Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 21:28   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
Help with Anchor .... Is it the Same at West Marine ?

I was working on ordering my anchor from west marine. They just put the manson boss on the website. There is a problem. The photos shows the old manson boss and not the new. Just want to make sure that West Marine is not getting rid of old design manson boss.

Check out the photos to see what I mean.

New photos from manson website
http://manson-marine.co.nz/StandardS...d%20Sizing.pdf

Old photo from west marine
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4#.T9qxQhf2Yk8

Here is a funny video...He says they did this for power boats???? WTH...makes no sense. why would he say this
Old 15-06-2012, 01:15   #2

Re: help with anchor....is it the same at west marine?

HeHe !! ... Did he seriously say (at 1:45 - 2:05) that they patented a nut and bolt in a slot?????

These are the guys who basically ripped off the Rocna Anchor?

Funniest thing I have seen today!
jannw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 09:53   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Help with Anchor .... Is it the same at West Marine ?

Can anyone explain why this is suppose to be a "power boat" anchor as opposed to just being an anchor? I heard the comments the rep made, but they made no sense at all.

What's next, "power boat" heads as opposed to "sailboat" heads?
Old 15-06-2012, 12:00   #4

Boat: 34 Irwin
So I guess the next thing will be if you motoring you have to use a "power boat anchor" and if you anchoring under sail you need "sailboat anchor"!!!! 😏
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Can anyone explain why this is suppose to be a "power boat" anchor as opposed to just being an anchor? I heard the comments the rep made, but they made no sense at all.

I believe they are refering to how it fits into the pulpit Some of the new powerboat pulpits have a slot where the anchor sildes up into the rollbar of the surpreme generally will not fit these boats
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 13:54   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:

Huh?--he clearly and concisely explained their position in his first response. The shape of the neck, and how bow rollers differ on the 2 boats.
Old 15-06-2012, 16:23   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Huh?--he clearly and concisely explained their position in his first response. The shape of the neck, and how bow rollers differ on the 2 boats.
I guess I didn't hear it as clear... I played that over a number of times.

Oh well, initial reports are good, so I suspect one will see them on a few sailboats.
Old 15-06-2012, 18:17   #8

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I am considering using one of these on a notional ferrocement multi...only the best for the goat! Is it really for sale at WM? Do they have stock or will it be a back order situation.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:29   #9

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
I guess I didn't hear it as clear... I played that over a number of times.

Oh well, initial reports are good, so I suspect one will see them on a few sailboats.
What initial reports? All I've heard is the W32 with the 60# boss. Any other reports you're hearing?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 22:32   #10

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
I was working on ordering my anchor from west marine. They just put the manson boss on the website. There is a problem. The photos shows the old manson boss and not the new. Just want to make sure that West Marine is not getting rid of old design manson boss.

MANSON ANCHORS Galvanized Boss Anchors at West Marine
Weird. Very different looking shank. Can't imagine there's any "old stock" to get rid of since it came on the market like a month ago. Design change late in development? Would love to hear the story here.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 16:10   #11
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: help with anchor....is it the same at west marine?

[QUOTE=jannw;970932]HeHe !! ... Did he seriously say (at 1:45 - 2:05) that they patented a nut and bolt in a slot?????

These are the guys who basically ripped off the Rocna Anchor?

In the same way that Rocna copied Peter Bruce's roll bar, and used long before the Rocna was even conceived, by Wasi and Anchor Right. Not forgetting that the Rocna shank is a copy of the shank developed by Gordon Lyall for the Delta and whilst at it - look at a plan view of the Rocna and a Spade, I wonder which came first.

All anchors today take elements from a previous design, its only Peter Smith who wants to claim, see his website, to be original. And people still believe him and reiterate the garbage.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 16:33   #12

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4#.T9qxQhf2Yk8

Here is a funny video...He says they did this for power boats???? WTH...makes no sense. why would he say this
I have written to Manson in NZ for a clarification on this point, should have an answer before the end of the weekend in the Americas part of the world if they answer promptly.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 16:39   #13
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

A couple of months ago CMP or Rocna, anyway a rep from one of them, said, in an interview with an IPC publication, that they were going to concentrate on the motor boat market, presumably becuase they identified that the sailboat market was a little bit miffed and suspicious (or their, Rocna's, previous antics). Manson might simply be having a, legitimate, go at Rocna.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 15:35   #14

This is the reply I received from Manson Marine NZ re shank shape. In my mail to him I mentioned CF but not old and new models, but you can see by his answer he must have read the thread.

Hi there.
Thanks for the enquiry.
Sorry, the photos on the website were of a prototype, we were still developing the anchor when we launched at METS, and always had earmarked an April launch in stores. All photos are now revised.
I’ve updated the website now, this was supposed to have been done a few weeks ago with the latest drawings.
We have only ever sold one model of Manson Boss, there are no other “old” models on the market.

Thanks very much
Ned
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Old 18-06-2012, 17:17   #15

It appears that some people do not read what is written on the forum as some people have written to Ned art Manson asking about old and new. This terminology was used by the original poster.

His reply that I posted clearly states that the photos were of a prototype and there has only ever been one Boss anchor in production and delivered. There is NO OLD AND NEW just one anchor.

If those who wrote to him had bothered to look at his corrected site they would not have been confused and would have had no need to seek further clarification.

I too had been confused but his explanation was completely clear and I thought it would clear things for the posters here but obviously people do not read nor understand clear explanations. ,

Tags
anchor, marine