Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2021, 13:08   #16

Re: Do I need a line from loop of Mantis Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The problems with anchor buoys have been well discussed. Generally, they produce more problems than they solve. But in specific situations, they can be a useful tool.
Well said...

One thing I have learned about great seamanship over many years from all kinds of great sailors is that it very rarely involves the words "ALWAYS" or "NEVER". Every situation is different and requires thoughtful application of knowledge and experience, not dogma.

But if everybody thought that way the internet would consume many, many fewer pages of repetitious drivel.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 13:22   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
For frequent use I don't like bouys or long trips lines that come back to the boat, so I use a length of Dyneema just bigger than the depth as a Hidden Trip Line

Yes, thanks Grace. This is a cool approach. I can hardly wait to give it a try when I finally get back to my boat ... sometime in 2022 at this rate .
Old 30-01-2021, 15:31   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I had an approximate 3' length of Endura (Dyneema with an outer sleeve) with a loop attached to the trip line hole on my Mantus. The loop would snugly fit over the line drum on my windlass when my anchor was secured on my bow. Most often I would not use this to attach to a trip line, but sometimes I would attach a float on a line to mark my anchor position in a crowded anchorage. Knowing where my anchor was located was a good indicator to encourage others to choose their set wisely. There were a couple of times when I would dive down to this loop to easily attach a trip line if my anchor was snagged.

There is always the possible need to cut an anchor loose. I was once caught in a tangle of cement and rebar that was in a strong current,.... I cut that anchor away. Another time I cut my anchor free without knowing what I had snagged, ...could have been Jimmy Hoffa's car! It's not always that clear Bahamian water! 'dark water, with current and debris is not a safe place to dive.
Old 30-01-2021, 15:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post

I got the anchor up enough to see the cable, the then worked a line under the cable so that I could hold the cable while I dropped tension on the anchor. Once I got the anchor above the cable I dropped the cable. ........................................

Happened to me twice in Clipper Cove, SF Bay. Not one right after the other, decades apart two different locations.

It happens.

No trip line woulda helped for that, only the way hpeer described it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 18:45   #20

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
Mantus is a great anchor, good choice!

It has a hole in the shank near the crown you can use for a trip line or bouy, but I can't think of a reason not to use the roll bar.

We cruise full time and live on the hook and I deploy a trip line 100% of the time. Here in the PNW the water is cold, deep, and the bottom full of stuff to snag an anchor.

For frequent use I don't like bouys or long trips lines that come back to the boat, so I use a length of Dyneema just bigger than the depth as a Hidden Trip Line

I think if you attach a line to the hoop rather than the hole in the shank, and then try to use it to pull the anchor out backwards the anchor won't tip as far and won't necessarily free itself from whatever it is hooked on. You want to pull up from as far forward on the anchor as possible to get it to tip right over backwards. Just a thought.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 00:49   #21

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Do I need a line from loop of Mantis Anchor

In The Saints of Guadeloupe got tangled on Christmas Eve 2015 to a rock that no matter what I had done with a trip line I would have lost the anchor scuba to it set me free. In Charlotte Amalie 2019 tangled to an old anchor chain no trip line would have helped again scuba set us free. But as others have mentioned it depends what you get tangled to down there.

Ernie on the Loremar
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor