks the same to me. Note the stainless photo is taken at a different angle.

Who cares? There's only one version and that's the one that will arrive. The original straight vs curved shank was a bit of an error, but if it isn't a difference in geometry that's obvious at first glance, it makes no difference to me
Old 28-06-2012, 15:07   #21
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:

Who cares? There's only one version and that's the one that will arrive. The original straight vs curved shank was a bit of an error, but if it isn't a difference in geometry that's obvious at first glance, it makes no difference to me
Glad someone said that, I cannot see any difference either, thought I must have a different webpage or there was some subtle nuance I was too old to recognise.

We will all be interested in a performance report in due course. It certainly looks the business.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 17:32   #22
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey there Gents.
Boatsail, unfortunately the images on the page are exactly the same anchor, there are definitely not two anchors.
I took the photos. Same size, same shape, only one anchor for sale. Only ever been one anchor for sale.
Any queries please email us. We don't often check forums and very very rarely post except in exceptional circumstances like this.
Always reply to emails though.
Thanks
Manson Anchors
Manson Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:48   #23

Quote:

Curved would not sit in the roller the same way as the straight. I did however order the 35# anchor. It should be in today.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57   #24

The confusion came truly due to the differnt sites who sell the anchor. See the sites below. I know there was only one boss ever sold, but there were several boss anchors out there that consumers were looking at. Only reason for wanting to know information regarding the angle the "shovel" would have hanging over the bow with the curved shank vs the straight shank. Just curiosity more than anything. See below for what I'm talking about.

Also, the preventer "notch" looks to be differnt on the differnt articles/ads

Depends where you order from
Straight shank
Manson Boss Anchor

Straight shank
Sail-World.com : Manson introduces new Manson Boss Anchor at METS 2011

Actual Manson site

West marine
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50324
They updated the photo from when they first had it on there advertising the straight shank when I first started looking.

My 35 pounder should be in today. I can't wait to try it out. I will post my experiences with this anchor here on the Chesapeake bay and the keys when I get down there this winter.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13   #25

The preventer notch (docking station as Ned calls it) is definitely different then what we were expecting. After going through a pretty serious blow with our new Boss, we were happy that it held well and survived a violent 180 degree reset, however it is very oversized for our boat. What I didn't like was that despite having the preventer bolt tighted down at the proper place, it seems to have run forward up the shank quite a way. When we pulled the anchor out, the bolt was at about the mid way point on the shank.

Maybe its operator error, but I don't know what I could have done differently.

In all the photos before we bought our anchor the "docking station" cutout looked to be bigger such that there would be no way for the preventer bolt to "run forward" up the shank, however when we got the anchor this was not the case. After our experience that the bolt will walk up the shank in rough conditions, I'm a little bit unsettled. Considering installing my own "preventer" to make sure this thing can't walk up the shank.

Here you can see the shank and the slot on the Boss. These photos are of a brand new 60# Boss before any use. As you can see the "docking station" cut out is almost non existent.

Feedback from others or Manson on this appreciated.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:11   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The Manson boss has no Roll Bar. This is a key feature of any modern fast set self righting anchor.
A better bet would be to go with the Manson Supreme or Rocna anchor which has a roll bar.

I have used them all and the Roll Bar makes a big difference.
In grass or Kelp you will drag forever without a roll bar to self right and put the pointy side down to dig under the grass.

I would change my anchor roller before I buy an anchor, just so it fits well in the roller.

A good anchor is the key to a good night’s sleep, not if it fits well in on the anchor roller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mason.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	43277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	43278  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:40   #27

Cotemar,

I do intend to change the anchor roller. That was my main point in regards to figuring out how the shank was built (straight vs. curved).

Do you think the boss would have more trouble than the supreme even though the shank is built up higher to reduce the need for the rollbar?

You bring up a good point regarding grass and kelp.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:45   #28

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

A roll bar is not necessary for a modern fast setting anchor, but the anchor must be designed for self-righting. Witness the Spade, Ultima, Anchorlatina, etc.

I suspect the Boss has features that cause self-righting also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I have used the hell out of our supreme in have grass. I don't know if it is due to the roll bar or not but I am still shocked how well our anchor sets. The delta would alway have a hard time setting, while the Manson sets within about 5 feet. Most amazing ground tackle I have ever used. I have never used any other anchor other than the delta or fortress
Old 11-07-2012, 10:58   #30

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

boatsail,

2012 is the first year I have seen that 2/3 of the boats anchoring are using these new spade/rollbar anchors. We have been using one for 4 years now and even my 1st mate states that she loves it and would not use the old syle.

I personaly feel the faster BITE.
Never worry about wind shifts or resets from current changes.
The rollbar I feel is the key to the faster set and reset behavior
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marine