Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 21:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 470 47 feet
Do I need a line from loop of Mantis Anchor

I have an 85 pound Mantis anchor. In addition to lots of chain, I have seen some people tie a sturdy line to the hoop on the anchor and claim that they do that in case the anchor gets stuck it can help them retrieve the anchor. Is this a myth or should I consider doing this?

The other benefit they claim is that if the anchor is stuck they can mark it with a fender for future retrieval.

Thanks for your input.
jayarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 03:24   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Do I need a line from loop of Mantis Anchor

I only did this once and it turned out not to matter anyway. It was a big hassle and potential tangle. There is a recent thread in which some clever methods of doing this were devised: ones that I'll use if I ever feel I'll need one (super-rocky bottom, special situation), but having anchored thousands of times without one, I'm pretty comfortable not using it.
If your anchor is stuck and you have to come back later, you're going to slip the rode anyway--may as well just buoy that.
Old 30-01-2021, 04:27   #3

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Anchor bouys are fairly common in this part of the world and widely used to pull a fouled anchor out backwards ,also used in coral areas not a stupid bit of kit ,it’s good to retrieve anchors and tackle as this gear isn’t cheep .⚓️⚓️����
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 05:32   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Most places and times, no.

If you are anchoring somewhere that you are likely to get the anchor stuck, a jagged rocky bottom for example, and there will not be other boats anchoring close to you, then you can use a buoyed line off the loop for retrieval in case you get stuck. Most times/locations this is a bad practice. In a normal anchorage you don't need it and run the risk of another boat swinging over your anchor, snagging the buoy and tripping your anchor loose.

There are several multi-page threads on this question. I just summarize the strong majority opinion.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 06:29   #5

I’ll leave the other posters to argue the relative merits of an anchor buoy (which they will- endlessly)but if you do use one, the roll bar is the WRONG place to tie to.

Mantis anchors have a hole at the “elbow” of the shank specifically for this. It gives a much better lead for a backward pull to extract the anchor from a fouled set. The roll bar doesn’t work nearly as well.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 06:31   #6

Not a specific thing to Mantis. I've seen this suggested before (including books) with no reference to anchor type.

The problem is it's a hassle to deploy and there is a risk of tangling.

In the real world, unless there is some special concern, you will almost never see it done.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:09   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43

As mentioned, anchor buoys can be very useful for fouled anchors. We were in No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne when Storm Isaias came through. We had two anchors set at about 60 degrees apart. After the storm passed, the second anchor couldn't be retrieved using the anchor winch. We had to rely on its anchor buoy and release the rode. Then, we tried to retrieve the fouled anchor using our dinghy but couldn't. We picked up the primary anchor using the anchor winch. Then, we could position our boat advantageously to retrieve the anchor buoy and use the winch to retrieve it (by working the anchor from several positions). It turns out the anchor had buried itself in good thick mud and was quite satisfied to stay down there.
Old 30-01-2021, 07:33   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I’ll leave the other posters to argue the relative merits of an anchor buoy (which they will- endlessly)but if you do use one, the roll bar is the WRONG place to tie to.

Mantis anchors have a hole at the “elbow” of the shank specifically for this. It gives a much better lead for a backward pull to extract the anchor from a fouled set. The roll bar doesn’t work nearly as well.
I was going to argue (endlessly ) that they are mostly not a good idea.

But I was also going to point out that the roll bar is not the best place to attach a trip line (which is the term I know it as). Usually there's an attachment point at the forward end, centre of the fluke. But when I look at the specs and pics of the Mantus M1 I don't see such a thing. In that case, the roll bar might be be only option.

I have a trip line on a buoy ready to deploy as needed, but in my two decades of cruising, I've only felt the need to use it maybe a few dozen times. These cases have always been in pretty remote anchorages where I alone, and thought there was a serious chance of getting my anchor fouled.

The problems with anchor buoys have been well discussed. Generally, they produce more problems than they solve. But in specific situations, they can be a useful tool.
Old 30-01-2021, 08:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Mike,

Some Newfoundland harbors have been badly fouled with discarded gear. I have hooked old gear and was lucky to yet out.

I got the anchor up enough to see the cable, the then worked a line under the cable so that I could hold the cable while I dropped tension on the anchor. Once I got the anchor above the cable I dropped the cable.

Another time I fouled in a big piece of fabric, God knows what it had been. The hat event nearly ended very badly.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 08:59   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post

Exactly!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:03   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Mike,

Some Newfoundland harbors have been badly fouled with discarded gear. I have hooked old gear and was lucky to yet out.

I got the anchor up enough to see the cable, the then worked a line under the cable so that I could hold the cable while I dropped tension on the anchor. Once I got the anchor above the cable I dropped the cable.

Another time I fouled in a big piece of fabric, God knows what it had been. The hat event nearly ended very badly.
Yeah. I snagged a BIG chunk of herring seine net once with my 33 kg. Rocna. Despite having a 6500 lb. capacity hydraulic winch, I had the devil of a time getting free of that thing.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:21   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

125# and 66# Spade with their respective holes with shackles in them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F75A7F74-ABC6-463B-813C-A42A423E06FF.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	231591  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 09:38   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
125# and 66# Spade with their respective holes with shackles in them.
Ah... there it is on the Mantus. Just didn't see it in the diagrams.

Yes, I'm sure there's generations of crap in many Newfoundland harbours. I've been lucky so far.

Ironically (or perhaps telling), I've never had to use my trip line when I've deployed it. Maybe I've appeased the gods enough just by rigging it, because wherever I think there might be a problem, I've had none.

But I've certainly snagged my share of debris. Never lost an anchor yet, but come close. Have hauled up all manner of items from down below. Have worked and wiggled my way off of other stuff I never saw.
Old 30-01-2021, 09:54   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

you can find it all here: https://www.vikinganchors.com/data-c...after-using-it
too much to write again.
Izikalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 11:53   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Mantus is a great anchor, good choice!

It has a hole in the shank near the crown you can use for a trip line or bouy, but I can't think of a reason not to use the roll bar.

We cruise full time and live on the hook and I deploy a trip line 100% of the time. Here in the PNW the water is cold, deep, and the bottom full of stuff to snag an anchor.

For frequent use I don't like bouys or long trips lines that come back to the boat, so I use a length of Dyneema just bigger than the depth as a Hidden Trip Line
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor