Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2021, 12:19   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Chain Hook Choices

Time to make up a new anchor snubber. I have been using just a regular chain hook on my snubber for 10 years and it has never come off and is easy to use. But I have a Mantus chain hook that I won here on CF years ago and just have never spliced a line to it yet (I even since brought the plastic piece).

Is there any benefit to switch to the Mantus hook? It looks all sexy and much thicker than my regular chain hook. But it looks harder to use and I read somewhere (here probably) that it is weaker and/or that it appears to weaken the chain.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:46   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Chain Hook Choices

If you've been doing that for 10 years, I guess I can disregard the advice to use rope to avoid wearing the chain.
Old 10-06-2021, 13:06   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

If what you have is working well I would not change. There is no perfect solution, but if trialling the alternatives then include a soft shackle in the mix. This is the best option for chain/snubber attachment that I have personally found.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 13:22   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Time to make up a new anchor snubber. I have been using just a regular chain hook on my snubber for 10 years and it has never come off and is easy to use. But I have a Mantus chain hook that I won here on CF years ago and just have never spliced a line to it yet (I even since brought the plastic piece).

Is there any benefit to switch to the Mantus hook? It looks all sexy and much thicker than my regular chain hook. But it looks harder to use and I read somewhere (here probably) that it is weaker and/or that it appears to weaken the chain.
Chain hooks generally only come off if the lazy loop is too small or the hook rests on the bottom (the latter is a common problem for cat sailors, since the bridle is long and they often anchor shallow).

The articles you refer to were in Practical Sailor Magazine.

FWIW, the M1 chain hook is no longer on the market and has been replaced by the M2 version.

Personally, I really liked the 1/4-inch version and could work it with one hand. It was the handiest for me, having used rolling hitches, chain hooks, plates, and soft shackles. However, the design apparently did not scale well, and the locking plates on the larger hooks were prone to breaking and were hard to work. The larger plates were also clumsy over the roller. The M2 should not have these problems, but I have not tested it.
Old 10-06-2021, 14:02   #5
CLOD

I don't M1/M2 from anything. Looked at Mantus website and all they show in an M2 thingie I doubt I would ever use. So guess I have an M1, which is massive compared to a 5/16" regular chain hook. Was there an issue with the M1s ?
Old 10-06-2021, 14:56   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Two snubbers for us.

A short one that doesn't touch the water with victory hook that drops off by itself on retrieval.
No need for anyone up front and snubber doesn't go green if in water for several days.

If weather is on the cards a longer one with soft shackle
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 15:05   #7

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
If what you have is working well I would not change. There is no perfect solution, but if trialling the alternatives then include a soft shackle in the mix. This is the best option for chain/snubber attachment that I have personally found.
I have a Mantus (M1 with plastic gate), a Wichard with a little spring loaded gate closer, a SS standard chain hook and a galvanized standard hook. Last year I switched to a Dyneema climbing sling and soft shackle. I will never go back to using chain hooks.

Anyone old enough and socially inclined to have read Richard Brautigan's "Trout Fishing in America" (circa 1960's) may recall a line that over the years the protagonist caught few fish, because they either fell of, flopped off or f**** off the hook. For me, anchor hooks have behaved similarly. And of course other love them. One of the beauties of sailing is the opportunity to improvise and ad lib solutions to endless challenges.
Old 11-06-2021, 11:08   #8
CLOD

What is so great about a soft shackle for a snubber line? I know there have been lots of threads, but I haven't read as I never wondered why people like them.

Meanwhile I brought a new regular chain hook today under the "it isn't broke why change" method of scientific boat decisions.
Old 11-06-2021, 14:00   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

We used a Mantus M1 chain hook for four years, including a four month stint of anchoring in Bahamas and moving frequently. When we purchased, there was no plastic gate in the design, to the best of my knowledge. Never had one on it. It never came unhooked unintentionally. We would sag the chain between the hook end of bridle and the boat, to keep boat-side load on it.

We sold that boat and i now have the M2. It works fine, but is more complicated to hook up with the little strap. If they still made it in 8 mm, i would still be using the M1 sans plastic gate.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 14:47   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
What is so great about a soft shackle for a snubber line? I know there have been lots of threads, but I haven't read as I never wondered why people like them.

It doesn't wear the galvanizing, won't flog loose, and is as strong as the chain.

Maybe that's true of the hooks also, at least for you. I wouldn't change either with that sort of track record
Old 13-06-2021, 17:53   #11
CLOD

I was looking at my regular new chain hook this morning. It has only half the load rating of my chain. Seems a weal link really, but i don't know the rating of my old setup.
Old 13-06-2021, 17:54   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Personally, for a snubber on chain I just use a line with a spliced eye. Other than having to (quickly) pull 30 feet of line through the eye, it's quick and easy. Just make a prusik onto the chain and cleat it off, then add some slack to the chain as needed to allow for stretch.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2021, 18:04   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Used a rolling hitch on the snubber 24/7/365. Worked great, came undone easily to remove and the price was right. Tried a regular chain tool but it would stay on if moused which was a PITA.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 20:56   #14

We were using a 14mm dynema prusik knot connecting our bridle to 8mm high strength SS chain.
Worked fine but in delirious fit of online parts shopping decided to go a Mantus M2 hook. Arrived all nice and shiny.
Worked great…for 2 weeks… until the rubber retaining strap broke off at it came over the roller compressed by the chain.
No joy from the French based seller when I asked for a replacement strap and advice on avoiding it failing again.
An expensive piece of useless foredeck jewellery!
Back to the old ways.
Manta Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 21:41   #15

Geez… so many complications.

People who use the devil’s claw style chain hooks and do not have them fall off are ALWAYS using snubbers that are way too short. A 6 foot length of line is NOT a snubber. You might as well just wrap the chain on a cleat.

Use a 30 foot snubber, and just tie a rolling hitch, and be done with it. Works every time, never comes off. We have tried all the alternatives, and just keep coming back to the same old fashioned solution because it works.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote